TSS and choke tubes

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
chipper

TSS and choke tubes

Post by chipper »

just purchased tss from Hal and this is my 1st post on this forum. I'm going to shoot a 3'' duplex of 8x9 but dont know where to start on choke constriction. i will be using a Winchester SX3 and have sevral tubes, i tagged out in Tn. this year using the sx3 and a .665 IC shooting 2.25 oz. #7 Hevi and have been thinking of making the jump to TSS and rolling my own. I have the following chokes and Hal give me his opinion on what choke will be best but i want to know from the rest of you, especially if your shooting a Invector + .742 barrel. My choices are:
.665 IC
.670 PG
.675 madd super max
.675 kicks gt
.680 Trulock precision hunter

What do you think will work the best with a 3" 2 oz. duplex 8x9 load?
Thank you for your input!
Andy S.

Re: TSS and choke tubes

Post by Andy S. »

Something in the .675 -.685 range, and the only way to see how an exact one performs is to shoot it. In my REM 12 GA that I once hunted with and used .665 IC and 3.5" MagBlends, I now use an IC .685 (custom ordered) for straight TSS, TSS/HEVI, and TSS/Lead blends.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

We shoot the IC .665 in a SX3 with TSS and it's a killer. Can't remember the numbers but it was impressive. That's where I would start.
MeadowCreekMounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

I would bet the IC will shoot really well, but the core might be a little hot with not much in the 20. The PG might be a killer, as might the Trulock.

I haven't seen a Kicks shoot TSS that great yet, also I've seen others comment about its poor performance.
madmike1977

Post by madmike1977 »

I shoot a bps and it has a .742 bore, my best patterns have been with a Winchester turkey choke that came with my sx3. It's a .660 , shooting 2 Oz. #9 tss.
Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

Roll them up and burn some powder through them all and hunt with the best combo. Every gun I have set up has been different, some like more open and some more constricted chokes and the size of the shot will make a difference on patterning and how much choke you'll need. It's the Only way to find out what yours wants with the load you are shooting.
chipper

Post by chipper »

Yeah, I know, I'm hoping for the Indian Creek or Pure gold to work out but I fear they'Ll be to much constriction. If they are I think I'll buy a Pure Gold buckshot choke, we shall find out next week sometime though.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

chipper wrote:Yeah, I know, I'm hoping for the Indian Creek or Pure gold to work out but I fear they'Ll be to much constriction. If they are I think I'll buy a Pure Gold buckshot choke, we shall find out next week sometime though.
Dont buy pure gold buck shot... I can send you mine to try first.
chipper

Post by chipper »

Cool thanks guys.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”