Over Under VS Semi Dove Guns

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Lip

Over Under VS Semi Dove Guns

Post by Lip »

I've started a decent collection of Benelli shotguns over the last couple years and was wondering you all's take on a dove gun. What is the selling point on the over under guns compared to a semi? I am debating the 828u vs the Montefeltro silver in 20.
So far, I've got the Super Vinci, M2 12, M2 20, and SBE 3 20. Open to suggestions on other brands, I really liked the Beretta silver pigeon but figured I have come this far with Benelli why change now.
Dtrkyman

Re: Over Under VS Semi Dove Guns

Post by Dtrkyman »

I primarily hunt with a semi 20ga, older Browning gold. When I know I have lot's of birds and a good shoot it is an O/U .410.

Main advantage to the O/U is having two chokes normally but my .410 is fixed barrels.

With what you already have and sticking to Benelli I would go ultra light 28ga.

The silver pidgeon is a hell of a gun!
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

For doves, a Montefeltro would be a fine, fine choice.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Most will kill as many doves with a double vs. an auto whether side by side or over and under with fewer shells shot. In most hands, the third shot is an often "I wish I didn't do that shot." If the guns weigh the same, a gas operated auto has less felt recoil than a break action. Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I do all my dove hunting with a 12 gauge Beretta 626 Onyx that I converted to double triggers. It fits me and I shoot it better than any of my SA guns, so I have quit experimenting. Most of the hunts I go on are with just 3 or 4 people and we usually get a lot of different types of shots, at varying distance. The 2 chokes of the SxS come in handy, and I take that further by carrying 2 different handloads - one for each barrel.

Most folks wouldn't wanna go to that much trouble, but I enjoy being a little meticulous with it.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I switch back and forth between a Benelli SBE2 12ga and a 1950s Browning Superposed 12ga. Shoot both about the same. As has been stated, a lot depends on the field and the birds.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

We can’t shoot doves here in New York no season. But for pigeons I will carry my side by side urgartechea 20 gauge super light gun and when the pigeons are hitting the farm fields hard you can get on them quick
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I have shot a ton of doves with SA gas guns as well as my Beretta O/U. I generally carry my 12 ga 1187 for the reduced recoil. When I went to Argentina in the late 90s I bought a 20 ga 1100 that tipped the scales at almost 8 pounds, the heaviest 20 ga I have ever handled, but boy was it a soft shooter. Sold it to a friend that had had shoulder surgery after I got home, because it defeated the purpose of having a lightweight 20 ga and I saw no real advantage to lugging a heavy 20.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

I have a TriStar o/u 20 works great as a bird gun
IMG_4435.jpeg
IMG_4436.jpeg
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

There is nothing that is more fun to shoot than my 28ga 687 grade 4 in a dove field. I may not kill the most birds on the field but I have fun with that little gun!
Jethro15

Post by Jethro15 »

I shoot Browning Citori 525 Sporting in 12 and 20, and have 410 tubes for the 20 gauge. If I’m hunting where I can easily pick up hulls, I’ll shoot some of my semi autos.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Pros of the O/U are I shoot less shells , I shoot it as good or better slightly than all the Semi Autos .
Cons are you will spend more time looking for birds with a break action as you have to look down to reload , that split second will add 15 seconds plus to recovery of each bird . And seconds count when they swarm the field . You can load a auto walking and looking where you marked your bird

Now the guage issue , shoot a 12 ga and show them no quarter ! 30 yrs ago I would only shoot 1 1/4 oz loads these days better powder , better shot , better wads,
aftermarket chokes I shoot 1 1/8 and 1 oz loads and can kill them as far as I ever could . I get in on 20 or so shoots a year so I have alot of time to try new things . My Browning 325 , 425 and Miroku all get shot morning and evening shoots. When a shotgun fits , it shoots where you looking .
Now the guage issue . The best shots in the world can only consistently kill doves out to 45 yards with a 20 ga and 2 3/4 inch dove loads , 7/8 or 1 oz doesn't really matter , and that drops off with each smaller guage
With the new shells and aftermarket chokes 50 to 70 yds is commonplace for good shots . Even farther with the bunch of Verified Dove Murderers I grew up shooting Sporting Clay's and Doves with . I shoot a hard choke ( tight ) alot harder than I grew up shooting . Good sporting clay loads and a gun that fits , dont get me wrong on small fields and close shooting I shoot a 20 ga Browning 525 , M2 or a 11 -87 and love it but fields over 5 acres and I'm leaving the truck with a 12 ga and 1250 fps 7.5 's as the bare minimum.
10th Legion legionare !
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

All depends on if you want to shoot triples or just doubles. Some of the fields I hunt around me we get 30 packs and good sized groups that decoy like ducks. If I have a 2 barrel its hard to shoot a triple out of a group.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Even with a dog, shooting doubles is a sure fire way to lose one bird, or spend more time looking for birds on the ground than in the sky as action can be fast and short. One field owner asks that people only shoot one at a time as many birds are lost shooting doubles. Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Even with a dog, shooting doubles in fields with cover is a sure fire way to lose one bird, or spend more time looking for birds on the ground than in the sky as action can be fast and short. One field owner asks that people only shoot one at a time as many birds are lost shooting doubles. Gil
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

