Dos and don'ts

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Dos and don'ts

Post by MKW »

RaspyD wrote:Don't take it personally when the turkeys play by their rules.

Oh, but I do take it personally! But, I don't get mad...I get even! :twisted:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

Jaybird wrote::oops: This has cost me 2 Toms last year, and would have been have been 3 years ago, if my son hadn't let me use his gun, after I noticed no choke as we have 4 Gobbling birds coming in. I have a bad habit of cleaning my gun, and forgetting to put the choke back in, or the last time putting in the wrong choke.
The way that you have described it, I am pretty sure you are showing the symptoms of a disorder called CRS Syndrome. Try to remember to check with your doctor about it next time you see her. :shaking:

FC
Central MS
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Jaybird wrote::oops: This has cost me 2 Toms last year, and would have been have been 3 years ago, if my son hadn't let me use his gun, after I noticed no choke as we have 4 Gobbling birds coming in. I have a bad habit of cleaning my gun, and forgetting to put the choke back in, or the last time putting in the wrong choke.
A guy I know keeps his gun in a case. Wont fit with Rhino choke in it. He forgot to put his choke in one morning and had bragged how bad his gun was. "Boom" there goes the turkey. WTF? No choke. "What a Maroon"

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Gobbler wrote:I never use a turkey call unless I'm set up and ready.
I made the mistake of NOT doing this, and it cost me a shot. Never again.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Never get out of your truck and head into the woods in the morning without the important papers.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

hawglips wrote:Never get out of your truck and head into the woods in the morning without the important papers.
I'm like a bird dog. Once out of the truck in the a.m., it's time--never make it to the woods.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Johndoe wrote:
A guy I know keeps his gun in a case. Wont fit with Rhino choke in it. He forgot to put his choke in one morning and had bragged how bad his gun was. "Boom" there goes the turkey. WTF? No choke. "What a Maroon"

John
John, what's bad is last year I miss a real nice Tom twice after he's coming in, but gets spooked by another hunter. I should have noticed the amount of land being sprayed, but too pissed about missing. Next day draw in another big bird, but he hangs up at 60, struts for 10 minutes than heads away thru tall grass. I reset up ahead of him, and he comes out in front of me at 40 yards walking away. Shoot and miss. I head back to my chair, plop down next to my wife, and I'm totally ticked off. As I'm looking at my gun I noticed the choke, and now I'm really steamed. Had to walk back to the truck, take the choke off my pump, and put it on my 1187, being my gunbag was back at camp. Of course I then spook 3 Gobblers as I'm walking back to my truck that were heading towards my wife. You could have fried eggs on my head. Turkey Hunting is suppose to be relaxing. :roll:
ImageImageImage
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

:violent1: Under no circumstances other than emergency do you drive in a field or along a pipeline: the hunt you ruin may not just be your own.... aggressive off road tires save lots of turkeys and mess up many hunts!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Always have a backup fuel cell & spare pads for your Thermacell.

Jim
gobblerchsr

Post by gobblerchsr »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gobblerchsr

Post by gobblerchsr »

Good call JayBird, I let my son borrow my gun for a late season water fowl Hunt one year and rushed out of state on an early season turkey, never thinking he hadn’t put the turkey choke back in the gun. Didn’t take too long for me to figure out why I took 3 shots to kill a bird at 30 yds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

Don't drive from the Arkansas/Oklahoma line to southern New Mexico and remember your turkey vest is laying in your office floor.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
boone5252

Post by boone5252 »

Don't carry your fold up decoy in the back of your vest on a super quiet morning with a gobbling bird nearby and expect him not to hear you pull it out. At least twice this has happened to me and the birds never made another gobble. Birds have super hearing especially when it is dead still in the woods. Now if I want to use a decoy and I'm runnin' and gunnin', I keep it in my hand so I can quickly and quietly push the stake in the ground.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Don't walk up to a draw in front of you right after hearing a bird gobble in that direction. He might be much further away on another hill, but he may be directly below you and just sound far away....
coconut

Post by coconut »

Don’t try and quick draw a turkey. Slow and steady will work better. Do point your hard of hearing hunting buddy a several degrees the wrong direction.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

coconut wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 3:12 pm Don’t try and quick draw a turkey. Slow and steady will work better. Do point your hard of hearing hunting buddy a several degrees the wrong direction.
I'm hard of hearing... :slap:

But can shot from either shoulder. :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

More mid-morning scouting rather then pre-dawn so that I don't burn myself out too early in the Season!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

quavers16 wrote: January 26th, 2018, 12:12 pm More mid-morning scouting rather then pre-dawn so that I don't burn myself out too early in the Season!
thats good advice if you already know where they predominantly roost. a midmorning scout will show where they like to be soon after the roost anyway
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
willie

Post by willie »

don't forget toilet paper.takes a lot of pine needles to do any good.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”