Personal observations on Mr. Fox vest

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
decoykrvr

Personal observations on Mr. Fox vest

Post by decoykrvr »

All the hype on the Mr. Fox vest reminds me of Pinkley reviewing the troops in "The Dirty Dozen". As Pinkley commented, "Pretty, very pretty Colonel, but can they fight?" I just wonder how many turkeys have been killed because of a given vest. I fully understand the work and craftsmanship which goes into a custom turkey call and have personally witnessed the efficacy and results which justifies the cost, but a vest is just a convenience to carry all your turkey hunting gear. I bought the first vest which I ever saw in the 80's, which was made by Duxback and replaced it with an original Mossy Oak Longbeard vest several years later with a sitting pad which I replaced with a custom dense wedge pad. I carried a new vest for our trip last year out west which was mandated by my hunting partner due to the smell/stench of my 30+ year old vest, but I've already reloaded my old vest for this season. It's been washed numerous times w/ no apparent result other than to remove a little blood. I think a vest may make you a more efficient turkey hunter , ie. less noise, access to gear, familiarity etc., but do vests kill turkeys. I think not!! A lot of money for a sewn convenience.
ol bob

Re: Personal observations on Mr. Fox vest

Post by ol bob »

Never seen a vest kill a turkey, never will.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Good points. I've never killed a gobbler with a vest, but I look a lot cooler with a good vest on. :) I have had one that weighed enough that it could have pinned a gobbler to the ground if I tossed it over him. I see guys here in the West wearing their packs to hunt turkeys. I can't stand the sight. They don't even know how they are embarrassing themselves. :) I don't even want to think about the satchel users. :)
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

:cheers: Carried me a Glenda Green minimalist last season. Don’t think I’ll go back to a vest, but to each his own… the minimal amount I spent on the satchel sure clears the budget up for custom calls etc and I don’t look like every other yahoo out there…. If you could even see me, lol
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
KS

Post by KS »

what pad have yall been using. I need a new one
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Years ago, I became acquainted w/ the owners of Sportsman's Comfort Products, Murfreesboro, Tn., who are Orthopedic PT's. They make a closed foam cushion (Seatmate) which is the best I've ever encountered. They made me a "custom wedge" which I had fitted w/ a zipper to work w/ my Mossy Oak Longbeard vest which I still have. I've used the standard square cushion f(Seatmate) on an Uncle Mike's wide web belt w/ a flip open buckle for deer hunting and turkey hunting when I'm hunting w/ a shoulder bag without my vest and have purchased the cushions as presents for most of my hunting friends. I've gotten over 20+ years of hard hunting out of my cushions and they are still in great shape. When I'm deer hunting out of a ladder stand and utilizing my Seatmate, I put the belt around the tree to hold the cushion in place.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

decoykrvr wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:17 am Years ago, I became acquainted w/ the owners of Sportsman's Comfort Products, Murfreesboro, Tn., who are Orthopedic PT's. They make a closed foam cushion (Seatmate) which is the best I've ever encountered. They made me a "custom wedge" which I had fitted w/ a zipper to work w/ my Mossy Oak Longbeard vest which I still have. I've used the standard square cushion f(Seatmate) on an Uncle Mike's wide web belt w/ a flip open buckle for deer hunting and turkey hunting when I'm hunting w/ a shoulder bag without my vest and have purchased the cushions as presents for most of my hunting friends. I've gotten over 20+ years of hard hunting out of my cushions and they are still in great shape. When I'm deer hunting out of a ladder stand and utilizing my Seatmate, I put the belt around the tree to hold the cushion in place.
I'm assuming the "wedge" is useful to keep you in one spot and not sliding downhill?? I don't think I've seen anyone making a wedge on a vest.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Shane, You got it, but it's also nice to put your rear end lower and your knees up when setting up on birds on level ground. I can stay on the ground without moving or in a deer stand when my rear is comfortable and not numb.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

decoykrvr wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:01 pm Shane, You got it, but it's also nice to put your rear end lower and your knees up when setting up on birds on level ground. I can stay on the ground without moving or in a deer stand when my rear is comfortable and not numb.
There's been a number of times that could have been helpful. It gets uncomfortable fast trying to not slide downhill with a gobbler coming in.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I can’t see Mossy Oak discontinuing this vest after the reception it has had.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:06 pm There's been a number of times that could have been helpful. It gets uncomfortable fast trying to not slide downhill with a gobbler coming in.
Take a downed tree branch you find laying on the ground, maybe 4 inches in diameter, and lay it in front of the setup tree. Your padded seat goes between that branch and tree, and now you got yourself an easy, instant wedge to keep from sliding.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I think paying $400 and up for a turkey vest is crazy, but from a marketing/profitability stand point Mossy Oak needs to capitalize on the demand. It will be interesting to see the impact on the value of the "numbered" vest with the release and production of "non-numbered" units. My youngest daughter went wild over Beanie Babies which I was buying at his cost from a turkey hunting fiend whose wife had a gift shop. She/We should have sold them and made some money, but I was asked by my friend not to do so, and I honored his wishes. A lot of folks took a real financial loss on those bits of cloth and foam pellets. If I had a numbered vest, I would "take the cash and leave the credit."

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”