check it out!!!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
rmbailey2010

check it out!!!

Post by rmbailey2010 »

Don't forget to tune in to the Pursuit Channel (DirecTV 604, Dish 240) tonight at 7:30pm for the debut of Woodhaven's Pure Turkey. It'll be a great show and you'll get to see the best calls in the business in action!! Also hop on over to woodhavencustomcalls.com for all your turkey call needs!!!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: check it out!!!

Post by MKW »

Is it gonna be just like all the other "turkey hunting" shows with all the tents and decoy flocks?? If not, I may watch it.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
rmbailey2010

Post by rmbailey2010 »

Tune in and see what you think! I think you'll be pleased!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MKW wrote:Is it gonna be just like all the other "turkey hunting" shows with all the tents and decoy flocks?? If not, I may watch it.

Mike
If Mike Pentecost has anything to do with that show, there shouldnt be any tents. lol
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

rmbailey2010 wrote:Tune in and see what you think! I think you'll be pleased!
I am goin to be nice here, but you did not answer the mans question.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Why would he ?????
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

Its been scheduled to come on here in Tennessee for weeks but something else always comes on instead. Something about not being available in Tennessee???
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Gotta love spammers...
rmbailey2010

Post by rmbailey2010 »

haha i didn't answer the question because I'm going to let the show speak for itself. Its also showed up here in NC that it was "supposed" to be on for a couple weeks. Tonight has been the actual scheduled premeire date even though the time slot has showed up for a couple weeks now. After tonight that will be the time slot for the show
GSLAM95
Location: Southern Illinois - NOTE: Chicago is not part of IL by our choice!

Post by GSLAM95 »

MKW wrote:Is it gonna be just like all the other "turkey hunting" shows with all the tents and decoy flocks?? If not, I may watch it.

Mike
Mike,
Why have such animosity towards other turkey hunters? Do you really feel that if someone does not pursue a Gobbler in the same manner as you that they are not doing it properly? There are more ways than one to turkey hunt, some prefer hunting the run-n-gun style with only a gun and a single call while others may carry a vest full of calls and or even decoys. While some may carry a bow vs a firearm and some may hunt a baited area where legal and yes some may hunt from a portable ground blind.
I have hunted and killed turkeys going on my 35th year now and have killed way more with a gun while hunting the run-n-gun method than any other. I have killed birds in every way listed excepted hunting over bait. Although I have not and will not hunt birds in this manner I will still not desecrate another who does where it is labeled legal.
Do you set up on every turkey you hunt by sitting in the wide open with your back up against a tree OR have you ever found yourself cutting some twigs and sticking them in the ground around you to break up your silhouette? Have you ever backed up into a bush or brush pile while setting up to use it for a natural ground blind?
If gun hunting I hardly ever use a decoy because I don't want to pack it. Does this make one more of a purist because no flock of decoys were used? I doubt it, more simply just didn't feel like packing them and seen no need for the choice of weapon that day.
If I am bowhunting I almost always have both decoys and a portable blind, do you have any idea of what physical and mental challenges it takes to pack this much equipment to many locations I or someone else may hunt? If you ever did it you may have a little different view. I have used run-n-gun tactics while even bow hunting and after you set-up everything for the 3rd or 4th time as you move on a bird you may have some appreciation for what is involved.
If hunting from a blind (especially with a bow) was as easy as apple pie I think the broadhead and arrow manufacturers would be selling more units than Federal, Hevi-Shot etc but at this time I am sure that is not the case.
I could strike another nerve with the "purist" of turkey hunters amongst us asking if they shoot modern shotguns with the special turkey chokes out there today and the newer developed Tungsten loads which together are allowing guys to consistently take turkeys at 50-60+ yards but wait---- those things are ok because you do it!
Sorry but unless your hunting with old worn out black mason shoes, bib overalls, brown checkered flannel shirt, a scratch box used on the stock of an old JC Higgins side by side with 2-3/4" #5s like my Uncle first did when I just got to tag along then I am not impressed with the egotistical views!
When in doubt,show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
GSLAM95

