Number 1 hunting tip

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Roy

Re: Number 1 hunting tip

Post by Roy »

guesswho wrote: March 1st, 2021, 4:02 pm
Roy wrote: March 1st, 2021, 3:46 pm Take a small blanket for a small nap
What if I want to take a big nap?
Alarm clock :P
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

guesswho wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:46 pm If you hunt in Ohio, don’t hunt where HunterGKS has been hunting.
:bootyshake: :LMAO: :LMAO: :turkeywave:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
crow

Post by crow »

Hognutz wrote: March 1st, 2021, 4:20 pmNap..
LOL
shaman

Post by shaman »

+1 on hunting vs. couch surfing
+1 on hunting where they are and not where they aren't
+1 on tactical napping

What got my hunting success turned around was:

1) Throwing out everything I'd read and heard about turkey hunting from other people and learning to observe for myself. That led to. . .
2) . . .Learning to be where the birds are going to be rather than chasing them.

To be more specific, when I got my property in 2001, I started out on the assumption (I'd read it many times) that the best place to start hunting was creek bottoms. Birds liked to water first thing in the morning. Indeed, I had a creek bottom that was filled with roosting birds. It did not help any that I had once seen a gobbler deliberately break through the ice to get to water during a late season bow hunt. I spent the bulk of 3 seasons in that bottom and never did get a bird from down there. I always ended up chasing them back up to the top of the ridge across the span of the morning. I finally tossed all the book learning out and started hanging out on top of the ridge. I filled both tags that year.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

The best tip I can give anyone with any type of hunting is to hunt safe. You can't kill him if you're not able to hunt
El Sicario

Post by 935 »

appalachianassassin wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:24 pm The best tip I can give anyone with any type of hunting is to hunt safe. You can't kill him if you're not able to hunt
+1
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

ol bob wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:01 am #1 tip hunt where there are birds, old timer told me this many years ago.
True of absolutely ALL animals we hunt and excellent advise. Can't kill um if they aint there. But just as important can't kill from your kitchen.
In 35+ turkey seasons I have never let snow, rain, lightning, hail or cold keep me out of the woods. I have hunted in every possible weather condition imaginable and have killed turkeys in every weather condition you can possibly imagine.

About 7-8 years ago the weather for the opening day on some good public lad I know of was predicted to be absolutely horrible. Very high sustained winds severe T-storms with very heavy rain AND hail. BUT the storm was also predicted to blow out about 9am and get sunny no wind and 60*. My friend and I donned out Gore-Tex and went and did stand by and ended up getting drawn and being 2 of the only 4 hunters that hunted that day. We were the ONLY two guys who showed for the stand by draw. We both ended up each killing a big ole paint beard Tom together from the same group of four toms out in a field displaying.
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

RBMTDJager wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:52 pm
ol bob wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:01 am #1 tip hunt where there are birds, old timer told me this many years ago.
True of absolutely ALL animals we hunt and excellent advise. Can't kill um if they aint there. But just as important can't kill from your kitchen.
In 35+ turkey seasons I have never let snow, rain, lightning, hail or cold keep me out of the woods. I have hunted in every possible weather condition imaginable and have killed turkeys in every weather condition you can possibly imagine.

About 7-8 years ago the weather for the opening day on some good public lad I know of was predicted to be absolutely horrible. Very high sustained winds severe T-storms with very heavy rain AND hail. BUT the storm was also predicted to blow out about 9am and get sunny no wind and 60*. My friend and I donned out Gore-Tex and went and did stand by and ended up getting drawn and being 2 of the only 4 hunters that hunted that day. We were the ONLY two guys who showed for the stand by draw. We both ended up each killing a big ole paint beard Tom together from the same group of four toms out in a field displaying.
Third best piece of advice I can give any beginning turkey hunter is try as best as you can to put yourself in the direction the birds are most likely to travel because if you can get between the Tom(s) and the direction he wants to travel your are the best caller you've ever seen.
tiara26

Post by tiara26 »

My tip is to Learn Different Ways to Call. My suggestion is to learn how to use a box call, a mouth (diaphragm) call, and then one other style of your preference. For example, If a gobbler is approaching and you are sitting at the base of a tree in its visual range, trying to operate a box call will get you busted. This is when a mouth or diaphragm call is gold.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Don’t go after this one in Ohio. He will be quiet next spring!!!
2A988740-7878-4CA8-87AC-FC1B0BF701B8.jpeg
527B3283-B1B5-46D7-A981-48BE18CD61A8.jpeg
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

A key tip I’ve learned the hard way. Listen to the local ole timers they been hunting that ground for many years they know a thing or two
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

