Comp-N-Choke Barrel Threading Update

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
patternfreak

Comp-N-Choke Barrel Threading Update

Post by patternfreak »

Figured I would give an update on the Indian Creek chokes not fitting my old Mossberg 500 .410 barrel that CNC threaded.

Upon receiving the barrel back from CNC I tried screwing in two Indian Creek chokes of the correct thread pattern. Neither would even come close to threading in the barrel.

Called CNC and they told me this was common with Indian Creek chokes due to the threads being "taller" than normal.

I was told to take some sandpaper and lightly sand the threads and try to screw the choke in after each sanding.

Finally last night I was able to get around to this. I used 150 grit sandpaper and "rolled" the threads in the sandpaper like I was screwing it into the sandpaper.

It took quite a bit of sanding and screwing in and out but I was able to make both chokes go in like butter. If I had to do it again I would maybe go to 100 grit so I didn't have to sand as much.

The chokes bottom out a little early leaving a little more of a gap than I am accustomed to, but I believe it will be okay since they are screwed in tight now.

CNC did a great job with my barrel and took the time to walk me through getting the chokes to work. Glad to finally have it done

Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Comp-N-Choke Barrel Threading Update

Post by Samm4770 »

Thanks for sharing!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

I wouldn't be happy, if they know the IC chokes have a major diameter that won't fit thier work, why weren't you told that before hand. Also that's a lot of free space between the barrel and the choke seat. Make sure the barrel ID is smaller than the entrance ID to the choke if it is completely seated in the barrel. You don't want anything that would create an occlusion for the wad, shot and expanding burning gases as it leaves the barrel. Just please check it all out before you try it.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

That’s quite a gap. On my M2 there is about a thumbnail gap and I discussed it with Indian creek before I shot it. Indian creek assured me it was normal. I’ve ran dozens of TSS turkey loads and hundreds of squirrel loads through it so I believe them! I think I’d really check that one out carefully before lighting the fire.
Tylerray378

Post by Tylerray378 »

My rossi is currently there right now. I’m planning on running a Carlson tss choke in it. I’ll update when I get the barrel back.
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Tylerray378 wrote: July 6th, 2022, 10:07 pm My rossi is currently there right now. I’m planning on running a Carlson tss choke in it. I’ll update when I get the barrel back.
They said Indian Creek was the only company who threads their chokes that way, so your Carlson should fit just fine with no sanding
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

Talked to CNC about the barrel gap and sent them the picture. They said that was completely okay as long as the choke was bottomed out firmly in the barrel
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I think they will be fine. I would find an oring to fill that gap up. Not that the gap will hurt anything, but an oring would fill the gap and give it the appearance of a better fit.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

guesswho wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:39 pm I think they will be fine. I would find an oring to fill that gap up. Not that the gap will hurt anything, but an oring would fill the gap and give it the appearance of a better fit.
And to prevent any moisture from creating a "tight" problem, awesome idea ! :thumbup:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Just wrap a piece of electrical tape around it and nobody will ever see it............ :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

CamoMan4025 wrote: July 7th, 2022, 4:01 pm Just wrap a piece of electrical tape around it and nobody will ever see it............ :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
Sum Biatch, didn't even think of the ol letric tape trick ! :banghead: :angry5:
Imagine it wit shrink wrap, and an ol torch by the wik ? :scratch: :cheers:
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Take the choke out, tape up the threads and top of choke and spray the section that shows with blank appliance high heat paint. Works fine for me in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Might be okay but excessive amount showing! I just got my M3020 barrel back yesterday from CnC and the price went way up for their barrel cutting and threading. After shipping it was 180.00. A year ago it was just over 100 but I guess everything has gone up! Last barrel of mine they will get.

Casey
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

Rose Action Sports for your barrel cutting and rethreading..
$125 and you won’t have none of these issues.
It’s not the Indian Creek chokes that are the problem.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Roost 1 wrote: August 4th, 2022, 7:29 am Rose Action Sports for your barrel cutting and rethreading..
They need to become a site sponsor
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Tylerray378

Post by Tylerray378 »

Just got my rossi barrel back yesterday. Shipped on June 14th. Threads look good. No damage. I have a Carlson tss choke in the mail as we speak. I’ll let you guys know if there’s any threading issues with mine. I’m pretty excited though. My total was $149 for barrel work and return shipping.
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

Hoobilly wrote: August 4th, 2022, 10:14 am
Roost 1 wrote: August 4th, 2022, 7:29 am Rose Action Sports for your barrel cutting and rethreading..
I wish he would.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Roost 1 wrote: August 4th, 2022, 12:17 pm
Hoobilly wrote: August 4th, 2022, 10:14 am
I wish he would.
soon as I get my gun picked up i will send it to him to get threaded. Once I see how his work is I will get with him again and see what can be done.

Tylerray378

Post by Tylerray378 »

Just fyi, they thread it for “long invector” browning style threads. Don’t ask me how I know that now. LOL
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Tylerray378 wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:53 pm Just fyi, they thread it for “long invector” browning style threads. Don’t ask me how I know that now. LOL
No such thing as long invector. It’s technically bps invector 410

chris30br

Post by chris30br »

They didn’t do you a very good job or you wouldn’t be taken Sandpaper to well-known child manufactures threads. I do machining on CNC equipment every day and this is bull crap I’d be sending it barrel back. Name one factory shotgun and Indian Creek Chokes won’t screw into???? Lol
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

chris30br wrote: August 8th, 2022, 5:06 pm They didn’t do you a very good job or you wouldn’t be taken Sandpaper to well-known child manufactures threads. I do machining on CNC equipment every day and this is bull crap I’d be sending it barrel back. Name one factory shotgun and Indian Creek Chokes won’t screw into???? Lol
Pretty much my thoughts

chris30br

Post by chris30br »

And it’s blows my mind that ppl even begin to think that it safe. Good grief, treads have a purpose to hold things too, not take material away from them because said company says to take “SANDPAPER” to the treads?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

chris30br wrote: August 8th, 2022, 7:59 pm And it’s blows my mind that ppl even begin to think that it safe. Good grief, treads have a purpose to hold things too, not take material away from them because said company says to take “SANDPAPER” to the treads?
I had a barrel done by them. My browning BPS the Indiancreek chokes screwed in and out flawlessly. But not the barrel they did for me.

Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

chris30br wrote: August 8th, 2022, 5:06 pm They didn’t do you a very good job or you wouldn’t be taken Sandpaper to well-known child manufactures threads. I do machining on CNC equipment every day and this is bull crap I’d be sending it barrel back. Name one factory shotgun and Indian Creek Chokes won’t screw into???? Lol
Indian Creek chokes will not screw into Mossberg International SA-28 barrel. Briley screwed in effortlessly, no go on IC without sending them the barrel. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has happened to.

Return to “Small Bore”