Post by GSLAM95 »

My apologies to the OP of this thread as I did not mean to derail it by any means.. Good luck with your show and hope it is successful as the hunting community is small and the Turkey hunting community is even smaller.
When in doubt,show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

rmbailey2010 wrote:haha i didn't answer the question because I'm going to let the show speak for itself. Its also showed up here in NC that it was "supposed" to be on for a couple weeks. Tonight has been the actual scheduled premeire date even though the time slot has showed up for a couple weeks now. After tonight that will be the time slot for the show
Ok then. No holds barred. If its full of add after add after add, and full of views from in front of the camera and crap like that, you will hear from us.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

GSLAM95 wrote:Why have such animosity towards other turkey hunters?...
I don't think he's putting down anybody's hunting style. It just won't make the show interesting enough for him to watch. I'm the same way with fishing shows.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I wasn't desecrating anyone. I just don't see the need to watch another turkey hunting show that is all about blinds and decoys.
You obviously have a problem with some of my thoughts that I project on some of these sights. That's fine.
The only thing about the whole situation that bothers me is that a big portion of the new generation of turkey hunters think that the blind/decoy tactics are the only way to kill turkeys. That is sad to me.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

Just hope its not like DND's Turkey Man that was on last nite. They ran the same Haint and Mossy Oak Obsession camo advertisement back to back twice in one segment and 3 different times during the show.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

SKFOOTER wrote:Just hope its not like DND's Turkey Man that was on last nite. They ran the same Haint and Mossy Oak Obsession camo advertisement back to back twice in one segment and 3 different times during the show.
And it still dont sound like a gobble. Now did anyone see David Holloran run his box call. Talk about a gobble.

John

What's up with that
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

SKFOOTER wrote:Just hope its not like DND's Turkey Man that was on last nite. They ran the same Haint and Mossy Oak Obsession camo advertisement back to back twice in one segment and 3 different times during the show.
I watched episode 1 and thought man this is a cool show.. They showed Eddie doing that Grand Slam in 4 day contest and the final segment was Eddie showing how he built a mouth call with lead and condoms..

So I saw another episode the other day and it was an infomercial..
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GSLAM95 wrote: I have hunted and killed turkeys going on my 35th year now and have killed way more with a gun while hunting the run-n-gun method than any other. I have killed birds in every way listed excepted hunting over bait. Although I have not and will not hunt birds in this manner I will still not desecrate another who does where it is labeled legal.
I don't think Mike desecrated anyone with his statement. He feels the same way about decoy's and blinds as you do bait, that's it. I've seen him say over and over on these forums that he couldn't care less how someone else hunts turkey's. But he finds deke's and blinds boring, and less challenging for him.

I'm going on my 46th year now and have also killed birds in every way listed. And to be honest I also found it boring and less challenging hunting with a decoy and or blind, even with a bow. Not desecrating anyone, just passing along another's view.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I have lost the desire to watch turkey hunting videos in the typical in the field with decoys manner. And it seems like they all are like that in recent years. I understand why they do that -- to sell decoys and get more footage of strutting gobblers -- but I just don't enjoy watching that. So I understand what Mike is saying, and I feel the same way. I don't care how folks hunt, but on turkey hunting sites where stuff like this is discussed, I don't mind sharing my perspective on such questions, and IMO, it's a lot more fun and exciting hunting them in the woods with no dekes. I think folks miss out on the essence of it if they decoy them in.

So, I think the comment by MKW is legitimate -- I too would be interested in watching the show if it was not an over-decoys hunt -- and since I've soured on watching turkey hunting TV lately due to all the dekes, I'd need someone to tell me it isn't like that before I'd be motivated to try watching it. Not knocking anyone or anything -- just stating my perspective on it.

