Whats your favorite box call???

All about turkey calling + News, techniques, routines, advice, etc..
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Whats your favorite box call???

Post by GLS »

In re-reading the OP, he limited the inquiry to calls still available and not necessarily collectable. I had an Albert Paul short box, a limited edition, the Henry Davis box which was smaller than typical and made from holly with a walnut striker. That was a good little call which I lost penetrating a ti ti bay attempting to get into a bottom that had a loud mouth gobbler. Another call that I have bought in recent times is a Billy White Hustlin' Hen. I haven't used a box in the last couple of seasons. I prefer to use my homemade cane yelpers and box turtle slate with mouth calls to seal the deal. I bought over a dozen calls from Neil cost for personal use and for gifts to friends from 1978 to 1994. He gave me one as a gift to my stepson in the early 90s. He made more calls than was initially thought. Here are the six I kept for myself. I sold all but the one I bought in 1978 and a butternut call I bought in 1994. The boat paddle was the rarest one I had by Neil. Gil
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

impressive Gil
Yellowgater

Post by Yellowgater »

Dawkins single sider. She naysty!!
“Kill them sir, kill them all” T.J. Jackson
Doubleclutch

Post by Doubleclutch »

If you can find a “Hustlin Hen” by Billy White, don’t pass on it. If they have 2 I’ll take the other.
Potts92

Post by Potts92 »

Doubleclutch wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 9:23 pm If you can find a “Hustlin Hen” by Billy White, don’t pass on it. If they have 2 I’ll take the other.
Couple of these on eBay right now!
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

I'm a long box man ... Anything ive ever run of Marlin Watkins ! And that would be close to 100 of his Fidddle paddles . Would not leave out any of his fiddle boxes either . Even his Cost style boxes are special although you dont see many anymore .
David Halloran and Jeff McCammey build some great boxes and I have run bunches of both ! But I can assure you I will kill one or more this year with my Lamar Williams Black Walnut paddle call , 8 years wait to get that one but it gets used this year !
10th Legion legionare !

Post by 935 »

The one the tom is answering right at that moment. That will be either the Eddie Wynne I bought from him, when I first started this madness or the maple and walnut call I made myself.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

A mac ebony over teak hen box built by Richard Hudson.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I've got a poplar/walnut that I built from a kit that is sweet. I've also got a cedar that I built, not as good sounding as the poplar/walnut though.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"

Return to “Calling & Competition Calling”