My Kansas 6 day hunt

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

My Kansas 6 day hunt

Post by Jaybird »

Ended on the third day. Pulled into my Public kill zone at 4pm, and shot a 2 year old around 6:15pm. As I was driving down the road, noticed 3 feeding Gobblers on the Public, pulled into my access, grabbed gun and calls, and off I went. Ended up getting ahead of them, but never got a good shot. However, called in a 2 year old from the other direction, and sealed the deal after doing the leaf rake with the hand to get him to commit to gun range. Next day was bad weather, but saw birds and made a decision where to set up the following day. Saturday was a beautiful day and setting up at the strut field, I had a whole day of watching massive breeding/strutting at 3 different locations, but not in gun range of me. Obviously they weren't coming to call, being they had no need to. Wasn't too worried, since I knew I was on the back to roost travel path, and planned on catching them later when I was the only show left. Actually worked out 100% as planned, but I almost blew it.
ImageImageImage
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: My Kansas 6 day hunt

Post by pullit »

good deal, congrats on your birds
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Jaybird wrote:Ended on the third day. Pulled into my Public kill zone at 4pm, and shot a 2 year old around 6:15pm. As I was driving down the road, noticed 3 feeding Gobblers on the Public, pulled into my access, grabbed gun and calls, and off I went. Ended up getting ahead of them, but never got a good shot. However, called in a 2 year old from the other direction, and sealed the deal after doing the leaf rake with the hand to get him to commit to gun range. Next day was bad weather, but saw birds and made a decision where to set up the following day. Saturday was a beautiful day and setting up at the strut field, I had a whole day of watching massive breeding/strutting at 3 different locations, but not in gun range of me. Obviously they weren't coming to call, being they had no need to. Wasn't too worried, since I knew I was on the back to roost travel path, and planned on catching them later when I was the only show left. Actually worked out 100% as planned, but I almost blew it.
As I watch the big group wander towards roost across a field about 175 yards away including 4-6 Gobblers with one Super Tom, I thought they had went into the woods when they disappeared behind a knoll, but they hadn't. They were traveling parralel to me at about 120 yards away unseen. So. I had turned my gobbler lounge away , and I'm facing the opposite direction, where I had seen 3 Gobblers going back to roost the night before. I had my hen decoy still in the strut field, and I was still calling. 15 minutes later I feel something is behind me, and I slowly turn my head, and out of the corner of my eye I see the whole group out past my Deke, looking my way with 2 Gobblers coming in. I slowly slide off my lounger, and use the back as a screen to cover my movement as I bring the gun up over the top. One Gobbler has wandered back to the pack, but the other is directly behind my Deke, giving me very little room for a shot without blowing my expensive Deke away. Took the shot trying to use the bottom of my spread aiming high. Bird jumps and runs 5 yards standing there like he's punch drunk trying not to fall. 2nd shot finished the deal. Real nice Tom with sharp 1 1/4" hooks. over 10"beard, and weighing 21# 9 oz.
ImageImageImage
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Hells yeah!!! :thumbup:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Way to go, Jay!! I enjoyed talking to you during/after your hunt..Well done, ol' Buddy...Well done..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Congrats on a great hunt!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

By the way this wasn't the big guy, just a subordinate. Funny thing about the breeding set up was, the very large Tom let subordinates breed birds at times when he rested. They would all (6 Gobblers) stand there fanned out, and the Patron would do most the breeding, but not always. Don't know if I've ever seen that before. The big Tom had the largest fan I've ever seen, and he looked like one in the close to 30 pound range. You weren't going to call him in, and ambush on a route was your only chance, like going back to roost. They roosted on Private, but thankfully did a lot of their breeding on Public.
This was my set up under a fallen tree, and the large field is where the breeding took place.
This is the other direction I had turned to face, and I had one Tom setting up strutting in the field you can see thru the trees. I had 3 Toms cross directly in front of those trees the night before going to roost. Also had the 16 Jake-pack come flying around those trees to come into me the day before, where I was set up in a different location.
:mrgreen: Needless to say there sure isn't a lack of birds to shoot in that area.
ImageImageImage
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

wooohooooooooooooo

Return to “Huntin Tales”