Help me pick a rifle and blind

Everything pertaining to deer.
dsunday

Help me pick a rifle and blind

Post by dsunday »

What are your picks for a 270 with a walnut stock? Prefer it to be US made but I don't know what is left. Ruger, weatherby?

Now I have a young kiddo who wants to come along hunting. What kinds of blinds have you used? The portable ones (even like double bull) seem to get torn up by our kansas wind. Any home made plans? Something like a $2000 muddy or redneck is out of the budget.

Thanks
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Help me pick a rifle and blind

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I've always been partial to the Savage 110 models. I think they're still available with wooden stocks, but those versions have shot up in price in recent years.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Barronet blinds have some heavy duty blinds. But for longevity a shack would be feasible cheaper than them expensive blinds.

Older model 7 or a 700 Remington is available in wood
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I'll have to see if I can find the link there was a polymer blind that was five panels with Windows 100 bucks off on black Friday making it 650, I believe it was only 4x4 but only weighed 75lbs...
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

[/url]Here it is I think... Seems like a good deal..

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro ... EALw_wcB
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Savage rifle with an Accu-trigger. Build a natural blind slowly where you want to hunt. :thumbup:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
BirdCatcher

Post by BirdCatcher »

Not many choices for a new walnut stocked, made in the USA 270 win. Savage 110 Classic comes in 270 Win.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firear ... ry&s=57424
“What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I'm glad to see the love for Savage.. I have a Ruger 77 with the tang safety in blued and wood.

You mentioned a up and comer.. Don't rule out a 7 mm-08 or 243.. Both fantastic deer rounds and something you can pass along as he grows
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Tikka for the rifle and I don't hunt blinds
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

:canada:
ICDEDTURKES wrote: December 5th, 2021, 9:47 pm I'm glad to see the love for Savage.. I have a Ruger 77 with the tang safety in blued and wood.

You mentioned a up and comer.. Don't rule out a 7 mm-08 or 243.. Both fantastic deer rounds and something you can pass along as he grows
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'm sold on getting her a 7mm08 in the future. My thought was a hard side blind might keep her more comfortable and quiet.

I was hesitant to mention it might be used in turkey season but that is blasphemy to some!
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

There is no shame in taking a young or inexperinced hunter turkey hunting in a blind.

All my kids shot their first turkeys out of blinds and I am not above dropping in a blind for an afternoon sit if I am playing the waiting game.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

dsunday wrote: December 6th, 2021, 7:39 am :canada:
ICDEDTURKES wrote: December 5th, 2021, 9:47 pm I'm glad to see the love for Savage.. I have a Ruger 77 with the tang safety in blued and wood.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'm sold on getting her a 7mm08 in the future. My thought was a hard side blind might keep her more comfortable and quiet.

I was hesitant to mention it might be used in turkey season but that is blasphemy to some!
Look at the blind I linked.. That's fairly inexpensive for prefab.. Most folks round here build there own...
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: December 6th, 2021, 10:09 am
dsunday wrote: December 6th, 2021, 7:39 am :canada:

Yes that looks like a good deal. Unfortunately the shipping is rough! Will try to find a local dealer. Thanks

Look at the blind I linked.. That's fairly inexpensive for prefab.. Most folks round here build there own...

Return to “Deer Hunting”