New gun..?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
KPcalls

New gun..?

Post by KPcalls »

I've got an itch for a new turkey gun and I'm having trouble deciding on what to get. I recently won a Stoeger M3000 with a 28" barrel and some kind of marsh grass camo, at our Tri-Parish turkey banquet....(not affiliated with the NWTF) I'm proud to say....anyway, the gun shoots well and is fairly light...well, I fell in love with it until I screwed myself out of a Ms, longbeard with it due to the long ass now 30" barrel and a sapling. It's for sale by the way. I'm leaning towards the M3500 Stoeger with the 24" barrel and pistol grip simply because it's priced right and has all the features I want in a turkey gun. This gun will be for turkey hunting only and that's another reason I just can't justify buying a 1,500.00 plus auto just to turkey hunt with...I honestly don't remember the last time that I needed a second shot. I have dug up some info, but not much on the new Winchester sx3 long beard gun. It looks like a fine one. It's priced a few hundred more and is also a possibility. I'm just not crazy about the cantilever barrel are the dura touch coating on them...that stuff is peeling off of my BPS now. Any thoughts on the Stoeger are other options in a 12..3.5" auto with a 24" barrel would be greatly appreciated....Thanks Kenny
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New gun..?

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I don't know much about them, but Weatherby makes a 22" barreled auto loader with a pistol grip. Just throwing it out there for you. It's a good looking gun if you can get past terrible looking sight on the barrel, not sure if you can remove it or not. It's about 2" tall. Ugly as hell.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

If you don't like the SX3 Cantilever Look at the SX3 Super X Universal hunter, Comes drilled and tapped and in Mossy oak break up infinity. 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge and 3 inch 20 gauge.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I like my 2000 pretty much!! I think Ren liked his 3500 too, but he has went all the way and got an SBE now.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Clay that thing is ugly... :D

I'll check on the other SX3 mentioned d.winsor...and check out the Weatherby website..

I'm going to Cabela's in a little while to look at some guns....probably need to leave the debit card at home... :lol:
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Man I like that Winchester sx3 long beard. If you're planning on using a scope or any other optics that cantilever bbl is the way to go. I also like the Stoeger 3500 with pistol grip and I think both are good choices, IMO, but I'd look hard at that Win sx3 LB. It'd be close to perfect for me and my setup since I prefer a scope
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Spurcollecta wrote:Man I like that Winchester sx3 long beard. If you're planning on using a scope or any other optics that cantilever bbl is the way to go. I also like the Stoeger 3500 with pistol grip and I think both are good choices, IMO, but I'd look hard at that Win sx3 LB. It'd be close to perfect for me and my setup since I prefer a scope
I've used a scope for the last 15 years are so...I just can't find much info, on the SX3 long beard. Winchester doesn't even have a picture of it on their website...
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Maybe this'll help KP. The gun looks pretty sweet too me. I wish I would've looked at it before I bought my sbe2 but I didn't even know it existed, lol

http://blog.winchester.com/2014/super-x ... d-shotgun/
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Spurcollecta wrote:Maybe this'll help KP. The gun looks pretty sweet too me. I wish I would've looked at it before I bought my sbe2 but I didn't even know it existed, lol

I think they just came out in 2014.....thanks for the link...
The only draw back with me on the gun is with the cantilever barrel.....this means it's solely a turkey gun, and it could never be used for anything else in the future without buying :D a 460.00 barrel.
I also believe it has dura coat....I don't like dura coat at all.....my BPS butt stock is peeling and sticky.
I do love the adjustable comb pieces that come with the gun a lot.
maybe I'll get lucky and get to put my hands on one in a couple of hours...headed to Cabela's in Gonzales La, shortly...
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Yeah it'd be a dedicated turkey gun if I was to get it but so is my sbe2. However, you could put a FF3 on it and wing shoot with it ;) lol

Report back and let us know what you find
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

I liked those sx3's but the cantilever was a turnoff. I ended up going with the sbe2 with a 24" barrel and a steadygrip. It will be a turkey gun, and squirrel, pigeon, dove and whatever else. I may even shoot a duck with it... if I find one lit on a pond somewhere
jcrob1

Post by jcrob1 »

Spurcollecta wrote:Maybe this'll help KP. The gun looks pretty sweet too me. I wish I would've looked at it before I bought my sbe2 but I didn't even know it existed, lol

Dang..I had not seen this gun before either. Looks pretty sweet and I agree, the cantilever barrel would be nice for us scope shooters.
jcrob1

Post by jcrob1 »

