Bamboo tube call

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
NCTarheel

Bamboo tube call

Post by NCTarheel »

Raspy...and spits feathers! Bamboo makes an awesome tube call. The slanted mouthpiece facilitates you making adjustments just like a mouth diaphragm. Making the slanted mouthpiece is time consuming and a pain, but it is worth the extra effort. You can even put on multiple layers of latex....
Attachments
Slanted Bamboo RS.jpg
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Bamboo tube call

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Well I'll be danged... I can see it being raspy bamboo isn't very dense is it
NCTarheel

Post by NCTarheel »

No, bamboo isn't very dense...and the call is very light weight. From my experience, it takes about 4 years to dry bamboo properly for me to be able to cut and shape it like I want it for the slanted mouthpiece. Also, the diameter of the bamboo matters...I'm particular. I have turned wood tube calls, but the bamboo tubes are my favorite...and I can do the slanted mouthpiece easier on the bamboo tube than on a wood tube. There is a lot more work making a slanted mouthpiece than it looks like it would be, but the adjustments you can make to the latex on the slanted mouthpiece make it worth the effort...and cost. You can layer latex just like a mouth diaphragm if you desire.
NCTarheel

Post by NCTarheel »

I believe I like the shorty bamboo tube calls the best. With the shorty tube, I can baffle off the tube with my hands just like I would with a mouth diaphragm or a trumpet call.
Attachments
4Bamboo2rs.jpg
4Bamboo2rs.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Looks neat
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Just what I need, another project! I've got cured bamboo. Are you cutting the bamboo at a joint to facilitate the lower lip rest, then removing the remainder of the joint w/ the slanted mouthpiece a part of the upper adjacent bamboo?
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Fire up one of those badboys love to hear
NCTarheel

Post by NCTarheel »

No, I am not cutting the bamboo at a joint to facilitate the lip rest. The bamboo flares out at the joint...I don't want that. I want the bamboo as straight and round as possible. I cut out the lip rest and fit it to the inner dimensions of the bamboo tube...this is more labor intensive, but it's how I prefer it be done. I want the angle on the bamboo tube for the latex close to the same angle you position a mouth diaphragm in your mouth. I'm experimenting with multiple layers of latex on the shorty bamboo tube, and if I can figure out an easy way to position and layer the latex to install it on the tube I'll be set to go.
NCTarheel

Post by NCTarheel »

Here's what the pieces look like before I put it together.....

Have fun!!!
Attachments
shorty2rs.jpg
shorty2rs.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
NCTarheel

Post by NCTarheel »

I need four hands...I was able to get two layers of latex on and straight. This tube call will really whistle...oh, how I wish NC still had a fall turkey hunting season!!! I haven't attempted three layers of latex, but I'm confident I can easily get three layers on. I really like a bamboo tube turkey call....
Attachments
Bamboo2ply2rs.jpg
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

NCTarheel wrote: June 6th, 2022, 11:38 am I need four hands...I was able to get two layers of latex on and straight. This tube call will really whistle...oh, how I wish NC still had a fall turkey hunting season!!! I haven't attempted three layers of latex, but I'm confident I can easily get three layers on. I really like a bamboo tube turkey call....
I know the feeling other day I broke into a new metal original qb snuff can where the lid takes the place of the o ring... 2 hrs and a billion cuss words later had it set....

I used to the plastic lid which I can replace or tune on the fly in about 30 seconds....

Return to “Call Makers”