leopold delta point

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
outlaw

leopold delta point

Post by outlaw »

i was wondering if anyone has any ideas about their site was thinking aboutg etting one for my gun is it better or same as a eotech
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: leopold delta point

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I don't know much about them. They appear similar to the Burris FastFires, though. They might be discontinued...

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mountin ... 54497.aspx
d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

outlaw wrote:i was wondering if anyone has any ideas about their site was thinking aboutg etting one for my gun is it better or same as a eotech

Leopold delta point has a brand new edition out, If you purchase one be sure to get the newest edition, also Leopold delta point has a 2 year warranty, If I am right it was about 400 dollars. Battery life is 900 hours

If I were you I would look at the Fastfire 3, as of jan 1, 2014 it has a lifetime warranty, for about 1/2 the cost of a Leopold delta point. I know from personal experience that the Burris Customer Service is super. Fastfire Battery life is 10,000 hours and I believe it has a low battery light.

I don't know anything about an eotech except it is a high dollar red dot. don't know about battery life for eotech.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Never heard of a company called Leopold - maybe you mean Leupold?
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

An eotech is not a red dot. It is a holographic sight. You don't need to center the reticle in the center of the glass for precise sighting... whereever you see the reticle, that's where the shot is going. They advertise 500 hours battery life for the 552. They're battle-tested by the US military.

The only cons I can see is that they are heavier/bulkier (but rugged), and they're expensive.
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

well i s a delta point a holografic sight
gobblegobblegobble

outlaw wrote:well i s a delta point a holografic sight
No, it's a reflex sight.

Here's a good read on the differences between the different types of optics.

Understanding E-Sights
honker22

Post by honker22 »

I have an eotech 512 and love it. No clue on the other sights other than heresay. I figured if it was good enough for our military, then it was good enough for me
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

I just want to know if i got to keep it perfectly centered in the glass to hit something right
d.winsor

Post by d.winsor »

I don't think you have to keep the fastfire 3 perfectly centered, it is parallax free from 10 to 150 yards, I am going to pattern my SX3 and sight in around june 27th. I'll let you know.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

You do not have to center the red dot on any red dot sight.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Hognutz wrote:You do not have to center the red dot on any red dot sight.
Thats why i love my Aimpoint 9000.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

devastator wrote:
Hognutz wrote:You do not have to center the red dot on any red dot sight.
Thats why i love my Aimpoint 9000.
Roger that!!! :salute:
gobblegobblegobble

You do "need" to center the dot if it is not "parallax free." The higher-end sights have much less parallax than the cheaper models, in general.

Now, I wouldn't worry about it as we're shooting shotguns here. Even if you have 1" dot movement on the target, you're going to kill the turkey.

If you plan on re-using the dot sight on a rifle someday, though, you might want to take a closer look at the parallax issues of the dot sight you're researching.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

How do you "center" a red dot if there is nothing to use for reference? Show me, in writing, where the scope instructions tell you to center the red dot in the scope. I have 3 Aimpoints, A Bushnell Holo sight, and a cheap Ultra Dot. None require "Centering" the dot. I just mounted a FF lll for my buddy, and it was the same way.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Hognutz wrote:How do you "center" a red dot if there is nothing to use for reference? Show me, in writing, where the scope instructions tell you to center the red dot in the scope. I have 3 Aimpoints, A Bushnell Holo sight, and a cheap Ultra Dot. None require "Centering" the dot. I just mounted a FF lll for my buddy, and it was the same way.
It requires a very tiny ruler. ;)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
Hognutz wrote:How do you "center" a red dot if there is nothing to use for reference? Show me, in writing, where the scope instructions tell you to center the red dot in the scope. I have 3 Aimpoints, A Bushnell Holo sight, and a cheap Ultra Dot. None require "Centering" the dot. I just mounted a FF lll for my buddy, and it was the same way.
It requires a very tiny ruler. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
gobblegobblegobble

Again, it won't make much difference at shorter ranges and with weapons like shotguns. But parallax is real for all red dots in different degrees. Some differences are negligible. Some aren't. I'm just saying, for best and consistent results, don't look through the sight at a 30 degree angle if you can help it. Your eye should naturally center it anyways, as anyone who has ever shot a peep sight would know.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm
http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/2005/1 ... sight.html
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

gobblegobblegobble wrote:Again, it won't make much difference at shorter ranges and with weapons like shotguns. But parallax is real for all red dots in different degrees. Some differences are negligible. Some aren't. I'm just saying, for best and consistent results, don't look through the sight at a 30 degree angle if you can help it. Your eye should naturally center it anyways, as anyone who has ever shot a peep sight would know.