So, I'd love to hear the answer to the question myself!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Honestly for me I kinda get tired of hearing the I don't like decoys, etc it takes away from the hunt, your cheating blah blah blah I think we all get it by now. Hunt the way you want but man quit trying to make us all feel unworthy or less hunters because we don't hunt in this somehow sacred way. And don't watch the guys show. Thankfully I love turkey hunting and anything I can get on it. I will watch the show if it has decoys, blinds whatever as long as they are chasing turkeys I'm in.
GSLAM95

Post by GSLAM95 »

guesswho wrote:
GSLAM95 wrote: I have hunted and killed turkeys going on my 35th year now and have killed way more with a gun while hunting the run-n-gun method than any other. I have killed birds in every way listed excepted hunting over bait. Although I have not and will not hunt birds in this manner I will still not desecrate another who does where it is labeled legal.
I don't think Mike desecrated anyone with his statement. He feels the same way about decoy's and blinds as you do bait, that's it. I've seen him say over and over on these forums that he couldn't care less how someone else hunts turkey's. But he finds deke's and blinds boring, and less challenging for him.

I'm going on my 46th year now and have also killed birds in every way listed. And to be honest I also found it boring and less challenging hunting with a decoy and or blind, even with a bow. Not desecrating anyone, just passing along another's view.
How can you honestly say that bowhunting a Gobbler is less challenging than with a gun? It's like saying that riding a bicycle cross country is easier than on a motorcycle or hammering a nail is easier with a hammer than an air nailer.
Perhaps I have read previous post and misconstrued... I think not... I have seen the post from a select few that are always desecrating others for the way they hunt. Below is a post made just last October on this very site titled "Pet Peeves"
MKW wrote:People that act like killing a turkey with a bow is a big deal...when thay are doing it out of a tent, over a flock of decoys. :dontknow:

Mike
It is what it is gentlemen, as I stated before "The hunting community is small and the turkey hunting community is even smaller." We all need to quit putting each other down, sit down enjoy a cold one and enjoy swapping turkey hunting stories. If I have misinterpreted anything than my apologies as I will buy the first round of drinks..
GSLAM95

Post by GSLAM95 »

timbrhuntr wrote:Honestly for me I kinda get tired of hearing the I don't like decoys, etc it takes away from the hunt, your cheating blah blah blah I think we all get it by now. Hunt the way you want but man quit trying to make us all feel unworthy or less hunters because we don't hunt in this somehow sacred way. And don't watch the guys show. Thankfully I love turkey hunting and anything I can get on it. I will watch the show if it has decoys, blinds whatever as long as they are chasing turkeys I'm in.

I am with you timbrhuntr.... I don't watch much of it but if I do I will take it for the entertainment value that it is.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GSLAM95 wrote:How can you honestly say that bowhunting a Gobbler is less challenging than with a gun?
What I said was "I also found it boring and less challenging hunting with a decoy and or blind, even with a bow." And I can honestly say it because I have done it, but won't do it again. If I do bow hunt turkeys it will be without a blind and decoys.

If people want to hunt with decoys and out of a blind more power to them. It doesn't effect me at all, so I couldn't care less. I just don't like it when someone calls out somebody by saying they desecrated others because they made a comment about not wanting to watch a show that has decoys and or blinds. Or because they let it be know they don't use either one.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yep, that's an old quote of mine. I said it, I meant it, and I still feel exactly the same way. By the way, I'm entitled to my opinion, same as you.

But this thread was about a new turkey hunting show that I hoped/hope will be different than all the others out there.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote:
GSLAM95 wrote:How can you honestly say that bowhunting a Gobbler is less challenging than with a gun?
What I said was "I also found it boring and less challenging hunting with a decoy and or blind, even with a bow." And I can honestly say it because I have done it, but won't do it again. If I do bow hunt turkeys it will be without a blind and decoys.

If people want to hunt with decoys and out of a blind more power to them. It doesn't effect me at all, so I couldn't care less. I just don't like it when someone calls out somebody by saying they desecrated others because they made a comment about not wanting to watch a show that has decoys and or blinds. Or because they let it be know they don't use either one.

I may agree with that except when it always seems to me that the people that make the I don't use a decoy or blind comments want to make it seem like it is somehow better to hunt their way. No it isn't. So if you don't use a blind , decoy etc I get it already but not using one doesn't make it better or worse like some would want you to believe.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”