Waterproof boots?

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
cluckcluckbang

Waterproof boots?

Post by cluckcluckbang »

I’m looking for a boot that will actually keep my feet dry. This season I wore Irish Setter Vaprtreks, they were soaked thru just from high, wet grass. And crossing creeks, forget about it. Looking for something lightweight, comfortable and WATERPROOF. What do you guys like?
gaswamp

Re: Waterproof boots?

Post by gaswamp »

anything Crispi
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Last 5 seasons I've worn LeChameau Chasseurs. Expensive and heavy, leather lined and made of rubber with a great sole and gusseted zipper. First Wellies I could get past my ankle due to high insteps. These were the first truly waterproof boots I've used. I've had several pairs of Rockies and another brand (LaCrosse) that failed the test and as you note, feet got wet walking through dewed grass despite having the miracle liner that "breathes". About two weeks into the season, I went back to jungle boots as Wellies are about an inch shorter than the deepest wade I'd have. With jungle boots, the wearer expects to have wet feet, but because they are designed with drain holes, water leaves quickly and drying begins promptly. By the time I got home, my feet and wool socks were almost dry, but damp. Certainly better than having a rubber boot full of water.
Currently available from Rothco on Ebay or Amazon, they are a bargain for $38 delivered but aren't of the same quality as were the original GI issued ones in the Vietnam era. I bought two pair to alternate through the season and wore Turtleskin gaiters over them for snake protection. I hunt S. Georgia where temps aren't as cold as farther north. For the money spent, if I only get a couple of more seasons, they were money well spent. Dry feet are overrated. ;) Gil
cluckcluckbang

Post by cluckcluckbang »

gaswamp wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 8:34 pm anything Crispi
That’s what I’m leaning towards. Just wanted some verification before I spent that money
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Just make sure they say "GORETEX" and they will be waterproof.

God Bless, Louis
coconut

Post by coconut »

I bought a pair of danner snake proof boots and have stood in water for up to 30 minutes without a leak at all. Don’t know if I just got lucky but they have been really good. Did have a prickly pear pierce the bottom though. Still no leaks.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

This year I started wearing Firstlite Leg Gaiters. I found that when walking through all grass and leaves in the morning, the water was actually soaking through my pants, onto the top of my socks and into the TOP of my boots. The gaiters, combined with My Danner Boots kept my feet pretty-much dry all day.

Just food for thought.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

MFL205 wrote: May 24th, 2021, 8:03 am This year I started wearing Firstlite Leg Gaiters. I found that when walking through all grass and leaves in the morning, the water was actually soaking through my pants, onto the top of my socks and into the TOP of my boots. The gaiters, combined with My Danner Boots kept my feet pretty-much dry all day.

Just food for thought.
good Idea
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

GLS wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 8:46 pm About two weeks into the season, I went back to jungle boots as Wellies are about an inch shorter than the deepest wade I'd have. With jungle boots, the wearer expects to have wet feet, but because they are designed with drain holes, water leaves quickly and drying begins promptly. By the time I got home, my feet and wool socks were almost dry, but damp. Certainly better than having a rubber boot full of water.
Currently available from Rothco on Ebay or Amazon, they are a bargain for $38 delivered but aren't of the same quality as were the original GI issued ones in the Vietnam era. I bought two pair to alternate through the season and wore Turtleskin gaiters over them for snake protection. I hunt S. Georgia where temps aren't as cold as farther north. For the money spent, if I only get a couple of more seasons, they were money well spent. Dry feet are overrated. ;) Gil
Gil, how are the soles on these for walking a lot of miles? I’m an Army guy and know that many combat style boots have really hard, non pliable soles that can be hard on your feet. I know you or Ronnie recommended these boots earlier in the season when I asked about walking in Florida and Mississippi swamps. My hesitation in buying was based on the soles rather than the price, because price is super cheap. Pretty much cheap enough that if I hate the feel of the boot I’m still not out much.