GLS wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am Even with a dog, shooting doubles in fields with cover is a sure fire way to lose one bird, or spend more time looking for birds on the ground than in the sky as action can be fast and short. One field owner asks that people only shoot one at a time as many birds are lost shooting doubles. Gil

Always have my dog with me shes really good at marking and has a hell of a nose. Most of the fields I hunt are silage or picked corn fields, every now and then a sunflower field. If we are close to a bean field no shots are ever taken over it.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

hookedspur wrote: June 1st, 2023, 8:54 am I have a TriStar o/u 20 works great as a bird gun
IMG_4435.jpegIMG_4436.jpeg
I have that same gun in a 16ga, I really like it. I was pleasantly surprised. I have been considering adding another to the safe either 20 or 28.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

GLS wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am Even with a dog, shooting doubles in fields with cover is a sure fire way to lose one bird, or spend more time looking for birds on the ground than in the sky as action can be fast and short. One field owner asks that people only shoot one at a time as many birds are lost shooting doubles. Gil
If you are hunting with a dog and still losing birds you may need to trade in your "retriever" for a Drahthaar... :D
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

I thought it, you said it. My chessie will wear the ground out if you put her in the general area and tell her hunt dead. We don’t loose many birds and my buddies are always yelling “Can you send the dog over”
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

DBLGBL wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 11:10 am I thought it, you said it. My chessie will wear the ground out if you put her in the general area and tell her hunt dead. We don’t loose many birds and my buddies are always yelling “Can you send the dog over”
:argue:
Attachments
43B9022F-C0F3-4523-B75F-7366BA631D73.jpeg
46818F18-BDF5-4E88-8B7B-4F0759EBBCEB.jpeg
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

DBLGBL wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 11:29 am
DBLGBL wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 11:10 am I thought it, you said it. My chessie will wear the ground out if you put her in the general area and tell her hunt dead. We don’t loose many birds and my buddies are always yelling “Can you send the dog over”
:argue:
Is your name Rick by any chance?
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Not Ricky….Miller
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

2nd100 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 6:37 pm Pros of the O/U are I shoot less shells , I shoot it as good or better slightly than all the Semi Autos .
Cons are you will spend more time looking for birds with a break action as you have to look down to reload , that split second will add 15 seconds plus to recovery of each bird . And seconds count when they swarm the field . You can load a auto walking and looking where you marked your bird

Now the guage issue , shoot a 12 ga and show them no quarter ! 30 yrs ago I would only shoot 1 1/4 oz loads these days better powder , better shot , better wads,
aftermarket chokes I shoot 1 1/8 and 1 oz loads and can kill them as far as I ever could . I get in on 20 or so shoots a year so I have alot of time to try new things . My Browning 325 , 425 and Miroku all get shot morning and evening shoots. When a shotgun fits , it shoots where you looking .
Now the guage issue . The best shots in the world can only consistently kill doves out to 45 yards with a 20 ga and 2 3/4 inch dove loads , 7/8 or 1 oz doesn't really matter , and that drops off with each smaller guage
With the new shells and aftermarket chokes 50 to 70 yds is commonplace for good shots . Even farther with the bunch of Verified Dove Murderers I grew up shooting Sporting Clay's and Doves with . I shoot a hard choke ( tight ) alot harder than I grew up shooting . Good sporting clay loads and a gun that fits , dont get me wrong on small fields and close shooting I shoot a 20 ga Browning 525 , M2 or a 11 -87 and love it but fields over 5 acres and I'm leaving the truck with a 12 ga and 1250 fps 7.5 's as the bare minimum.
I would argue the opposite on loading the gun without looking. The places I usually hunt absolutely require me to mark the bird and walk to him without looking at the gun to reload. This is where ejectors really help speed up the process on my SXS.

When I shoot the bird, I mark him and open the gun to eject the shell as I start towards the bird. I reload, so I pick up the hulls periodically. The ejector throws out the hull and I reach into my vest, get the appropriate shell, and insert it without looking, all while walking to the bird.

Sometimes I can mark one by a landmark and take my eyes off the spot while walking, leaving me the chance to shoot another one. When I open the gun after a shot away from my stand, I catch the hull with my hand and insert it into a different pocket on the vest. Trying to find the ejected hull from a SA would surely be a lot harder. The only advantage I've found of a SA is that 3rd shot. It's not often an issue on a dove hunt for me.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

DBLGBL wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 4:38 pm Not Ricky….Miller
Right on, your chessie looked very similar to a wing shooter off of another site. His name is Rick Hall
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Familiar name. I think he is in duck hunting circles and maybe a Chessie breeder. Not sure. This little girl is my second dog out of Whiskey creek line. She is only 1.5 years old in that picture. At 6 months she picked up 60 birds on the opener. Pretty proud of how she is turning out.

2Gbl

Return to “Gun Talk”