After having many chances at killing a gobbler I finally realized that i should load my gun when i get out the truck instead of waiting till the gobbler is in my lap & then loading my gun ! :slap:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

vaturkey wrote: September 4th, 2022, 7:17 pm After having many chances at killing a gobbler I finally realized that i should load my gun when i get out the truck instead of waiting till the gobbler is in my lap & then loading my gun ! :slap:
Facts!
Turkinator wrote: September 4th, 2022, 8:52 am Don’t go after this one in Ohio. He will be quiet next spring!!!
2A988740-7878-4CA8-87AC-FC1B0BF701B8.jpeg
Unless you like hunting ghosts :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Hoobilly wrote: September 4th, 2022, 7:47 pm
vaturkey wrote: September 4th, 2022, 7:17 pm After having many chances at killing a gobbler I finally realized that i should load my gun when i get out the truck instead of waiting till the gobbler is in my lap & then loading my gun ! :slap:
Facts!
Turkinator wrote: September 4th, 2022, 8:52 am Don’t go after this one in Ohio. He will be quiet next spring!!!2A988740-7878-4CA8-87AC-FC1B0BF701B8.jpeg527B3283-B1B5-46D7-A981-48BE18CD61A8.jpeg527B3283-B1B5-46D7-A981-48BE18CD61A8.jpeg
Unless you like hunting ghosts :LMAO:
Ghost hunting is fun 😂
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Who you gona call?
henry02

Post by henry02 »

decoykrvr wrote: May 13th, 2020, 9:49 pm I was recently asked by a novice turkey hunter what was my best hunting tip gleaned by almost 4 decades of chasing gobblers and without hesitation I told him, "You can't kill them in the bed!" If you're not out there with them, you won't kill squat! I've killed quite a few gobblers just by getting into the woods in an area with birds, setting up comfortably to sleep/hunt w/ my "turkey ears" on, "cutting a rusty", which is a frenzied series of calls on a box, pot, and diaphragm and then just clucking/yelping between naps. When your dog tired, worn out, frustrated and thinking about sleeping in , give it a try, especially in late season when the gobblers are worn out too and cruising mid to late morning looking for a little action.
That's great , I shared it with my fellows.
Hoblin4Toms

Post by Hoblin4Toms »

After he answers you, ask yourself
“okay, what’s going to screw up THIS hunt?”
It puts you in the proper mindset to open up your brain
And troubleshoot as it unfolds.
:turkeywave:
Hoblin4Toms

Post by Hoblin4Toms »

After he answers you, ask yourself
“okay, what’s going to screw up THIS hunt?”
It puts you in the proper mindset to open up your brain
And troubleshoot as it unfolds.
:turkeywave:
Billinwv

Post by Billinwv »

After hunting turkeys in the Spring for 44 years I’ve found out that you can never take things for granted in the turkey woods. I continue to hunt public land and pressured private ground as well. My biggest tip is listen to what other hunters are using and use something else, especially after most of those two year old birds have already been harvested. Softer calling on friction calls and being patient has been the the ticket for me, especially later in the season.
KS

Post by KS »

I've always thought about the turkey and the hunter being two pong balls on a large map. Each bouncing around, and to win you basically have to intersect very near the other ball at the right time. If you know he's in the NE corner of the map at 1 pm, you should be bouncing there (and each piece of knowledge helps). The more time you spend playing the game (on the map), the better your odds get. If you know everyday he crossed down the southern section of a particular road, patience and sitting still can be your friend. Be observant, learn from prior encounters, be more quite than your think you should be most of the time, and be ready constantly. The next 5 steps could put you in his zone.
Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

Simple, ol bob already said it. Hunt where the birds are. Getting up early, hunting hard, never giving up, etc etc etc are useless if we’re hunting bird less terrain. You can be the best caller but a true nimrod would out harvest you easily if you hunt where birds aren’t and he’s in em.
duckp

Post by duckp »

don,t forget to spray down for ticks can ruin the best of turkey hunts
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

guesswho wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:46 pm If you hunt in Ohio, don’t hunt where HunterGKS has been hunting.
Wise words of wisdom, der' :thumbup:

N' also, when ya' run n' gun, have somethin' to set on when U settle fer' da' kill, cause ya' might set on a Fireant population :LMAO: :evil: :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Particularly in steep or thick terrain I shoot a lot of birds standing up, mush easer to see them coming and in the steep stuff those peak a boo birds get it before they are peaking!

Also learn to shoot off handed, killed many lefty also.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Use a compass to course the bird, especially in the dark. If he shuts up, you still know the direction. Side stepping thickets, water, etc. can get you off direction, but the compass will show the way. Gil

Return to “Hunt Strategies”