ebike for hunting

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: ebike for hunting

Post by Hoobilly »

Absolutely love my QuietKat
Used it in SouthDakota to get on my gobblers. Was awesome to go silent and make them shock gobble to find where they were at and head them off. I also used here in Indiana. Went to a good spot 3 miles from my home and promptly missed a goodn smh
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
joey46

Post by joey46 »

I'll bet you do since they are advertisers. They have no business on public land walk in trails. On private property most don't care if you use an Abrams tank.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Hoobilly wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:03 pm Absolutely love my QuietKat
Used it in SouthDakota to get on my gobblers. Was awesome to go silent and make them shock gobble to find where they were at and head them off. I also used here in Indiana. Went to a good spot 3 miles from my home and promptly missed a goodn smh
I am starting to look at ebikes just to get back and forth to work. We have a paved bike trail (rails to trails) that runs right by our house and runs right past our shop. What kind of battery life are you getting out of your bike?
joey46

Post by joey46 »

jsh909 wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:13 pm
I am starting to look at ebikes just to get back and forth to work. We have a paved bike trail (rails to trails) that runs right by our house and runs right past our shop. What kind of battery life are you getting out of your bike?
Keep it off public land walk in trails and many of us will be tickled.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

joey46 wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:22 pm
Keep it off public land walk in trails and many of us will be tickled.
I have zero interest in using one for hunting. Plus here in my home state of Ohio you can not use them. I want to use one for my 10 mile drive to work
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

I should also say though, to each their own. I know this is hotly debated. I hate to see hunter vs hunter division.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I want it understood that this applies to several subjects as well as this one. Hunter on hunter discourse needs to occur. Everyone has a voice that should be heard- respectfully. This provokes my own thought and has helped me see other sides . If we are too quiet then the old adage , “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Just like family, we can disagree but when a “stranger” threatens, that’s when we present the united front.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

joey46 wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:13 pm I'll bet you do since they are advertisers. They have no business on public land walk in trails. On private property most don't care if you use an Abrams tank.
Pfffft
They serve their purpose and I’ll gladly use one on public land if legal to ride. Just cause you don’t like them doesn’t mean those who have them have to keep off public land

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

With pedal assist I can get 10-15 miles depending on the mode I use. Typically I go with 2 or 3 in the hills. 4-5 is way too fast. The new versions are extremely faster

Mine will top out at 25-26 on flat surface in 5

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Hoobilly wrote: May 29th, 2023, 10:32 pm
With pedal assist I can get 10-15 miles depending on the mode I use. Typically I go with 2 or 3 in the hills. 4-5 is way too fast. The new versions are extremely faster

Sounds good. I will give them a look, there is a dealer real close to my house. I see a lot of the queitkat villagers out in his lot
joey46

Post by joey46 »

:blackeye:
Hoobilly wrote: May 29th, 2023, 10:30 pm
joey46 wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:13 pm I'll bet you do since they are advertisers. They have no business on public land walk in trails. On private property most don't care if you use an Abrams tank.
Pfffft
They serve their purpose and I’ll gladly use one on public land if legal to ride. Just cause you don’t like them doesn’t mean those who have them have to keep off public land
Pffft back at ya! Use them all you want on public land but keep them off the trails that are posted as "No motor vehicles". No matter how many cry and whine they have a motor, repeat they have a motor, they have a motor. That should make them a motor vehicle. When enough are sold and the politicians see the money to be made they'll be seen as a revenue enhancer. Then they'll get treated the same as any other MOTOR VEHICLE such as a motorcycle. Turning " no motor vehicle" walk in areas into ebike runways is no joke to me. It is an abomination in the same category as hunting turkeys with a rifle. Might be legal in some places but leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

joey46 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 5:55 am :blackeye:
Pfffft
Pffft back at ya! Use them all you want on public land but keep them off the trails that are posted as "No motor vehicles". No matter how many cry and whine they have a motor, repeat they have a motor, they have a motor. That should make them a motor vehicle. When enough are sold and the politicians see the money to be made they'll be seen as a revenue enhancer. Then they'll get treated the same as any other MOTOR VEHICLE such as a motorcycle. Turning " no motor vehicle" walk in areas into ebike runways is no joke to me. It is an abomination in the same category as hunting turkeys with a rifle. Might be legal in some places but leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Please wear a helmet ! :slap:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
joey46

Post by joey46 »

:lol:
spider316 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 8:49 am

With pedal assist I cet 10-15 miles depending on the mode I use. Typically I go with 2 or 3 in the hills. 4-5 is way too fast. The new versions are extremely faster

And body armor. Pass some guys in the dark on a "walk in no motor vehicle trail" and you may need it. 25mph on flat ground - yep - that's not a motor vehicle. Ebikes are becoming a bad joke but I guess on this forum advertising money is advertising money isn't it? Total sell out. Deal with the devil.:turkeywave:
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

joey46 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 10:19 am :lol:

With pedal assist I cet 10-15 miles depending on the mode I use. Typically I go with 2 or 3 in the hills. 4-5 is way too fast. The new versions are extremely faster

And body armor. Pass some guys in the dark on a "walk in no motor vehicle trail" and you may need it. 25mph on flat ground - yep - that's not a motor vehicle. Ebikes are becoming a bad joke but I guess on this forum advertising money is advertising money isn't it? Total sell out. Deal with the devil.:turkeywave:
You're acting like it's a Bud Light banner.

