Anyone deer hunting?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
2nd100

Re: Anyone deer hunting?

Post by 2nd100 »

2 hunts .
10/22 was a 165 yd rifle kill for my neice.
10/24 I killed a doe will check the yardage tomorrow believe it to be over 160 yds with a AR 15 in 7.62 x 39 Russian. Next one will need more Kentucky windage as the shot was a tad low .
But it was good training for the Drathar pup !
10th Legion legionare !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

2nd100 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 1:16 am 2 hunts .
10/22 was a 165 yd rifle kill for my neice.
10/24 I killed a doe will check the yardage tomorrow believe it to be over 160 yds with a AR 15 in 7.62 x 39 Russian. Next one will need more Kentucky windage as the shot was a tad low .
But it was good training for the Drathar pup !
That’s pretty cool

More info on the dog?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Today was my first chance to get in a stand.
69B1CF90-7E62-4439-A43C-198157F3A140.jpeg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Turkinator wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:23 pm Today was my first chance to get in a stand.69B1CF90-7E62-4439-A43C-198157F3A140.jpeg
You capitalized on that!

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Congrats turkinator...

I went out last night and streamed the Lions game, makes hunting deer alot more bearable..
Screenshot_20211024-181739.png
Tonight I'd a sent one but didn't go.. Stupid Cell cams are great til your an alert at 6..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:38 pm Congrats turkinator...

I went out last night and streamed the Lions game, makes hunting deer alot more bearable..
Screenshot_20211024-181739.png

Tonight I'd a sent one but didn't go.. Stupid Cell cams are great til your an alert at 6..
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

I plan to sit for the 1st time this weekend. It's been too hot for me til now but this cold front has me motivated. Hope to get a shot at a doe or hog being I don't have a buck on cam that's remotely close to being a shooter. I'm looking forward to my annual trip to KY in a few weeks!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Jbird22 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:58 pm I plan to sit for the 1st time this weekend. It's been too hot for me til now but this cold front has me motivated. Hope to get a shot at a doe or hog being I don't have a buck on cam that's remotely close to being a shooter. I'm looking forward to my annual trip to KY in a few weeks!
I gotta get my rear in gear and get my stuff ready for Kentucky

Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

hoobilly wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:15 pm
Jbird22 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:58 pm I plan to sit for the 1st time this weekend. It's been too hot for me til now but this cold front has me motivated. Hope to get a shot at a doe or hog being I don't have a buck on cam that's remotely close to being a shooter. I'm looking forward to my annual trip to KY in a few weeks!
:thumbleft: .. I'm counting down the days! It's such a different world from what I'm used to here in the deep south.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Jbird22 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:16 pm
hoobilly wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:15 pm
:thumbleft: .. I'm counting down the days! It's such a different world from what I'm used to here in the deep south.
I live in flat land northern Indiana. Where we own property it’s mountains in eastern Kentucky

Griff

Post by Griff »

Early Youth season here in Mo. this weekend 30 & 31. My 8 year old Grandson got a doe Sat. morning. He was quite proud of that accomplishment. .243 youth model Rem. 700 , 100 gr. B.T.S.P. Hornady Interlock . It ran about 75 yds. I don't know how to post pictures

Griff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Griff wrote: October 31st, 2021, 9:24 pm Early Youth season here in Mo. this weekend 30 & 31. My 8 year old Grandson got a doe Sat. morning. He was quite proud of that accomplishment. .243 youth model Rem. 700 , 100 gr. B.T.S.P. Hornady Interlock . It ran about 75 yds. I don't know how to post pictures

Griff
Congrats to your son!

If you ever get a chance to try the Winchester Deer Season XP 95 grain bullets. They are the best I’ve ever shot for a factory load

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote: October 31st, 2021, 10:44 pm
Griff wrote: October 31st, 2021, 9:24 pm Early Youth season here in Mo. this weekend 30 & 31. My 8 year old Grandson got a doe Sat. morning. He was quite proud of that accomplishment. .243 youth model Rem. 700 , 100 gr. B.T.S.P. Hornady Interlock . It ran about 75 yds. I don't know how to post pictures

Griff
Congrats to your son!

