03/24/23: The Way It’s Supposed to Be

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Prospector

03/24/23: The Way It’s Supposed to Be

Post by Prospector »

Things have been quiet here in the ‘Sip. Have had much fun but short on opportunities. Today that changed. Birds have been reluctant gobbling- 4-6 times in the tree and then silence. Have only heard one pm gobble in 9 days. But that changed a little today. Headed to high ground because did not have a clear idea where they were. 0615- decide to blow on my Morning Strike Houndstooth Owl just for the “hey” of it. Owls have not elicited much this year and locator call owls are usually much less. Eight bars and he gobbled under 200 back across road. So with agility beyond my near 51 years I was up, over and into the timber on their side. Meanwhile, a second bird had started on the “toe” of another ridge. So I put myself in the ‘V’ between them. Daylight was upon us so I could not get fancy and get on the ridge above them and all that. This is east central Miss.- a ridge is a 3-4 ft elavation change most times. Sound easy? Try closing on a gobbler in open flat terrain then…. Yep, it ain’t quite what u think. Like a true big league hitter tho, I’ll hit whatever gets pitched. So, back to the story: I’m in the V second row of pines back with a hair bit of cover to hide behind. He gobbles, I Yelp back rt over him. By the 3rd exchange he now starts gobbling again rt over me. As in,” Gobbl-yelp-e, yelp, yel-Gobb-p-le”. The second turkey is also gobbling some too. Both are around 100 away. I never hear wings but I hear the gobble change as he hollers from the ridge. Of course I answer him a time or two more then go quite. Minute or two I hear drumming, 30 seconds he gobbles so close I can hear the echo in his chest, 15 seconds that white helmet. Goes behind an oak and bangs out a strut to give me a chance to go to starvation bead on the FF3. Ok, den, you ready? Good. He eases out 34yds, head up, boom! Payload otw. Beautiful, lusty, cleanly killed 2yo. First thing I see as I saunter up ( defined as , “ clawing thru the underbrush like a tornado to get there”) is a little short blond tipped beard. OMG- nope he has spurs and a full fan. Whew! See pics in the kill thread. Thanks for going with me!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 03/24/23: The Way It’s Supposed to Be

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Sounds like fun to me. I'd love to have a week or two in the Southeast right now.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Congrats 4.jpg
Congrats 4.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 568 times
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Congrats. Way to stick with it!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Man, I like a great read! Enjoyed it. Congratulations!
Don
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Nice

Return to “Gobbler Talk”