Use em respectfully where they're legal and don't use them where they're not legal. That's my .02 and yes I own one too. To this point, I have only used it on private land being they're illegal on public here, except for game retrieval (same as atv/utv). I understand you being aggravated at people abusing being able to use em but don't lump everyone who owns em into the same category. I'm not gonna walk past you, let alone drive my bike past you so what issue do you have with how I use mine?
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Pfffft
They serve their purpose and I’ll gladly use one oIn public land if legal to ride. Just cause you don’t like them doesn’t mean those who have them have to keep off public land
I have nothing against e-bikes. I just don't like them being used on public land just because they serve a purpose and someone without infirmities isn't willing to walk. They give an uneven advantage over those that don't have them to access what would otherwise be a long walk in to a remote area. We have gone past the arms race with TSS. I had two men brag to my face last week about birds they shot at 65 and 70 yards. Now we are at a uneven footrace to remote areas that were once a long walk in. This spaced folks out and rewarded those willing to walk the extra mile. Now the e-bikes are going to be jammed into parts of trails that at one time rewarded those willing to spend the time walking or pedaling in. Expecting courtesy and having it happen aren't givens. Two seasons ago at mile 2 into a gated trail, I saw the glow of a fire. Turns out it was a hunter camping at a prohibited location. He had pulled behind his e-bike a trailer which carried his ice chest, tent, stool, sleeping bag, food and hunting gear. Fast forward a few years if and when e-bikes are prohibited: "But I bought my e-bike to use on public land. It was legal then. This isn't fair." Gil
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I have said almost this. Public land should be available anytime the season is open to anyone with a legal tag. If 1000 hunters on opening morning want to lace up and hike to the “ back forty” then so be it. As we all know not all are willing to do so and that back forty should be reserved for those willing to get off their a—es and work for it. If you lack the commitment, ability or both then hunt closer. Turkey hunting as a whole has mirrored this very subject: too many taking the easy ways out, using “ crutches” etc to narrow the gap between minimally successful to extremely successful. Now we re reaping that popularity surge and whining about nonresidents, crowded conditions and fewer birds/opportunities. Only one way to change it and attempt to keep that freedom I mentioned in my 2nd sentence. That is; get back to basics, make it more difficult for the noncommittal hunter to be successful. It won’t change otherwise. Personally I fear it’s too dang late. Laws are gonna follow the money.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
joey46

Post by joey46 »

If nothing else this woke up this "near dead" forum. No topic in the last few months has received this much attention. A good thing on what I consider a big public land problem. There is no legitimate reason to condone the use of a motorized vehicle (750w not a motor? - what is it a light bulb?) on a public trail marked "No motorized vehicles". Simple as that. No more no less.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Wait till the YouTubers start pushing them. Look for more public land to go to limited access.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Coincidentally old time celebrity Roland Martin just posted a YouTube video pushing his new three wheel e bike he says will be used for turkey hunting in Florida. He mentions a few Florida WMAs and in conversation with the motorbikes dealer they talk about their legality. The conversation was sort of confusing but the word "loophole" came up. I really doubt if Roland has hunted a WMA in this century but it was an interesting segment that shows what is coming for the public land hunters with the proliferation of motorized bikes.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Turkinator wrote: May 30th, 2023, 4:32 pm Wait till the YouTubers start pushing them. Look for more public land to go to limited access.
Western YouTubers are using them.

I don't think anyone on here has argued that they should be allowed on nonmotorized trails or maybe I missed it. I don't recall Brice doing it either. Blackhills trails have SxS's crawling all over them in May. An E bike would not be illegal on those trails/roads.

An E Bike isn't causing me any grief unless they cut in on me, but that's ethics and isn't necessarily E bike related. Using them on "nonmotorized" trails does annoy the piss out of me if that's happening Florida or anywhere else.

There are public land trails in many states that are opened to motorized vehicles, jeeps, ATVs, side by's, motorcycles, etc. If I hunt near one of those, I know that I run the risk of being passed up while walking. It's clearly legal in those locations. It still drives me crazy to hike my ass off, get near a bull in September, and here comes a SxS, but I knew that was the deal when I hiked it and they are within their rights, ethics of moving in on me aside.

There are plenty of E bikes being used well within their legal rights and ethically, so I'm not lumping their use into one big pile. Define "pile" however you like. :lol:

As far as my own use goes. I don't use a regular bike and don't see myself using an e bike, mostly because of the damn cost. If I used one, it'd be only on legal trails and roads and I wouldn't be passing folks that were already headed in without stopping and talking to them. Some of the country I hike into for turkeys, elk, or deer is massive and I can't claim it all by being first to the trail. I may want to claim first rights to a bull that I hear but that isn't even possible in country this big accessed by one trailhead.

I've had hunters pass me hiking in the mountains by going around me through the woods, clearly trying to beat me to a park where we were all trying to catch elk at daybreak during a muzzleloader season. They were only able to do so because my dad was with me and I was about to kill him pushing him like that in the mountains. E bikers don't have a monopoly on being a jackass.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

joey46 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 10:19 am :lol:

I’m a brand ambassador for QuietKat. I own my QuietKat and they haven’t paid me a dime for that advertisement

By the way, the forum doesn’t get paid by the users who join up for free on here. All that money comes out of my pocket.

So shut you cry baby mouth about what I like and use and go kill something instead of crying over a e-bike killing all your turkeys

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I’m with you Hobbes, to expensive for me. If public land in the east was as massive and accessible as the blest west it wouldn’t likely be a factor. But some eastern states are very limited in public land and some has very limited access. At one time first at the gate meant something, but that’s a thing of the past.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

about half of BC in Florida is patrolled by swamp buggies anyway
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

I can understand the frustration with some on the use of ebikes. I agree that regardless of the size of the electric motor, its a motor and shouldnt be allowed on trails that do not allow motorized vehicles. Now regardless of the vehicle, bike, or just someone hiking in with flip flops. Encroaching in on someone else that beat you to the spot is the problem, not the vehicles fault.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”