Hoobilly WaffleHouse Tour 2013

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hoobilly WaffleHouse Tour 2013

Post by Hoobilly »

Took 2 nephews with me to KY for the opener.

Left here Thursday mid morning and headed south a flying!
Stopped in Dry Ridge Ky to eat at WaffleHouse, buy tags at Walmart and grab a hot latte from Java Joe's.
Made it to Magoffin County and headed to my friend Crow's house to get settled in.
Rode 4Wheelers all over the mountains for 3 hours, found a nice deer shed on my dads property. BONUS!

my good friend TJ adjusted the trigger on my Remington .222 and then we took our guns to his shooting range and sighted it in, and made sure the turkey guns were ready. he is very impressed with the Federal HW 7's and the patterns the Indian Creek 562's threw.

TJ took my nephew Mitchell, I took Jacob. two 14 year old knuckleheads. lol

6:30am heard the first gobble. walked about 200 yards and I knew this gobbler was liking the sound of the call. Set my nephew in front of me and he watched this strutter at 25 yards strut and poke his head up looking for the hen. He never shot it, and before I realized it(slight breeze and my hearing sucks), he was looking at me and starting running down past me. I tried to get the gun up and on him. he flew off. I was puzzled why he didnt shoot..

He said he seen him coming,and it was coming to him, but when I called it changed direction and came to me. I was 20 yards behind him. :dontknow:

so...slow walking and talking with the mouth calls, we went a 1/2 mile to the west on the ridges and got to where 3 ridges intersect. Wind dropped for a second and I called and heard a faint gobble. yelped and caught the tail end of a gobble. this is a miracle to me. I told my nephew and he thought I was hearing things. Walked 300 yards, kicked up a deer just over the ridge on the first flat, I showed my nephew Kob and told he we gotta keep moving. Thankfully the whitetail did not blow on us. Would not have turned out the way it did..
went 75+ yards and theres a deep saddle on the ridge, I whispered to Kob to walk up in front of me and listen. He walked all the way and could look down the saddle, I tried my best to stop him. he didnt hear me and I went ahead and yelped with cuts. GOBBBBBBBBBLE and close!

He about fell down, wheeled around and with eyes big as saucers pointed and ran to me. I pointed to a tree and he went to it, I ran 10 yards and got sit down and gun up and Kob came to me saying he couldnt sit there, I pointed behind me, had no more time. I looked and before Kob could sit down I see whitehead coming from side of mountain onto the flat, with 2 others in tow. FF sight on, safety off, gun up and I see ol whitehead looking at us. Snood comes up and I hear what could have been a cluck. Without hesitating, squeezed the trigger on the SPST 20 and the HW7's were on course. I jumped up, looked at Kob, he had set down in plain sight, no tree to cover his silhouette. Thats why the gig was up and he clucked. I had him get in front of me to try and get a shot on one of the other 2, well when he looked, gun wasnt on shoulder and when he tried, they flew the coup.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hoobilly WaffleHouse Tour 2013

Post by Hoobilly »

so, took pictures, explained to him what happened, and that we would get on more turkeys. He was a lil frazzled.

we loaded up the Dixon #238 vest with my gobbler, and headed back to the 4wheeler. He wanted to talk load and go over the events so far that morning. I told him to shush, talk soft as we aint done till we are at the Yammie4x4.

I called every 50-to 100 yards and waited a bit. When we were about 150 yards from where we had parked, I hit the WarBird BoneYard Ridge one last time and had 3 toms sound off within 80 yards. I about fell down, let alone Kob who instantly turned to jelly.
I point to a tree that was decent for cover and would give him a great view. Well, they gobbled 3 more times and was on top of us in nothing flat. I heard them coming, putt and take off running.

I asked Kob why he didnt shoot. He seen them to his right, and wasnt ready. He thought they may come down the path on the ridge..grrrrr did I say he was a slow learner?