If you ever get a chance to try the Winchester Deer Season XP 95 grain bullets. They are the best I’ve ever shot for a factory load
Really? Not questioning, but always shot partition, than switched to Barnes TTSX for no reason, partitions were awesome. Barnes are too

My buddies shoot 300 WSMs and laugh at the 243.. I dunno, same end game
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

Michigan has a two buck limit and I couldn't pass #3 on the list when he came by.

first time in 48yrs I'm going into gun season with only doe tags in my pockets. :|

#3.jpg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

AlinMi wrote: November 1st, 2021, 4:52 am Michigan has a two buck limit and I couldn't pass #3 on the list when he came by.

first time in 48yrs I'm going into gun season with only doe tags in my pockets. :|

#3.jpg
Nice buck!!!!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: November 1st, 2021, 1:09 am
hoobilly wrote: October 31st, 2021, 10:44 pm

Griff
Congrats to your son!

Really? Not questioning, but always shot partition, than switched to Barnes TTSX for no reason, partitions were awesome. Barnes are too

My buddies shoot 300 WSMs and laugh at the 243.. I dunno, same end game
I don’t think there’s much better than Barnes bullets

But they are more expensive and hard to find locally compared to the deer season xp

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

AlinMi wrote: November 1st, 2021, 4:52 am Michigan has a two buck limit and I couldn't pass #3 on the list when he came by.

#3.jpg
Congratulations great deer.. Are you on FB? I follow MI Buck Pole there are some real bruisers falling in S MI.. I'm talking bonafide you'd be happy to travel OOS and be happy bruisers..

North of 20 not so much..
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

[/quote]

Congratulations great deer.. Are you on FB? I follow MI Buck Pole there are some real bruisers falling in S MI.. I'm talking bonafide you'd be happy to travel OOS and be happy bruisers..

North of 20 not so much..
[/quote]

Nope not on FB but have seen pics guys have passed along.

I'm in "the thumb" and there use to be a day when any buck was fair game. About 20yrs ago I started my plot programs along with being more selective on what I took and if nothing excited me then I'd take a few select does out. Finally got most of the neighbors to buy in and the last 7-8 years the quality of the bucks has greatly improved in the area. I'll put 3-4-5 bucks on a hit list if worthy and if I see them during archery I'll take one and this has been the first year for taking two.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

24899.jpeg
Shot a heavy cull buck in WV on Halloween
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

Congrats!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

jsh909 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 6:39 pm 24899.jpegShot a heavy cull buck in WV on Halloween
Any more tags?

We can only kill one buck here in Indiana

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats.
But I’m curious as to why that’s a cull buck. Looks young to me but it may be the pic. Idk.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

OLE RASPY wrote: November 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm Congrats.
But I’m curious as to why that’s a cull buck. Looks young to me but it may be the pic. Idk.
He is a 3.5 year old. He has never had brows and his relatives have only main beams no points. His dad (we are assuming) is about 6 now with just main beams and one point on the left. None of them gain any mass or points. Great eating though. They all get plump. Only reason he is a cull is essentially we try not to shoot any deer under 3 years old unless they are these guys. I was plenty happy to have him though. I enjoy the hunt not the antlers.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

jsh909 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 5:02 am
He is a 3.5 year old. He has never had brows and his relatives have only main beams no points. His dad (we are assuming) is about 6 now with just main beams and one point on the left. None of them gain any mass or points. Great eating though. They all get plump. Only reason he is a cull is essentially we try not to shoot any deer under 3 years old unless they are these guys. I was plenty happy to have him though. I enjoy the hunt not the antlers.
Yep that definitely needed taken out!

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

jsh909 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 5:02 am
Ahhhh. Ok. I gotcha. Oh yea they eat good. Good job
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”