I understand that parallax is a real deal. I guess that a guy would have to be an out right idiot to try and sight in a red dot with it anywhere but close to center. It is a natural thing for any shooter to do. i.e. the peep sight.
In most instances, a red dot is not a favorable sight for long range single projectiles because of its size. A 2 moa dot will cover a 2" spot on a target at 100 yards. Kinda covers the bulls eye. 4'' moa will cover a saucer.
My point about this is if your red dot needs to be dead center in the field of view to be accurate, take it off and put in on your kids airsoft gun. The recoil of a turkey load will probably wreck it before the batteries wear out. The sight on a gun is the link between shooting and hitting. Why take a chance with something less than mediocre.
Too many people buy the best gun they can afford and then buy a scope with what money is left. Buy the best scope you can afford, and then go buy a gun to put it on.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:The sight on a gun is the link between shooting and hitting.
Whoa whoa whoa Not so fast partner, the human element is very important and I can testify to the negative link between shooting and hitting. :lol:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Hognutz wrote:The sight on a gun is the link between shooting and hitting.
Whoa whoa whoa Not so fast partner, the human element is very important and I can testify to the negative link between shooting and hitting. :lol:
I prefer not to go there!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
gobblegobblegobble

Hognutz wrote:
gobblegobblegobble wrote:Again, it won't make much difference at shorter ranges and with weapons like shotguns. But parallax is real for all red dots in different degrees. Some differences are negligible. Some aren't. I'm just saying, for best and consistent results, don't look through the sight at a 30 degree angle if you can help it. Your eye should naturally center it anyways, as anyone who has ever shot a peep sight would know.

I understand that parallax is a real deal. I guess that a guy would have to be an out right idiot to try and sight in a red dot with it anywhere but close to center. It is a natural thing for any shooter to do. i.e. the peep sight.
In most instances, a red dot is not a favorable sight for long range single projectiles because of its size. A 2 moa dot will cover a 2" spot on a target at 100 yards. Kinda covers the bulls eye. 4'' moa will cover a saucer.
My point about this is if your red dot needs to be dead center in the field of view to be accurate, take it off and put in on your kids airsoft gun. The recoil of a turkey load will probably wreck it before the batteries wear out. The sight on a gun is the link between shooting and hitting. Why take a chance with something less than mediocre.
Too many people buy the best gun they can afford and then buy a scope with what money is left. Buy the best scope you can afford, and then go buy a gun to put it on.
I agree. I treated myself to a "new" deer rifle... a 1964-ish Sako Finnbear L64 last year and topped it off with a Swarovski, just for that reason. I'd rather have one great gun than a safe full of mediocre... which unfortunately I have. :D

I think the parallax is something to consider though, if you're buying more budget-priced optics. I'd have no qualms about shooting left handed, canted and all contorted with my Eotech because I know POA is going to be very close to POI, and... again... it's a shotgun. If I put a < $100 dot on the gun, I'd probably want to bolt it down and see just how much that dot moves between having it centered and peeking over the edge of the optic so I can just barely see it. If it moves 4" or so, I might want to look at another sight.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I love stories with happy endings..Nice deer hunting rig!! :salute:
gobblegobblegobble

Well, you know, I'm getting to the age where I start thinking about my mortality. I have plenty of synthetic/stainless guns in my safe. I wanted to start picking up guns that my kids will fight over after I'm gone, LOL
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

I have an Aimpoint 9000,and 2 Leupold Gilmores that i have tried on the bench,and they were all good to go on where ever the eye,or the dot was. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”