More Chainsaw Work

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

More Chainsaw Work

Post by HunterGKS »

The trail to my deer stand goes through a swampy area. On the near side of the swamp, a tree had blown over
with the roots/stump right in the middle of the trail. A month ago, I was able to find a way around the tree &,
while it was a little squishy, drove all the way back to more trees across the trail & get them cut up & out of the
way.

I hadn’t planned on doing anything with this tree but decided to clear it from the trail this morning between
working out & lunch. I started about 10:10 by cutting 6 notches on the top side to keep the guide from being
pinched. It turns out that I really only needed a notch at the end away from the roots. By placing a piece of
wood under the log near the roots, I kept it from dropping down so the other 5 notches were not needed.

001.jpeg

The chain was getting dull but I only had a few more cuts to make on the roots. I was able to lift 1 side of the
roots & flip it over out of the trail.

002.jpg

There was 1 piece of root that I needed to remove as I was concerned that I would hit it with a sidewall causing
a blow out & ruined tire.. I had about 2 minutes more of cutting time & I ran out of gas!! !@#$%^&*()_!!!! I didn’t
think I would need more than the saw tank & didn’t bring any extra. Again, !@#$%^&*()!!!! If I hadn’t cut the 5
extra notches, I would have finished. For the 3rd time, !@#$%^&*()_+!!!! I’ll get it next time out.

I was done by 10:45 & headed to lunch. The trail is now clear from the north end to the south end & my deer blind.

003.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”