2013 spurs

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2013 spurs

Post by pedro »

Here are my spurs from this season. My first try at cleaning and making spurs for the wall.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (151.87 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
wiltznucs

Re: 2013 spurs

Post by wiltznucs »

Turned out great...
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

Nice Pedro!! I have found that the quicker you get on them after the kill, the less trouble you will have with the Spur shell/sheath coming off the actual Bone unless you just removed them on your own? Like you, the ones I have saved of mine, I just make a simple design and add to my necklace but if someone wants something special I'll try that also like the ones here in the single pics...All of my Daughters friends have a spur necklace from me it seems lol...She told me I could be selling them but that's illegal here in NC. It really is addictive to craft such items to have as memories Like my Single Spur necklace that I shot on my Late Mothers Birthday...Had 2 Beards but had broke his other spur off...This 1 is a tad over 1.5....Keep us posted with the end result.
Attachments
006.JPG
006.JPG (142.4 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Heart Necklace.jpg
Heart Necklace.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
chevy bowtie.jpg
chevy bowtie.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Nice work!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Very Nice Ya'll. :thumbup:
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

Looks good.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Looks like you had a good season ! Nice Work ! :thumbup:

vaturkey :struttin:
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

I want the heart spur, OMG.................I need this.........if I send you a spur will you do it or will you tell me how to do it ?
Love them allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll they look great
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

HuntnMa wrote:I want the heart spur, OMG.................I need this.........if I send you a spur will you do it or will you tell me how to do it ?
Love them allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll they look great
Uh?? Are you OK? LOL But what if you was on another 1 of your Bucket list excursions and go to cough up...Oh lets say...A Burrito and it (The Spur...Not the Burrito) sticks you in your Jugular vein and you miss what ever it is you are seeking? BAHAHAHAHA.....I would be happy to do ya 1 anytime, Just need a fresh Spur and leave me enough Bone to work with..It's really Not hard to do actually, Just picture it and do it lol .That 1 there is actually Tomgurl's that I made for her since she LOVES!!! Turkey hunting lol. There's not another 1 around like it that I have seen...I learned quickly that you have to be careful wearing such items when I dove for a football and mine got me. Btw...Never seen you euro Turkey head yet??? LOL.
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

I would rather choke on a spur than to go out any other way, lol..........I have the ones from this year, not my longest ,I'll send ya my Bullcreek bird but it would make it that more special ....please please please do it for me, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
BrentM

2013 spurs

Post by BrentM »

Pedro is there any way you could describe the process you used to get them looking that way........ I have legs piled up in my garage from the past 5 or 6 years I've been putting off doing something with.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

BrentM wrote:Pedro is there any way you could describe the process you used to get them looking that way........ I have legs piled up in my garage from the past 5 or 6 years I've been putting off doing something with.
These were fresh. Spurs were removed from leg within a few days after harvest by going around the base if spur with razor. Using a piece of rubber around the spur and a pair of adjustable pliers you can twist the spur cap off very easily. The ones you have that are dried wont come off like that. I cut them on a band saw and removed all the skin, flesh, tendons, and marrow. Boiled them in soap water for an hour, cleaned again. Soaked in ammonia for two weeks, then rinse put in peroxide for six to eight hours, take out if peroxide and sit in sun for a day. Super glue spur caps.

The dries ones you have will need to be cut to length, fleshed & cleaned, then boil with soap water. After 15 min start checking caps and try to remove spur cap. After caps are removed, boil as to desired cleanliness. Then continue as described.

I am sure there are many other ways for this to be done. I searched the net and found these two methods. I do like the way every thing is clean under the cap. The cutting and cleaning and one hour of boiling of fives sets took less than two hours. Then it is just a matter of letting the chemicals do their job.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”