Yildiz vs. Savage 220B .410 shoot-out (sorta...)

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I purchased a second Yildiz .410 and took delivery of a Savage 220B .410 this weekend. I had an opportunity to shoot each at 40 yards this morning with TSS 9’s, 13/16 oz. While one shot is not a statistical certainty, it gave me a good idea of what lies in store for both down the road. My first Yildiz .410 has a 4 shot average of 101 inside the 10” ring with a high of 110 and a low of 88. I was expecting the same from the newer Yildiz.
I weighed each new gun. Not surprising, Yildiz #2 weighed in at 3 lbs, 3.1 oz. with its 28” factory full barrel and alloy receiver. A mere wisp of gun, but proven deadly in the field this past season with my first Yildiz. For a gun costing $139 with sales tax included, the Yildiz also has remarkably nice walnut with hand cut checkering. I was in Athens, Ga., yesterday for daughter’s graduation and I bought myself a graduation present at Academy Sports. As for the Savage, the wood was plain, no checkering. Surprisingly, it weighed a whopping 5 lbs., 13 oz. with its 26” barrel. My 20 gauge 220A weighs a flat 5 lbs. After studying the gun, the weight is a factor of the gun being built on a larger gauge’s gun frame and an overbuilt barrel. In order to center the firing pin in the firing chamber, the wall thickness of the chamber is a stout .365” compared with the Yildiz’s .18”. The Yildiz shot a disappointing 74 in the 10” ring and 78 in the 10-20” ring. This is low-borderline in my estimation for a 40 yard turkey gun. A trip to Mr. Lambert at Sumtoy is probably in order for a sleeved choke. The Savage with its 26” full did a respectable 110/106. I’ll leave it as is and mount a red dot. With a full bead showing above the receiver’s slotted sight, it shot a foot high at 20 yards. I had to aim at the bottom of the paper to pattern it a 40 yards. A red dot is in order for it.
Despite the lower 10” ring numbers, I think the design, wood quality, and uber-lightness of the Yildiz wins in the cool factor category. I carried Yildiz #1 most of this past season, and tricked-out with red dot and sling, it’s 3 lbs., 9 oz. was a pleasure to carry. I think William can improve the numbers on Yildiz #2. Stay tuned.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Yildiz vs. Savage 220B .410 shoot-out (sorta...)

Post by pedro »

:thumbleft: :thumbright:
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Pushing the envelope, you boys are. Very cool.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

have that Savage fluted and drop a lb of steel!

looks good. I aim to be shooting my dads RedLabel 28 next spring. gotta get my order in for tss soon
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

hoobilly wrote:have that Savage fluted and drop a lb of steel!

looks good. I aim to be shooting my dads RedLabel 28 next spring. gotta get my order in for tss soon
That's an idea, but at 5 lbs., 13 oz., it's still "light", but tubby in comparison with the Yildiz, but then so is a 1911A pistol with a loaded magazine. ;). Bet I could hollow the stock without much difficulty with a Forstner bit. Better just leave light enough alone. ;) Gil
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

Gil I have the same Yildiz .410 and actually had it camo-dipped while I was getting another gun dipped. I never got a chance to hunt with it because the little gun shoots so bad low and to the left I couldn't hardly even get shot on paper at 35 yards.
It was too close to turkey season to worry about getting a red dot for it when I started shooting it. Maybe next year.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Brent, I'd love to see photos of your camo'd mere wisp of a gun. The little gun continues to amaze me.
Gil
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Have you guys ever heard of a Noble auto 410??? Dude brought it out for me to repair. Looked like a piece of crap to me, but it is light and shoulders well.
Picked up a few 2 1/2" #6s Fed Hi-power shells to run through it and see if it cycled.
A squirrel was in Granny's flowers and jumped out and ran about 35yds. I fired, and it was like nothing ever came out. He did run off pretty quick though. I must have not fixed it either, cause it didn't cycle.
I think the 20 is as small as I'm gonna go with,...lol
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369277741.573889.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369277741.573889.jpg (154.5 KiB) Viewed 5725 times
Sorry that took me so long Gil. I knew I had been forgetting something the past couple days.
I had this little gun and my 20 gauge dipped before turkey season started this year.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Brent, don't you love the weight of that little gun? It looks fabulous. Who did it? I had trigger work done on mine to ease the pull and eliminate creep. I bought one for a friend and the trigger was perfect out of the box. How is your trigger? Gil
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Shooter wrote:Have you guys ever heard of a Noble auto 410??? Dude brought it out for me to repair. Looked like a piece of crap to me, but it is light and shoulders well.
Picked up a few 2 1/2" #6s Fed Hi-power shells to run through it and see if it cycled.
A squirrel was in Granny's flowers and jumped out and ran about 35yds. I fired, and it was like nothing ever came out. He did run off pretty quick though. I must have not fixed it either, cause it didn't cycle.
I think the 20 is as small as I'm gonna go with,...lol
I have never laid eyes on one firsthand, only saw pictures and values in the gun digest.

Would love to see one and handle it.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

Gil it was done by dip2design in Guntersville, AL. He did a great job on it and it only took him a few days. The pattern is mothwing woodland mimicry.
The trigger is horrible on mine by the way, not a bunch of creep but it feels like it breaks at about 8-9 lbs. I'm gonna have to get it worked before I start hunting with it.
I'm very interested in hearing about this sleeve choke William is making.
Here is a pic of the little .410 with my 870 compact. Dip2Design did both of them for me at the same time.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369365654.895253.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369365654.895253.jpg (129.51 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Those are some great looking pop guns. Amazing that TSS has turned those into legitimate 40 yd turkey slayers. Very cool.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup: cool !!!
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Tommy, can't say that I have seen or heard of the Noble. But then I don't get out that much.... ;) Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Gil - HomelessjOe will be proud of you! :)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:Gil - HomelessjOe will be proud of you! :)
My life's work is done. ;)
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

Brent those look good. Is that camo a lighter brown base or more grey?

I cant tell really from the picture.

Return to “Small Bore”