Burris Fast Fires.....

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Burris Fast Fires.....

Post by Reloader »

I run 3 FFs and it seems that nearly every year I have to rezero them. They are usually close as in just a few inches off, but with tight turkey loads that can be a big problem. They are a PITA to sight in as well. For example, I shot my 870 Friday with the same recipe I've used for years, 1st shot was 4" left, moved it right(watched the dot while I had it in a rest to center the dot in the pattern), shot again and it was still 3" left, moved it again and it went too far right, moved again and it was dead on. Moved on to a few more guns, then grabbed the 870 again to make sure and the damn thing was off to the right again. I moved it a bit and it was dead on the next shot. Shot it a few more times and it was fine, but damn, it gets agravating for sure. Not to mention expensive! Talked to my buddy Pullit and he had the same story, he's about ready to sell all four of his. I love these sights, but I'm losing a bit of confidence. May try the Leupold or maybe the Trijicon.

loder
YellaJacket

Re: Burris Fast Fires.....

Post by YellaJacket »

Had the same issue on one a couple years ago. Haven't used one since. Not sure if the 3 eliminated some trouble.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

this a problem with the FFII's?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

this a problem with the FFII's?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I used mine for the first time this Saturday. It took 8 rounds of dove load at 10 yrds to get it right on. Then at 30 it was just slightly left. I adjusted and am impressed with the site and my rhino choke on my 870 20 ga.

But I will shoot it again this weekend because you got me scared. Now I will have to verify it again.
Thanks for the heads up. Oh I have the FF3.
gobblerD.
swampbird

Burris Fast Fires.....

Post by swampbird »

Please chime in some more ...

I'm getting ready to buy one and I want to make sure I'm buying the right one
Gobbler Getter

Hebrews 12:11

NBK pro staff
Mossy Oak field staff
Cont520

Burris Fast Fires.....

Post by Cont520 »

I have the ff2 on my sons 20 gauge just zeroed it today I really hope this sight don't screw up
Double beard guide service LLC
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

Got FFIII here and haven't seen any drift yet...
Fl panhandler

Post by Fl panhandler »

After two years the battery in my FFII has died. I got a new battery today and am resighting this weekend. I have not experienced any sight drift at all and I am hard on my guns. This sight has been bullet proof for me. I like it so much I picked another up to put on an 870 12 ga. I have one on a Rem. 20 870 now. Good luck with your sights.

Rick
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I am very happy with the FF111 I have. Like I said It is right on. But I'll double check it.
Cont520

Burris Fast Fires.....

Post by Cont520 »

Yeah I am double checking this one tomorrow.....
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I replace my batteries every year so I have to resight as well, but I have never had to do more than just fine tune. I would contact Burris and see what they say. Good luck! ...oh and tell Pullit he needs to visit sometime.

Tim
Cont520

Burris Fast Fires.....

Post by Cont520 »

Gobbler what's the price difference in the ff2&3
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Checked zero on the FF III on my Beretta O/U yesterday. It was 4.5" right and 2.5" high, but I was not surprised since it rides on a B-Square rib mount that I had removed for grouse season. POI was bound to change removing and replacing the rib mount, so that can not be blamed on the FF III. Now you guys have me worried about the FF II on my 1187. It was on at the end of last season, and hasn't left the gun safe since then. But I guess I better check it anyway.
Last edited by Spuriosity on March 5th, 2013, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

That drove me nuts about the fastfire. It is an awesome little sight, but I was always worried about it being knocked off. It was a pain to sight in as well. My buddies blew thru a pound of TSS getting theirs just right.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

el diablo wrote:That drove me nuts about the fastfire. It is an awesome little sight, but I was always worried about it being knocked off. It was a pain to sight in as well. My buddies blew thru a pound of TSS getting theirs just right.
A little off topic, but why would your buddies use TSS to sight in any sight? I use cheap bird shot at 15 yards to get it on and then its usually on at 40. I have maybe had to tweak it a little at 40, but I want my sight shooting dead on at 20 cause that's where my pattern is the tightest. At 40 I have a little more wiggle room.

