Russell Snake Boots —— just an honest review

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I posted this on another site that I frequent in my home state, so if you read it there you’ll see the same thing here. Personally, if you are thinking about ordering from them, you may want to wait it out right now, order a pair they have already made up, and even reconsider a design without zippers if you were thinking of getting one with a zipper.

Well, last year in November my wife and kids ordered me a pair of Harts Turkey Hunters from Russel Moccasin. Supposed to be top of the line boots. Well here’s my review:

I received the boots in April. This is not an uncommon wait time for custom boots, and being a small shop in Wisconsin, they had several employees out with Covid. The fella that installs and works on the zippers is 75 years old from what I am told, the only one who installs the zippers, and he was out sick.

Fit and finish on the boots was good. The way the boot leather collapses above the heel on the back of the leg rubs a spot on my leg, above my heel. Boots are not broke in yet.

They lace up good, and with the zipper unzipped, they are still difficult to slip off without a shoe horn.

First week in, the zipper failed and would not stay tracked together. Called Russel Moccasins and they said send them back and they will repair them. This was in May.

I called them today. Asked them if they received my boots and they said yes. Status for repair was that they are sitting on the shelf waiting the return of the old fella who is a seasonal worker, got injured doing a home project, and should be back this fall. He’s recovering in a nursing home.

Now, I don’t fault that fella one bit. I hope he gets to feeling better and recovers. As for the business, they really offered no resolution to the problem other than they hope he recovers and maybe my boots can be repaired in the fall.

Overall review. Fine pair of boots if the zipper wouldn’t have failed and if they hold up as expected. They seem to be a well made, and even dry boot for leather.

Would I buy them again?
No

Just seems like the pandemic has been too much for them to handle appropriate responses and timing to supply their products to the customer, and while they do answer the phone and emails, they just don’t have well thought out solutions to common issues for their customers.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Russell Snake Boots —— just an honest review

Post by Hoobilly »

That would be a heart breaker. I know Covid has caused major problems and I don’t think we’ve seen the end of it yet
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

I'll go one step farther, so at 75 yo he's obviously an extremely skilled "shoe Cobbler". Why hasn't the owner started an apprenticeship for his companies well being ? Why chance the outcome of poor craftsmanship ? I'm not bashing the company at all, but hard earned money should deserve quality products. Mr. Stocks, your situation sucks, especially considering they're "snake boots" :shock: !!!
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

I have a pair of harts from pre COVID. They fit perfectly. No issues and I love them.
I ordered a pair of “caviler crossovers” last year no lace boots. I sent them back 4 times and got the girl from Russell to re measure when they were in town and re make. Still too big after almost a year of sending back and remaking. Guess their experienced makers are gone?
It’s too bad because the harts turkey hunters I have are excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

wchadw wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:01 pm I have a pair of harts from pre COVID. They fit perfectly. No issues and I love them.
I ordered a pair of “caviler crossovers” last year no lace boots. I sent them back 4 times and got the girl from Russell to re measure when they were in town and re make. Still too big after almost a year of sending back and remaking. Guess their experienced makers are gone?

I’ll add that it was testimony like yours that helped decide this was something I wanted. At this time though, I’m hoping to help save some others the trouble you and I have recently experienced.
ShortMagFan

Post by ShortMagFan »

I had a pair for 25 years. Custom order. Delivered with wrong sole. I rolled with it. Not even close to waterproof. I rolled with it because they were extremely comfortable. After over 20 years and a few years of neglect from me, I sent them in to be reconditioned and resoled. Main guy didn’t want to do it, but I finally convinced him, paid them, and got the boots back (with the wrong conditioner that I had ordered and paid for, but that is a different story). Hunted them a couple more years finally with the soles I ordered 25 years ago. No more waterproof than before, but I was used to that and they were still comfortable

Early days of pandemic, I order 2 pairs off their in stock website. One pair of zephyrs and one pair of new turkey hunters. Both the same size and also the same size as printed on my old pair. Boots came in and even though all 3 pairs were labeled 10.5D, they were not even close to being the same size. Sent them back to Russell for a refund, paid a restocking fee on one pair as I had worn them, and swore I’d never make that mistake again

Unfortunately I think time has passed them buy. Calling them to ask a question or discuss an issue is an exercise in frustration. There is no consistency in sizing not much of a desire to get things right.
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Jstocks wrote:
wchadw wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:01 pm I have a pair of harts from pre COVID. They fit perfectly. No issues and I love them.

