That’s a wrap

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ShortMagFan

That’s a wrap

Post by ShortMagFan »

Finished up for the year this morning calling for a neighbor to what could not have been a more disinterested turkey

Hunted 27 mornings in 3 states

I’ll say I’m concerned about a lot of things related to the wild Turkey. From lack of numbers to lack of gobbling in a lot of places this year to methods employed by a lot of other hunters I don’t agree with. I think we will be seeing a lot of change in the coming years if we want to continue to be able to enjoy this sport

But I’m thankful I got to hunt a lot in 2022 and found a few birds willing to play the game.

Now on to planning for 2023 - lots of habitat work to happen between now and trapping season
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: That’s a wrap

Post by jsh909 »

What methods did you see?
Goodtimekiller

Post by Goodtimekiller »

I think turkey hunting should be strictly bow only with no blinds and no decoys.

If we want to help the population, let’s really show it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Congrats.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

ShortMagFan

Post by ShortMagFan »

I’m not going to get into whether this or that should be outlawed but if you don’t think something needs to change you aren’t paying attention.

I’m incredibly thankful to have been able to play the game this spring. I worry about how much longer we will be able to. I personally believe there are many out there that harvest turkey that do not appreciate what *I* believe turkey hunting is supposed to be.
Shawnee Cowboy

Post by Shawnee Cowboy »

Goodtimekiller wrote:I think turkey hunting should be strictly bow only with no blinds and no decoys.

If we want to help the population, let’s really show it.

Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BobT

Post by BobT »

Our hunting here has been going downhill since the early '80s. We have a bunch of problems, the last few years the weather has been terrible for poult survival, add to that nest predators in abundance and illegal hunting / methods and it's a wonder we have any birds to hunt at all.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I hunted 4 states on about 18 mornings. In the places I hunted that I have been before, I think the population is similar or better than last year based on sign in the woods. I do know that I heard less turkeys gobbling in those same areas. At my deer lease that I do not turkey hunt, two other hunters scouted a lot weeks and days before season opened. Birds gobbled good until day before season opened. On the opener, they magically shut up for the three to fours days they hunted before heading out of state. Similar stories happened in several places I hunt and buddies hunted in Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, and Virginia. Not really sure what you would attribute that gobbling to in the areas that are not pressured.

As far as hunting methods and number of hunters and birds killed legally or illegally, yes there are problems, but none that are going to be fixed in any way that will make everyone happy. I hunt almost exclusively on public land. With all the new hunters, there are still places and ways to get away from the crowds. Takes time and effort, but seems to be worth it.

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

ShortMagFan wrote: May 11th, 2022, 8:16 am I’m not going to get into whether this or that should be outlawed but if you don’t think something needs to change you aren’t paying attention.

I’m incredibly thankful to have been able to play the game this spring. I worry about how much longer we will be able to. I personally believe there are many out there that harvest turkey that do not appreciate what *I* believe turkey hunting is supposed to be.
Sorry if my question came across offensive. I was just curious what you saw. I didn't mean to indicate everything was fine, I was just curious as to what kind of behavior you came across.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I saw more ignorance in fellow hunters this year in a few day span than I had the previous 25 plus seasons! And I am not talking about specific hunting tactics I am talking about coming into my set ups and ruining my hunts knowingly!

Last time I hunt the opener in that place!
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Dtrkyman wrote: May 21st, 2022, 9:46 am I saw more ignorance in fellow hunters this year in a few day span than I had the previous 25 plus seasons! And I am not talking about specific hunting tactics I am talking about coming into my set ups and ruining my hunts knowingly!

This describes exactly my experience as well. I was shocked at how ignorant several guys behaved this spring showing zero courtesy and respect.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
wisgobbler997

That’s a wrap

Post by wisgobbler997 »

paboxcall wrote:
Dtrkyman wrote: May 21st, 2022, 9:46 am I saw more ignorance in fellow hunters this year in a few day span than I had the previous 25 plus seasons! And I am not talking about specific hunting tactics I am talking about coming into my set ups and ruining my hunts knowingly!

This describes exactly my experience as well. I was shocked at how ignorant several guys behaved this spring showing zero courtesy and respect.
It’s the same everywhere I suspect these days. I’m seeing a lot of new guys on the public lands I hunt. Many likely started during the whole Covid lockdown stuff. I’m kind of an older guy I guess and likely set in my ways and probably more opinionated about what I feel is the right way to hunt turkeys than most would appreciate. I hunt turkeys because I love turkey hunting more than anything on earth. I agree that we need changes, I kinda feel like respect, sportsmanship and integrity are dying in this world. It’s sad to see.
I’ve read reports of guys shooting birds off of the roost and I’ve seen multiple hero pics of guys with bearded hens which they seem to think is some extra special trophy based on rarity. I also had a hunt ruined by an inexperienced guy who came walking in to a couple of gobbling birds that were coming to me. He was deeply in love with his crow call apparently. I think there are way to many YouTube turkey experts.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”