Pattern/barrel problem

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Timmypo1

Pattern/barrel problem

Post by Timmypo1 »

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to send my barrel back to Remington for the choke being bored off center. This is around 25 yards. I'd assuming all the high left misses aren't even on my paper when I pattern at 40 yards. At 40 my pattern is fairly even, I couldn't see any of this, although I knew I was missing some pellets on my 36" sheet of paper. Is this kind of stuff within the realm of normal for a close pattern, or is it most likely a sign of something wrong? Anyone else seeing anything like this in their short range patterns? Remington 870, 3" 2oz TSS, 8.5's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Pattern/barrel problem

Post by Johndoe »

I have never seen anything like that. I would send it back.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Should work fine for flock shooting hummingbirds.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Maybe try some turkey loads other than TSS and see how they do at that range
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I've had flyers before, but that's just crazy.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Definitely have never seen anything like that before.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

That's odd.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Now is the time to send it back and get it fixed.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

It might just be me, but as tight as that pattern is I would put a fastfire 3 on the gun pattern it for 40 yards and hunt the setup. As tight as I see it you will need at least a red dot for close in work anyway. I'd like to see a pattern at 40 yards. As far as you feeling you are loosing a few shot out of your pattern, you have more than enough left to do the job. Go hunting and have fun.
Timmypo1

Pattern/barrel problem

Post by Timmypo1 »

d.winsor wrote:It might just be me, but as tight as that pattern is I would put a fastfire 3 on the gun pattern it for 40 yards and hunt the setup. As tight as I see it you will need at least a red dot for close in work anyway. I'd like to see a pattern at 40 yards. As far as you feeling you are loosing a few shot out of your pattern, you have more than enough left to do the job. Go hunting and have fun.
40 yard.

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Here is the real deal. You have 10 months to send it back and get a new one dialed in. If they don't send you a new one you are out $10 for shipping.
If you don't the 1st bird you miss you will wonder. Get it over with. It's clear you worry about it.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Johndoe wrote:Here is the real deal. You have 10 months to send it back and get a new one dialed in. If they don't send you a new one you are out $10 for shipping.
If you don't the 1st bird you miss you will wonder. Get it over with. It's clear you worry about it.
Agreed. That is a good looking 40 yard pattern though.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Pattern/barrel problem

Post by Reloader »

I think that's more of a load issue than bbl issue. Have you shot a lead turkey load up close to check?
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Reloader wrote:I think that's more of a load issue than bbl issue. Have you shot a lead turkey load up close to check?
Those are my thoughts as well and I suggested he try some other turkey loads at that range.
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

A friend had a 1187 with same problem. He called them, told them the problem and the guy looked it up on the computer and said you still live at this address and they sent him a new barrel in about five days.
Timmypo1

Pattern/barrel problem

Post by Timmypo1 »

I'm going to send it back in a week or so. I still have a week of the season left in PA. I might take a new hunter out and let him use it. I shot a few other loads out of it that do similar things. All show high left flyers. I shot it today with the same load at 15 yards and have a group of about 50 that are high left. I'm thinking that there are about 25 shot that aren't even on the paper in the original pic.

I'm not the original owner, so they won't just send me the barrel. They want me to send it in so they can see that it is indeed a factory defect. My concern is that they don't currently make a 3" rifle sighted camo smooth bore. Curious to see how they resolve it...

Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Did you try a different choke?
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Spurcollecta wrote:Did you try a different choke?
That would be my suggestion as well, manufacturer probably going to ask same thing - factory choke or aftermarket choke. If you get those flyers with a different choke, then contact them.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Timmypo1

Pattern/barrel problem

Post by Timmypo1 »

I tried 6 different chokes at 40 yards. This is the one that did the best, so it's the one I'll hunt with. My opinion is that if the one that patterns best has 50 pellet's high left of a 36" sheet of paper, I can do better. Like johndoe said, obviously it's bothering me.

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Don't tell them you are not original owner. Just call them and send it back. When they see it they will make it right

What's up with that
Spurcollecta

Post by Spurcollecta »

Timmypo1 wrote:
I tried 6 different chokes at 40 yards. This is the one that did the best, so it's the one I'll hunt with. My opinion is that if the one that patterns best has 50 pellet's high left of a 36" sheet of paper, I can do better. Like johndoe said, obviously it's bothering me.

So you tried all 6 at close range and they all had the flyers in the same area as the choke that shot the best 40yd pattern? Dang..
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Timmypo1 wrote:
I tried 6 different chokes at 40 yards. This is the one that did the best, so it's the one I'll hunt with.
All chokes had the same flyers, same high left? Or did the one with the best 40 yd pattern have the flyers?
watchemflop

Post by watchemflop »

Shoot buddy I think you're splitting hairs. I wouldn't hesitate in hunting with that gun/pattern.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

watchemflop wrote:Shoot buddy I think you're splitting hairs. I wouldn't hesitate in hunting with that gun/pattern.

Might be splitting hairs on a killing pattern BUT those flyers could easily take out a not-target bird and I don't want that to happen if I can help it. Not acceptable IMO.
Timmypo1

Pattern/barrel problem

Post by Timmypo1 »

I absolutely agree that it's fine pattern for hunting out past 60 yards. I just don't like the idea that almost 10% of my pellets are in a completely separate group, 3 feet away from my other group at 40 yards. Probably just being anal/picky, but that's kind of why I'm loading TSS in the first place. I'm also a little nervous that the barrel defect might be a safety issue too. I'll let Remington decide.

Return to “Gun Talk”