I ended up wearing a breathable non waterproof boot all season with soft soles. Worked great for comfort and getting all the places I wanted to be, but I had similar frustrations with wet feet due to morning dew. A lot of the places I went, a GoreTex boot probably would have been better because I didn’t actually end up in any swamps this season. I think having the Jungle boots would be a great option for the wetter places, while a mid calf goretex boot would be good for a lot of others.
Lacire

Post by Lacire »

For me It depends where and what I’m walking through. I’ve hunted in a pair of rubber or neoprene boots for years with two pairs of socks for extra cushion, currently still using a pair of Navajos calf high boggers. I’ve also had very good luck with the two pairs of Scarpa boots I own being waterproof. I’d second the use of some type of gators for taller wet grass and snow, I have a pair of Sitka that work pretty well but are a brier magnet in the fall. Also suggest a pair of paints where the fabric doesn’t wet out and soak through your knees.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The jungle boot soles are Panama tread and hard as a rock. Steel shanks in the soles in keeping with the original design that were punji stake proof. Inserts and thick socks are helpful in cushioning. For my purposes they did great decades ago and last season. I put miles on the mountain bike rather than my feet when and where I could. The boot sizes are understated by 1 to 2 sizes. I had an eyelet pull out of one pair, but based on reviews, I knew it was coming. Another plus is that for 8" tops, they are featherlight compared with other boots I've worn. That makes a big difference in walking miles. I've not had much luck with Goretex. Works for awhile, but invariably would fail in my gear whether jackets, pants or boots. The recommended treatment was to spray with a silicone based spray but that defeated the purpose of "breathable" material. Goretex is best used for surgical uses rather than as waterproofing. IMO. Gil
cluckcluckbang

Post by cluckcluckbang »

Lacire wrote: May 24th, 2021, 9:03 am For me It depends where and what I’m walking through. I’ve hunted in a pair of rubber or neoprene boots for years with two pairs of socks for extra cushion, currently still using a pair of Navajos calf high boggers. I’ve also had very good luck with the two pairs of Scarpa boots I own being waterproof. I’d second the use of some type of gators for taller wet grass and snow, I have a pair of Sitka that work pretty well but are a brier magnet in the fall. Also suggest a pair of paints where the fabric doesn’t wet out and soak through your knees.
I’ve tried rubber/ neoprene knee high boots and can’t find any that offer enough ankle support for me while turkey hunting. A lot of down and ups in southern Ohio where I hunt
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Turkinator wrote: May 24th, 2021, 8:13 am
MFL205 wrote: May 24th, 2021, 8:03 am This year I started wearing Firstlite Leg Gaiters. I found that when walking through all grass and leaves in the morning, the water was actually soaking through my pants, onto the top of my socks and into the TOP of my boots. The gaiters, combined with My Danner Boots kept my feet pretty-much dry all day.

Just food for thought.
good Idea
Started using Sitka gaiters couple of years ago, they go a long way to keeping your feet and pant legs dry whether tall, wet grass or snow in the fall seasons. Pant legs get wet, that water wicks right down your socks. Plus one more layer to treat with permethrin and keep the ticks out.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

paboxcall wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:06 pm

Just food for thought.
good Idea
Started using Sitka gaiters couple of years ago, they go a long way to keeping your feet and pant legs dry whether tall, wet grass or snow in the fall seasons. Pant legs get wet, that water wicks right down your socks. Plus one more layer to treat with permethrin and keep the ticks out.
Are the Sitka gaiters fairly easy to use? I’ve tried some gaiters, from WW2 issue, to kenetreks; a pain to put on.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Once I got the Sitka gaiters adjusted to fit me, I found they go on quick. Literally an extra 15-20 seconds.