I always shoot mine before the season to check however.

Tim
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

gophert wrote:
el diablo wrote:That drove me nuts about the fastfire. It is an awesome little sight, but I was always worried about it being knocked off. It was a pain to sight in as well. My buddies blew thru a pound of TSS getting theirs just right.
A little off topic, but why would your buddies use TSS to sight in any sight? I use cheap bird shot at 15 yards to get it on and then its usually on at 40. I have maybe had to tweak it a little at 40, but I want my sight shooting dead on at 20 cause that's where my pattern is the tightest. At 40 I have a little more wiggle room.

Tim
They did use cheap lead loads first. They had trouble with the fine tuning with the TSS. They sighted in two FF's and it took them 11 TSS 1 5/8 20 gauge shells between them to get them right. I think when they tightened down the locking screws it moved the sight a little bit and moved to 40 yards to soon. I am sure there may have been some operator error involved. I wasn't there with them, they just called and told me it was a headache. It took my brother two shots of the good stuff with his 835 to be dead on. One at twenty then one at forty.
Last edited by el diablo on March 5th, 2013, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

el diablo wrote:
gophert wrote:

Tim
They did use cheap lead loads first. They had trouble with the fine tuning with the TSS. They sighted in two FF's and it took them 11 TSS 1 5/8 20 gauge shells between them to get them right. I think when they tighted down the locking screws it moved the sight a little bit. It was a headache for them.
Ouch!!!!!
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I had one take me 9 handloads once at 40 to get fine tuned. That particular sight is a bit diff than my other two as it moves the dot on an angle, so you can imagine the headache. I learned a while back to always reset the locks each time I move it just so it doesn't move when I lock it down.

BTW, I have two IIs and one I FWIW. I have no idea if the 3 is any better. If it is, I may sell these and upgrade.

I intend to check my two main guns one last time this weekend to make sure they are still holding. I could see the bbl movement being an issue if not tight, but I tighten my mag caps very tight(couple clicks past hand tight).

My Cousin is running handloads and a FFII on his 870 and he's having the same problem, his is several inches off from when we initially zeroed. Sort of makes me wonder if switching from the old 1.5-4.5x20 Monarch was the best idea. I do love the weight of these little sights and absolutely love the ease of the no parallax dot. I guess the good thing is I've never had them move enough to miss a bird, but the cores are definitely off center at times.
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Never had this problem with mine, usually before the season I just run a couple cheap loads through it to get it right then recheck with my hunting loads.
misfire

Post by misfire »

Put my FF on three years ago, no problems
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

As much money as you guys are going to spend "re-sighting" the FastFires, why not just quit being cheap and buy a Trijicon RMR sight? :scratch: :dontknow: :toothy7:

LINK: RMR-C-700063: RMR Nickel Boron LED Sight - 3.25 MOA Red Dot (Click Here)

"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
FloppinTom

Post by FloppinTom »

12 gauge lazer bore sighter will check you POI. Once you get it dialed in put dot/reticle on target at 40 yards and mark where bore sighter lazer hits on paper. Just hang the target at 40 yards whenever you want to check it. Put lazer dot on where it was hitting before and reticle should be on target. If not something has changed so then adjust sights. Boresighter is cheaper than shells. :thumbup:
Get there early, stay late, sit still and don't use weather as an excuse to stay home.
bird

Post by bird »

I have both the FFII and a FFIII and I have not had any troubles with sighting in or drifting of my sights. Personally I like the II over the III too. I see tht Bushnell also has a red dot sight now similar to the Burris FastFire.

Could the drifting or inconsistency problem actually be a problem with the loads or shells and not the sight?
Odumbass "Liar In Chief"
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

I had the drift issue with the FFII while sighting in. Got rid of it, and went to a TAC30. Changed to a FFIII once they came out.
I see the lock screws being gone a HUGE improvement in the FFIII. I got mine sighted in with 2 shots. I fired 4 rounds of Federal Pre-Flitecontrol 3.5-2-6's down range, and that little sight held perfect zero.
I love my FFIII!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”