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

onto Sunday morning..
ge up, ride the 4wheeler and I got cold. It was chilly. Got to my dads farm, rode up to the top, listening for the first gobbles of the morning and really close to 6:30 am we hear a light, faint gobble way down in the holler. too far for me..lets walk on down to the 4 ridge knob and listen. Heard 5 different toms sounding off and Kob heard what sounded like 3 to the southeast of the knob we are on. I listen and think thats about the best bet and we head down the ridge 200 yards. Standing there I hit the WoodHaven CCC and a few seconds later they all 3 gobble back. Good dill pickle. I want a minute, they gobble, I call and they gobble right back. ok, let set a while as the ridge they are on is not our land. Lets see if we can get them to come clear over to use. I can tell they flew down as the gobbles changed tune. A dog barking behind and no gobbles for 5 minutes. I call, gobble. Cannot tell where they are headed. Sounds like they are going separate ways?

Then they gobble and they sound like they are on the mountain they slept on and walking to the west. Well, they gobble again after I called with the BoneYard Ridge and I am thinking they are now in the huge wide bottom and heading our way. Kob thinks they are in the mountain away from us... They then gobble and man it echo's up into our hollar on the right side of the ridge were sitting on. I looked at him and tell him to get ready. mouth called and they are closer! One more time and I said get ready, safety off, Benelli M2 is up and I am looking for the turkeys. I hear them coming up the flat and see 2. I tell him there they are and he gets up on his knee's to see. I push him back down and tell him to get gun up..as I am looking at the 2 coming up flat, I catch out of my peripheral a big ol whitehead and hear him putt, I swing the barrel over slightly and touch the trigger. I am feeling for him, but aint feeling sorry for killing my #2. I told him to be ready..

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I had my nephew on 6 different sets and he couldnt get it done. I think he needs to kill a few more flatland gobblers before going back down to KY and hunt them mystic hills. He was bummed to come home without a tom, and his cousin kilt a jake. But all in all, the experience won't be forgotten. Hope he remembers and will be ready next time.

Heres my nephew Mitchells Jake. When my friend TJ (TurkeyJoe) took him and told him to load the Beretta, he loaded one shell. TJ told him to load the other 2 shells. Mitch looked at him and said: "whats the point? when you shoot, if you miss they fly off"
TJ laughed and tolt him that he was gonna walk another mile for that remark.
Last edited by Hoobilly on April 18th, 2013, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

That's what I'm talking about !!!! AWESOME
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well Brice,... At least you had a good time, and had plenty of turkeys to play with.
Kob has to start somewhere, and at least he got to see some good examples of what to do,... as long as some of it sank in,...lol
Sounds like some great hunts you had,....Congrats!!
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Waffle house and turkeys, does it get any better, congrats
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

thanks everybody. It sure ranks up there as one of my favorite trips in recent years down there.

Shooter, I shot that .222 at 350 yards and hit a 8" wide by 16" tall plate with a crosswind. Had to hold high and to the right of th etarget to hit it.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Sounds like it must be doing pretty good then, 350yds is a lot of turf for a duece.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Shooter wrote:Sounds like it must be doing pretty good then, 350yds is a lot of turf for a duece.
when we took turns shooting it, you could see the vapor trail.

I have yet to shoot the Hornady bullets. But the Remington & S&B shells grouped over a 1"

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Great post! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

hoobilly wrote:
Shooter wrote:Sounds like it must be doing pretty good then, 350yds is a lot of turf for a duece.

I have yet to shoot the Hornady bullets. But the Remington & S&B shells grouped over a 1"
If you're talkin over an inch at 350, thats pretty dang good, but if you're talking a hundred, thats only fair. Dueces usually are inherently accurate. Half inch at hundred is not uncommon for factory rifles. Load work up time!!,....lol
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Shooter wrote:
hoobilly wrote:

If you're talkin over an inch at 350, thats pretty dang good, but if you're talking a hundred, thats only fair. Dueces usually are inherently accurate. Half inch at hundred is not uncommon for factory rifles. Load work up time!!,....lol
I wish at 350!

my buddy TJ said I needed handloads for it lol

I told him I knew someone who was good at hand loads. :D

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

That was a great story from 2013.
Mike
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ncturkey wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:07 am That was a great story from 2013.
That’s going back a few years!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ncturkey wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:07 am That was a great story from 2013.
Wish I had copies of all the stories I posted on the defunct nwtf forum from back in the day..

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I have mine saved in Google docs.
Mike

Return to “Huntin Tales”