Dang..I had not seen this gun before either. Looks pretty sweet and I agree, the cantilever barrel would be nice for us scope shooters.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

KPcalls wrote:Clay that thing is ugly... :D
Don't be hating on my suggestion! I told you it was ugly! The gun itself isn't bad looking, but that sight is awful. I don't know why someone would put that on a hunting shotgun. It may not even be 3-1/2 like you want. It was just an idea...and it's nothing a hacksaw can't fix.
d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

Put a Fastfire 3 on that SX3 NWTF and put whatever choke you want in it. If you want to hunt small game go with a modified choke and 2 3/4 inch shells, it will do ok.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

That winchester looks good. Like seeing them step up in turkey guns.
Get you an 870 20ga. Build it like you want it. You ain't too far from Waddle Wacker. I think he is shooting TSS. I bet anything he will give you a hand. You will have a top shelf turkeys only gun and a lot less cost.
I have seen these guns at WalMart for $307. Short barrels and all.
Keep in mind I give this advise cause you said turkeys only. If you wanna use it for ducks an such then get an auto. I am just goin off what you said you wanted.

JD

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I have a 2000 and like it as well, might look at the WBY SA08. I just bought one in a 20 ga but have not shot it yet so I can't tell you anything about it.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Johndoe wrote:That winchester looks good. Like seeing them step up in turkey guns.
Get you an 870 20ga. Build it like you want it. You ain't too far from Waddle Wacker. I think he is shooting TSS. I bet anything he will give you a hand. You will have a top shelf turkeys only gun and a lot less cost.
Keep in mind I give this advise cause you said turkeys only. If you wanna use it for ducks an such then get an auto. I am just goin off what you said you wanted.

JD
That's the best idea, if you ask me, and I'd be glad to help in any way. You could buy plenty TSS with the money you'd save on the gun. Or you could save even more and go to JD's favorite new website and buy one slightly used for under $200 and trick it out.....which I wouldn't hesitate to do.
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

KP, any luck at Cabelas?
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Waddle Whacker wrote:
Johndoe wrote:That winchester looks good. Like seeing them step up in turkey guns.

JD
That's the best idea, if you ask me, and I'd be glad to help in any way. You could buy plenty TSS with the money you'd save on the gun. Or you could save even more and go to JD's favorite new website and buy one slightly used for under $200 and trick it out.....which I wouldn't hesitate to do.
I love my 870 Youth! I have shot it for years with Winchester #5's and then went to Hevi 6's and HWT 7's. Next year it will be slinging 1.625 ounces of TSS 8.5's.

Can't go wrong with a 20 and good loads!
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Sorry I left you guy's in suspense... :D It was a long day. Left Cabela's and rushed over to watch my girlfriends daughter and her team win a weekend long softball tournament that started Friday night. I got to see and hold some fine gun's. They didn't have the new SX3 long beard gun and the guy's behind the counter hadn't heard of it. They did have a SX3 in black 3.5 for $949.00 ...it felt good ! The camo,models were $ 999.00. I held a couple of SBE2 guns both new and used there. They felt nice, but that's not gong to happen. The used one had camo worn off, a loose fore end stock and butt pad. It looked rough and they still wanted 1100.00 for it. They had a few Weatherby black 3" guns with a 28" barrel on sale for 479.00 they sure felt nice, seemed light and well built. They didn't have the Stoeger M3500 with the pistol grip I wanted to see either. I really don't need a new turkey gun, just figured since I won this M3000 that I'm going to sell, I'll use that money and some more to get yet another. Y'all know how it is... :D. I'm going to give a friend a call and get some prices and go from there.

As for as the 870 20 gauge guy's I love them. I have three little boys and the oldest two each have one. My oldest Kade has killed five long beards with his using nitro ammo, the first one was at age eight. I also intend to buy another 870 for myself and for my new turkey hunting partner to use. She killed her first bird with me in Middle Tennessee this spring and loved it.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Ok so you don't need one of those hi dollar autos. Problem solved.

:-)

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
jasonb53

Post by jasonb53 »

Johndoe wrote:Ok so you don't need one of those hi dollar autos. Problem solved.

I need one.....just can't decide what for yet
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Johndoe wrote:Ok so you don't need one of those hi dollar autos. Problem solved.

Your right....I don't damn it.... :lol: I'll probably buy the Stoeger M3500 with the pistol grip and another youth 870 for myself and for my girl friend to use...I know TSS is some awesome stuff and I use to love reloading...I was reloading my own 12 gauge shells at age 15 with a MEC 600 jr. I wish I had the time to play with it, but my free time these days is very limited.

Return to “Gun Talk”