Cervical Laminectomy

A place for you health nuts and slackers to share your tips on staying in shape for seasons to come.
decoykrvr

Cervical Laminectomy

Post by decoykrvr »

Well, four weeks ago today I had major cervical surgery. I under went Cervical Laminectomy for spinal stenosis which was causing severe arm/hand pain and leg numbness. I now have ten screws and two attached rods from C2-T1 in my neck. The good news is that I am totally pain free. I got off the opiods four days after surgery and the tylenol and muscle relaxers three weeks out. My surgeon is a friend of twenty-four years and goose hunting companion. I'm walking several time daily, but my Dr. has told me to really take it easy on any major rehab due to to the screws in my spine and the potential for them to back out, causing a lot of potential problems. When I asked my Dr about shooting a 20 gauge this Spring, he said he wasn't as concerned w/ the gun as he was the terrain and getting to and from hunting areas and chasing birds and the pressure it might put on my neck and the screws/rods. Come Alabama's now delayed opener, I'll be almost three months post surgery. Any information, personal experience or well intentioned advice is appreciated. This will be 42 years chasing turkeys, and at 72 this season, my years and the opportunity/ability to hunt gobblers are ticking away. With that said, I still go to sleep most nights remembering/recounting hunts from years past and the myriad thrills and disappointments which they have afforded.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Cervical Laminectomy

Post by pedro »

i had laminectomy on L4 to remove a disk a few years ago. not the same as you but back surgery nonetheless. it worked for me and cured the issue. my surgery was done two weeks into my turkey season. my doctor told me to walk slowly and take frequent breaks. it slowed my approach to hunting. it was the best thing that happened to my turkey hunting. forcing me to a slower pace has made me a better hunter. i just needed to plan my hunts around me being slower.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Damn, Craig. That sounds painful. My mother-in-law has had a few surgeries now to stabilize her spine with rods and screws. Each time they would do surgery, the next higher section would begin to collapse or crush so they would go back in and add rods. I think three times now. She's in her late 60s and has aged 20 years in the last 5 (of course I don't tell her that). She's hunched over and uses a walker. She has screws either backing out now or broken or something and is in terrible pain. I don't think she did anything more than sitin a chair, so didn't overdo it. She just had x-rays locally and they've told her they can't do anything. Louisville has said they can but she cannot stand the drive there. It's sad but she's hooked on the meds now.

I hope you're able to hunt but don't get carried away and end up in the condition she's in.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Glad to hear you’re improving!!! Be sure to listen to your buddy

Hope3 months is plenty of time for them screws to have bone fused to them.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I pray that everything works better than expected and that your hunting days are improved by this and not diminished.
I've had 2 total knee replacements and know from them that the Dr. knows best! Give it time and err on the side of caution.
Godspeed, my Friend.
Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I too have had 2 total knee replacements in the last 3 years, and my total success with my knees provided the motivation for my neck surgery. The fact is, the surgery was dictated by my surgeon/friend who said that coupled with the ever present pain, a hard fall on my back or neck could result in paralysis. I was banned from tree stands and directed not to hunt alone this past fall.
I was able to waterfowl hunt out west for a week this fall and successfully hunted cranes the week before my surgery, so I opted to fore go the later waterfowl season and get ready to chase gobblers this spring. I'm taking it easy and appreciate your sentiments. Shane, how is the C-Pap working out? To all, have a large time in Nashville, be careful and watch the strollers!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

decoykrvr wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:50 pm I too have had 2 total knee replacements in the last 3 years, and my total success with my knees provided the motivation for my neck surgery. The fact is, the surgery was dictated by my surgeon/friend who said that coupled with the ever present pain, a hard fall on my back or neck could result in paralysis. I was banned from tree stands and directed not to hunt alone this past fall.
I was able to waterfowl hunt out west for a week this fall and successfully hunted cranes the week before my surgery, so I opted to fore go the later waterfowl season and get ready to chase gobblers this spring. I'm taking it easy and appreciate your sentiments. Shane, how is the C-Pap working out? To all, have a large time in Nashville, be careful and watch the strollers!
I'm still struggling with it. I've had sinus problems the last month which has created terrible sinus headaches. I was up half or more of last night with a bad one. I cannot wear it when I have a headache. I'm concerned that it could be contributing to it but they aren't really new. I have them for a couple weeks two or three times a year. These just seem a little worse.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Shane. Are you cleaning your machine? I put my hose, mask and water reservoir in the sink with dawn dish soap and hot water once a week. I run the nose piece under hot water every morning.
Just trying to help. I know they bother a lot of users with infections and the like.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Hognutz wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:19 pm Shane. Are you cleaning your machine? I put my hose, mask and water reservoir in the sink with dawn dish soap and hot water once a week. I run the nose piece under hot water every morning.
Just trying to help. I know they bother a lot of users with infections and the like.
I don't clean it every day but do clean it. I probably should go to every day.

Return to “Health & Fitness”