Beretta Model 412 single-shot Woodcock 2017

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Beretta Model 412 single-shot Woodcock 2017

Post by GLS »

I bought the gun 3 years ago this March and thought about rigging it out for turkeys. Despite it shooting better than good TSS patterns, I couldn't bring myself to do it. The link to the pattern photos with TSS is below. Here's what it was part of today:

Floyd, the Woodcock Whisperer, his Sadie, Pop and I had a great day today in the lowcountry bottoms.
Here’s my Beretta Model 412 single-shot 20 made in 1957. It’s a full choke, but I shot Polywad spreader loads that did the trick. At 4 lbs., 13 oz, it’s a great carry in the woods and I rarely get a second shot anyway. There’s a doodle between Pop and Floyd’s hand. Floyd shot his Ithaca SKB 20 and he is one fine shot with it. Gil

PS: This same Beretta shoots remarkable TSS patterns as well.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7614&hilit=speciale

Last edited by GLS on January 11th, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Beretta Model 412 single-shot

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Looks like a fine hunt. Cool little gun.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

nice mess of birds!
you should at least kill a turkey with it..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

The Beretta loos a lot like a Galef folding companion. I've been searching for one in .410. Beautiful Brittany by the way.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Very nice. Cool gun; a joy to carry I'm sure.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nice brace of birds!
gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

WTG! Congrats!
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Turkinator wrote:The Beretta loos a lot like a Galef folding companion. I've been searching for one in .410. Beautiful Brittany by the way.
Good luck on your quest. I'd like to find a single-shot in 24 gauge. I've seen a few doubles, but the costs exceed my desire. <g> According to this link by Beretta, the 412 was made in 12, 16, 20, 28, 24, 32 and 36 (.410) gauges and bore. In later years, Beretta contracted with a Brazilian factory to make the folder. I have seen the 412 with the Beretta name mfg. in Brazil. Earlier guns were made in Italy. http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta_Foldi ... series.htm Note the hunting scene painting where live bird call cages are hung in front of a blind. I wonder what bird they are hunting? I don't believe it the alouette (field lark) as the Europeans used a device studded with small mirrors that turned attracting the larks.
Gil
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Cool gun. That looks like a ton of fun. I sure miss hunting woodcock. Once in a while we'd be out hunting grouse and realize a flight of woodcock had landed the night before.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

That is a cool little gun! I didn't know it existed.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Steve, you see a few pop-up on Gunbroker. Last one I saw was before the holidays that I gave a buddy a heads-up on. It was a later Beretta made in Brazil in 20 gauge. He bought it for $175. Heckuva an inexpensive way to get into a Beretta break-action shotgun. There were other Italian manufacturers that made a similar gun that was imported into the US. Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Beretta Model 412 single-shot and Woodcock 2017

Post by GLS »

I’ve had to eat my words above regarding the Beretta single-shot. Since writing above in this thread that I rarely can shoot the second shot because the bird is usually adios by the time I recover from the first shot and miss, I’ve taken a couple of birds recently because of having a second shot. This past weekend, I carried my French 16 ga. Brun-Latrige. It’s not a fancy gun, but it is well-made and has some nice features one of which it weighs only 5 lbs., 13 oz. The sling is handy for not only walking around, but convenient to free up both hands while messing with dogs, etc. The gun was probably made before WWII in the arms center of France, St. Etienne. Floyd and I explored new territory Saturday afternoon and were birdless in the new area. I needed to get my dogs Willa and Abby on birds, so we went to a known nearby Woodcock ATM and in the last hour of the day, made this withdrawal:
Sunday we went to another location that we haven’t been to this year. Only reason you don’t see a limit of six is because I missed the last two flushes with two shots a blazin’ at each flush. Floyd, his dogs, Sadie and Pop. My 16 Frenchie and his Ithaca SKB 20. Gil

Return to “Small Bore”