What's a good gun? Budget friendly.

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
larute

What's a good gun? Budget friendly.

Post by larute »

I'm taking my boys (17 and 20) turkey hunting this spring. I've never been and need to gear up. I want to buy three 20 gauge guns and I'm looking for suggestions on what to get. Being that I need three of 'em I'm looking for something budget friendly, but I still want a good gun. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Tail Feathers

Re: What's a good gun? Budget friendly.

Post by Tail Feathers »

You could go with single shots. The Stevens are pretty good I hear. Or Mossberg 500 or Remington 870’s are good pump guns at reasonable prices. Gun prices, like most things, have risen in recent years.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Stay away from semi autos, not needed and cheap ones are a crap shoot! Single shots will be most budget friendly but limited to just a turkey gun. Mossberg 500, Remington 870 or a Winchester sxp. If you care to use them for some wing shooting a 26" barrel is a good all around gun from Dove to Turkey!
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Mossberg 500 would be the way I'd go.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Considering the circumstances of buying 3 guns at one time. Myself would purchase Stevens 301 20 gauges and with the left over money from not buying $500 guns, I would invest in optics and a good tss load. They shoot great.
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I really like the Winchester sxp. The "turkey" models are set up pretty good from the get-go.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
Durs Egg

Post by Durs Egg »

Stoeger M3000 series

Owned by Beretta, good quality, reasonable price
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Stevens 301
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Search gunbroker for "Baikal" or Remington SPR or Remington Spartan. They are the same gun. There are single shots in 20 and .410 and tough as a boot. Made in Russia and no longer imported due to embargo of Russian firearms. Gil
Shellstuffer

Post by Shellstuffer »

I think these guys have given you some excellent choices.
The Stevens 301 or the SXP Winchester, depending on what you prefer. The SXP would give you a little more flexibility, and there’s several different models you can select from. You can get the Turkey model that comes with sights and I think a 20” or 21” barrel, or basically the same gun with 24” or 26” barrels with a vent rib. I got one in the 24” barrel about a week ago but haven’t got to shoot it yet due to weather. They seem to be pretty decent quality for the money, and you can go to the Winchester website and look at all the different models they offer.
“Just a old fart, that likes the outdoors “ (and beer)
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Sxp is a good one and available.
If it were me and I was budgeting I’d get one sxp or 870 and then (2) 301’s
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Maverick. Youth 20 Gauge Pump, made by Mossberg do all you want for around $200.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
larute

Post by larute »

Thank you all for your suggestions. These are all perfect options!
firedup

Post by firedup »

You have been provided some excellent options. I will mention the Mossberg 500 again in the Bantam configuration. Comes with stock spacers to increase LOP as they grow. I bought one years ago, set it up with red dot and it was my go to for so many different youngsters I lost count. Also great for my older Dad and uncles. With a Pure Gold .570 and Hevishot #7 it was one of the best shooting 20 gauge for turkey I have ever owned. Never shot it with TSS but figure it was even better. Sold it to a buddy for his son and miss it.
larute

Post by larute »

firedup wrote: February 6th, 2023, 6:32 pm You have been provided some excellent options. I will mention the Mossberg 500 again in the Bantam configuration. Comes with stock spacers to increase LOP as they grow. I bought one years ago, set it up with red dot and it was my go to for so many different youngsters I lost count. Also great for my older Dad and uncles. With a Pure Gold .570 and Hevishot #7 it was one of the best shooting 20 gauge for turkey I have ever owned. Never shot it with TSS but figure it was even better. Sold it to a buddy for his son and miss it.
I'm getting one of those for sure. I think I'm going to get three different guns from the suggestions. That way I can mess around too and compare.

Thank you!
Shellstuffer

Post by Shellstuffer »

That’s a good idea! All guns ain’t created equal. I don’t care what you spend on a gun, but until you pattern it you don’t know how it will shoot. I only shoot lead, but I have a nice Browning Citori White Lightning .410 that I shoot a 3” load that’s 1/2oz with a TPS wad. It’s one of BPI’s loads, and it’s a absolute hammer with this gun. My 686 Beretta .410 doesn’t do nearly as well with several different chokes. As a matter of fact, my Benelli Montefeltro Silver Ultra Light 20 gauge will struggle to do as good with a kill zone pattern with a lot more lead.
Attachments
AD738C92-D47F-4C56-99DA-1E11B350C551.jpeg
Shellstuffer

Post by Shellstuffer »

If you can’t make it out, the load is a 3” Fiocchi hull and primer, TPS wad, 18 grains H110 powder with 1/2 oz of lead. I could only get 212 grains of nickel plated 6 1/2 shot.

Return to “Gun Talk”