What wood for box call for SE

Call makers showcase and advice on call making.
ehgbyf

What wood for box call for SE

Post by ehgbyf »

What wood sounds the best for birds in the SE? I want a new box but want to make sure I make the right decision on the wood.

Thanks
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What wood for box call for SE

Post by GLS »

Neil Cost used several different woods: Cedar, poplar, butternut. He often used a walnut striker for these woods, but also the same wood the box was made. He also used cypress, but not as much as he used poplar. Gil
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Its more about the maker than the wood.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
ehgbyf

Post by ehgbyf »

Who makes a good one?
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

David Halloran makes a fine box call.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

David's new Sapelle box with a purpleheart lid is a smoker , I handled over 50 this year alone . ( Perks of the job )
His walnut box with Macassar ebony lid is a go to also . And his Cedar box with Purpleheart lid is good ones also .
Jeff McCammey and Shag hill ( Jeff Lacey ) build some good ones that are accessible most times . All good guys , and got turkey hunters and that is where I'd want to spend my money !
10th Legion legionare !
ehgbyf

Post by ehgbyf »

I got the cedar with Purple Heart
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Neil Cost would often cut red cedar from standing dead trees on a friend's property near Edgefield, SC. I have a box made by Lamar Williams 20 years ago made from poplar with a walnut lid. Cost mentored him in addition to several other call makers here in the SE. My earliest Cost call is all cedar cut from a tree off of Todd's family farm on Curl Tail Creek almost 50 years ago. It has only been in the last year that I was aware of the connection. Gil
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Jatoba/holly. Can only buy at Unicoi but Wendell Lancaster.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

For over 30 years, until I fell and cracked one side of the call, my go to box which talked to hundreds of birds and was the death of numerous gobblers was a Hall & Hall, all cedar, one-sider. In the early 80's, I had gone to Perry, Georgia to one of the early Buckarama shows and after talking with Terry Hall at his table he started picking up and playing the box calls which he had personally crafted. Terry told me to walk the show and come back in a couple of hours, which I did. Terry handed me an all cedar one-sider and said, "This box is all turkey and will get the job done!" He was so right. I gave him $12. RIP Terry Hall.
Last edited by decoykrvr on March 26th, 2023, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

If you could stand a 2 to 3 year wait I would most certainly do a Lamar Williams box in any wood he offered . If you get picky it could take 5 + years to get a call . But it would be worth the wait for sure ! I have a couple from him ( couple Dozen ... lol ) and know they are quality , but everyone cant wait several years on a box call .
When you want some of the very best boxes made and want Cost influence , Go Lamar Williams, Steve Mann or Marlin Watkins , most of Marlins are fiddle box calls but I own 3 or 4 Cost style he made some time ago.
You cant go wrong with any of these 3 , as I have played a large pile of their calls thru out the years and can say I have NEVER picked up any of these callmakers calls that didnt play on both sides and play very well on both sides .
I can't say that for several callmakers whose calls left something to be desired on at least one side and some that left alot to be desired on both sides .
10th Legion legionare !
NCTarheel

Post by NCTarheel »

When you make of list of callmakers that Neil Cost had a direct influence, you need to include Albert Paul. Albert Paul's box calls are as fine as any box call you will ever take into the turkey woods.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Jody Harrison is a solid option as well!!! Goes by Preacherman turkey calls, and he makes a fine sounding and looking box. His snakewood over holly is great, as well as a bloodwood over limba!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

NCTarheel wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:42 pm When you make of list of callmakers that Neil Cost had a direct influence, you need to include Albert Paul. Albert Paul's box calls are as fine as any box call you will ever take into the turkey woods.
I had a nice Paul "Henry Davis" holly short box, smaller than a standard Cost or Lamar Williams call. I won't tell you where it is, but if you find it, it will be in the thickest, cat claw laced titi bay tangle I've ever tried to penetrate in the lowcountry, along with a Thermocel, wrist compass and half-pint of my blood. No, it wasn't worth it losing the above as I didn't get the bird. Bay was 10-15 yards wide and my boots never touched ground as I climbed through it. Gil
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

get a Bob Harwell box might not have to wait long
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Darren Dawkins makes the best sounding box I have used. Dan Harris makes a great box as well.

If you like the Lynch style box, either fool proof or two sided, then contact Allen Jenkins and get one of his. He used to own Lynch and still makes the same style call as a custom box and waaaay better quality control than the current or recent past Lynch products.

The others mentioned above are all good choices as well.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Matt Van Cise makes a really nice box call. Reasonably priced also.
misfire

Post by misfire »

Bob Harwell makes a great call, I would also recommend SS Custom calls, great guys.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Turkeys are turkeys and like what they like. A good sounding call will probably work in ANY part of the country. I have a McKamey LB that easterns, oceolas and rios (merriams are next) have slopped up like sausage gravy! Its bloodwood over poplar. But back to the OP question .... the old school traditional domestic wood combos like walnut over butternut or poplar seem to me to provide a sound that is a little more mellow and more real turkey to me but thats JMO. Exotic combos like bloodwood over limba and so forth can be really loud and proud and can be a challenge to tone down and run soft. Again, JMO. Alot of good recommendations above. Agreed the callmaker is a very important part of the deal. Maybe more than the wood. There is no guarantee with a turkey. Listen for whatever a "turkey in your head" sounds like to you and go with that. Whatever wood it is.

Return to “Call Makers”