I’ll add that it was testimony like yours that helped decide this was something I wanted. At this time though, I’m hoping to help save some others the trouble you and I have recently experienced.
Well I have 2 pairs up lace up boots that fit great. The one pair that is slip on is still about a half size too big after 4 returns. I think it’s luck of the draw on who makes them

wchadw

Post by wchadw »

ShortMagFan wrote:I had a pair for 25 years. Custom order. Delivered with wrong sole. I rolled with it. Not even close to waterproof. I rolled with it because they were extremely comfortable. After over 20 years and a few years of neglect from me, I sent them in to be reconditioned and resoled. Main guy didn’t want to do it, but I finally convinced him, paid them, and got the boots back (with the wrong conditioner that I had ordered and paid for, but that is a different story). Hunted them a couple more years finally with the soles I ordered 25 years ago. No more waterproof than before, but I was used to that and they were still comfortable

Early days of pandemic, I order 2 pairs off their in stock website. One pair of zephyrs and one pair of new turkey hunters. Both the same size and also the same size as printed on my old pair. Boots came in and even though all 3 pairs were labeled 10.5D, they were not even close to being the same size. Sent them back to Russell for a refund, paid a restocking fee on one pair as I had worn them, and swore I’d never make that mistake again

Unfortunately I think time has passed them buy. Calling them to ask a question or discuss an issue is an exercise in frustration. There is no consistency in sizing not much of a desire to get things right.
I agree. When I ordered the last pair I got they told me they had my measurements from my turkey hunters. The older boots I have fit like a glove.
I got the new pair and they were labeled 10 1/2 B. Turkey hunters are 10 1/2 C. The new boots were way too small. I sent them back and asked if I needed to remeasure and they told me no. I told them the size was labeled different. Came back again too big.
Got Suzy (one of the owners) to measure me and remake and this pair is still about a 1/4 inch too long. Enough for my heel to slip if I’m not wearing super thick socks(I live in central Mississippi so this is 2/3 times a year). The boots are comfortable but if you pay $600+ for custom fit boots you want them to fit like a glove.

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I was disappointed in the fit after having been measured by one of owner's family members. The calve measurement is too tight to properly lace up. I didn't complain just chalked it up as money thrown away. The Uplanders I had made at the same time fit fine. In wet conditions I now wear either jungle boots with turtleskin gaiters or LeChameaus with same gaiters. Dry conditions, it's the Uplanders with the gaiters.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

I have a two pair of russells that I wear a good bit.. moccassins and chukkas. they are extremely comfortable. I have had the moccassins resoled once. Never really been interested in their hunting boots though.
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

GLS wrote:I was disappointed in the fit after having been measured by one of owner's family members. The calve measurement is too tight to properly lace up. I didn't complain just chalked it up as money thrown away. The Uplanders I had made at the same time fit fine. In wet conditions I now wear either jungle boots with turtleskin gaiters or LeChameaus with same gaiters. Dry conditions, it's the Uplanders with the gaiters.
It’s strange. The first pair they made for me are the best fitting pair of boots I’ve ever had. They are super comfortable and I hope they last….
This last pair they said they had original measurements of the first pair and they weren’t anywhere close.
Had them re measure and re make and still don’t fit right. They are comfortable and well made, they are just too big.
Just disappointing

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I’m actually thinking about calling them and asking for a refund, but the guy is such a pain to communicate with, I just don’t want to get spun up with him in the phone. There’s no way I should have to wait til fall for them to work on a pair of boots I sent back to them in May.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Update:
They are sending me a refund on my boots.

This was actually my least preferred method of dealing with the issue. I offered to accept a pair with no zipper or a different boot altogether.
Joey211

Post by Joey211 »

I have a lot of experience with Russell boots. I bout my wife a pair and I have purchased three for myself. I was s o excited and thought I would never need another pair
What a disappointment….trust me when I say stay clear of them. Again I have three pair and none fit well…first I was told it would be 4-6 months
It was almost two years !! Literally….and they do not care
But the worst part is they are not comfortable and all three fit differently. One pair is way too big while the other hurt my heel
I actually don’t even wear them anymore
I hate writing such a bad review but there is absolutely nothing good to say
They just sit on m y shelve reminding me of the money I threw away

Don’t make the same mistake I did

Joey

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”