Kansas turkey hunting trip

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Sobry84

Kansas turkey hunting trip

Post by Sobry84 »

I'm from Arkansas and a few buddies and I are wanting to hunt a different state this upcoming spring. We are looking at north central kansas and possibly south central nebraska. Was curious as to what turkey numbers were like in that area and what to expect? Never been out of state hunting so any info on the area would help
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Kansas turkey hunting trip

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Ive not been in a long while but I think a search will likely show that numbers have declined steadily over the last 5 to 10 years in Kansas. I've heard similar reports on Nebraska.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

I hunted Kansas prolly 7 years ago and there was a lot birds. Can’t say how it is now
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Turkey numbers in large areas of both Kansas and Nebraska are the lowest I've ever experienced and raccoon and other nest predators populations are at an all time high. I started hunting both states in 1981, and talking w/ local friends and state officers this past year, we all commented on the number of coons we encountered during the day light. It's one thing to see coons at night, but we were seeing a lot of them all day. While teal/dove hunting for 6 days this September, I didn't see a single turkey and no broods. Nebraska has changed regulations and gobbler limits for the 2023 season and Kansas meets this month to finalize regs for 2023.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I've seen pox in that area the last 2 years population is really showing a significant decrease in that area. Maine the turkey population is increasing and a beautiful state to visit.
Sobry84

Post by Sobry84 »

We have talked about maine in the future because of yhe numbers but we are looking for something relatively close to home while still having a change of scenery. We've also thought about western Oklahoma. We are trying to hunt Rios or at least hybrids just for something different. Any other state suggestions going west would be appreciated as well. We hunt the Ouachita mountains in arkansas and it seems to be getting worse and worse every year. It's gone from us hearing 20 birds on a decent day to you're lucky to hear one at first light. It's hard to believe it could be that bad up there now just from everything I've heard about the turkey numbers in the past but I've also never been there either like yall.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Sobry84 wrote: November 9th, 2022, 12:07 am We have talked about maine in the future because of yhe numbers but we are looking for something relatively close to home while still having a change of scenery. We've also thought about western Oklahoma. We are trying to hunt Rios or at least hybrids just for something different. Any other state suggestions going west would be appreciated as well. We hunt the Ouachita mountains in arkansas and it seems to be getting worse and worse every year. It's gone from us hearing 20 birds on a decent day to you're lucky to hear one at first light. It's hard to believe it could be that bad up there now just from everything I've heard about the turkey numbers in the past but I've also never been there either like yall.
It really shouldn't be hard to believe if you've witnessed the same in Arkansas. Bird numbers are down in a lot of places. You can still have a good hunt but forget about strutters standing around waiting to be yelped at in every field or woodlot.
Sobry84

Post by Sobry84 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: November 9th, 2022, 12:58 am
Sobry84 wrote: November 9th, 2022, 12:07 am We have talked about maine in the future because of yhe numbers but we are looking for something relatively close to home while still having a change of scenery. We've also thought about western Oklahoma. We are trying to hunt Rios or at least hybrids just for something different. Any other state suggestions going west would be appreciated as well. We hunt the Ouachita mountains in arkansas and it seems to be getting worse and worse every year. It's gone from us hearing 20 birds on a decent day to you're lucky to hear one at first light. It's hard to believe it could be that bad up there now just from everything I've heard about the turkey numbers in the past but I've also never been there either like yall.
It really shouldn't be hard to believe if you've witnessed the same in Arkansas. Bird numbers are down in a lot of places. You can still have a good hunt but forget about strutters standing around waiting to be yelped at in every field or woodlot.
Not necessarily hard to believe that numbers in kansas are way down but more along the lines of how bad it is compared to arkansas in the recent years. In arkansas there were only 7000 birds tagged in 2021. I'm having a hard time finding any kansas harvest numbers within that least 10 years. Which is pretty irrelevant now considering the decline in population from what yall have said.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Sobry84 wrote: November 9th, 2022, 2:26 pm
Hobbes_mobile wrote: November 9th, 2022, 12:58 am
Not necessarily hard to believe that numbers in kansas are way down but more along the lines of how bad it is compared to arkansas in the recent years. In arkansas there were only 7000 birds tagged in 2021. I'm having a hard time finding any kansas harvest numbers within that least 10 years. Which is pretty irrelevant now considering the decline in population from what yall have said.
I'm only repeating what I've heard, so guys that have seen it firsthand are the folks to really listen to. I was there in 2015 and would still go back today even knowing it'll be tougher than then. It's cool country to hunt and I like new places, so still a worthwhile trip in that respect. Good luck whatever you decide.
Sobry84

Post by Sobry84 »

Does anyone know where I could find information on kansas turkey harvest numbers I am not able to find it anywhere in recent years
Tom Threetoes

Post by Tom Threetoes »

My wife and I went in 2016 on a 3 day draw hunt. One of several hunts on that WMA that year. We both got our bird in two days of hunting. The place was loaded with turkeys. Last year there was only one successful hunt. My buddy has killed several public land birds there in years past and he's had to resort to private land pay hunts. The bird numbers have tanked in the area we hunted.
Okiehunter

Post by Okiehunter »

I hunted KS in 2021 and killed a bird opening day. Get a map of the walk in hunting areas and hunt them. There is tons of little walk in areas that I feel get over looked. I scouted birds the day before and seen birds on 80% of the walk in land I checked. Be sure you have good tires and 4wheel drive if it’s wet. KS back roads can be a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

FYI! While hunting in Kansas or the surrounding states after heavy rains and before a thorough drying out period, do not attempt to traverse roads marked as Minimum or Secondary Maintenance. Most of those roads have no gravel and the mud can be bottomless which will even bog down 4-wheel drive vehicles. Several years ago, the roads were so bad that we even tried putting chains on a 4-wheel drive truck. We got the truck stuck, the first tractor got stuck and we had to get a second tractor to extract us both. Most commercial wreckers won't even respond or attempt a tow under such circumstances. In some of the areas we hunt, in excess of 50% of the roads are minimally maintained which can put a real crimp on the best hunting plans.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Agreed. If it's been raining (or going to rain), park your vehicle where the gravel ends and walk. That mud is bad stuff.
Sobry84

Post by Sobry84 »

Thanks everyone for all the advice
Sobry84

Post by Sobry84 »

We've also looked at western oklahoma as well. If anyone would like to offer a few tips or information on the area it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”