Lacire

Post by Lacire »

cluckcluckbang wrote: May 24th, 2021, 4:01 pm
Lacire wrote: May 24th, 2021, 9:03 am For me It depends where and what I’m walking through. I’ve hunted in a pair of rubber or neoprene boots for years with two pairs of socks for extra cushion, currently still using a pair of Navajos calf high boggers. I’ve also had very good luck with the two pairs of Scarpa boots I own being waterproof. I’d second the use of some type of gators for taller wet grass and snow, I have a pair of Sitka that work pretty well but are a brier magnet in the fall. Also suggest a pair of paints where the fabric doesn’t wet out and soak through your knees.
I’ve tried rubber/ neoprene knee high boots and can’t find any that offer enough ankle support for me while turkey hunting. A lot of down and ups in southern Ohio where I hunt
You’re correct neither the LaCross or Navajos that I’ve used have much ankle support.
Lacire

Post by Lacire »

Turkinator wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:49 pm

good Idea
Are the Sitka gaiters fairly easy to use? I’ve tried some gaiters, from WW2 issue, to kenetreks; a pain to put on.
Once you have them adjusted to your boot as paboxcall said they only take a additional minute to put on. Mine are the older Sitka thunderhead GTX gators with the zippers, I like them better than the newer Sitka’s with the Velcro.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Lacire wrote: May 25th, 2021, 11:13 am
Turkinator wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Once you have them adjusted to your boot as paboxcall said they only take a additional minute to put on. Mine are the older Sitka thunderhead GTX gators with the zippers, I like them better than the newer Sitka’s with the Velcro.
Same here, Thunderhead GTX with zippers. Got them off ebay new couple years back. One of the best gear purchases I've made.

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Thank y’all for the tip! I found a pair of the zippered Sitka on eBay
Lacire

Post by Lacire »

Turkinator wrote: May 25th, 2021, 6:00 pm Thank y’all for the tip! I found a pair of the zippered Sitka on eBay
Hope you like them, if not Sitka is easy to resale.
lowoctane

Post by lowoctane »

cluckcluckbang wrote:I’m looking for a boot that will actually keep my feet dry. This season I wore Irish Setter Vaprtreks, they were soaked thru just from high, wet grass. And crossing creeks, forget about it. Looking for something lightweight, comfortable and WATERPROOF. What do you guys like?
Yep, Irish Setters are garbage IMHO…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Benefactor
NAHC Life
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

For the last 8 yrs or so I've used lacrosse grange and they have done well here in Middle GA and central Fla . I even took them out west for KS ,NE ,SD and Co .
10th Legion legionare !
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

cluckcluckbang wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 8:06 pm I’m looking for a boot that will actually keep my feet dry. This season I wore Irish Setter Vaprtreks, they were soaked thru just from high, wet grass. And crossing creeks, forget about it. Looking for something lightweight, comfortable and WATERPROOF. What do you guys like?
Crispi boots or anything Gore-Tex. I've worn LaCrosse Grange for the past 20 years with no issues other than I wanted better ankle support so this year I'm wearing Crispi Lapponia's paired with Kenetrek gaiters and my feet have stayed dry while walking thru tall wet grass and hunting in the rain. They have great ankle support and are lightweight. Gaiters will keep the bottom of your pants and the tops of your boots dry. If your pants get wet walking thru wet grass your socks will get wet then your boots. That's why gaiters are worth wearing.
lowoctane

Post by lowoctane »

kythunter wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:08 am
cluckcluckbang wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 8:06 pm I’m looking for a boot that will actually keep my feet dry. This season I wore Irish Setter Vaprtreks, they were soaked thru just from high, wet grass. And crossing creeks, forget about it. Looking for something lightweight, comfortable and WATERPROOF. What do you guys like?
Crispi boots or anything Gore-Tex. I've worn LaCrosse Grange for the past 20 years with no issues other than I wanted better ankle support so this year I'm wearing Crispi Lapponia's paired with Kenetrek gaiters and my feet have stayed dry while walking thru tall wet grass and hunting in the rain. They have great ankle support and are lightweight. Gaiters will keep the bottom of your pants and the tops of your boots dry. If your pants get wet walking thru wet grass your socks will get wet then your boots. That's why gaiters are worth wearing.
Great info, thx!
NRA Benefactor
NAHC Life

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”