Vets Hunt

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Vets Hunt

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sal will testify I always tell her if I have one regret it's not serving. I go outta my way to thank folks with vet hats on.

The idea of a vets hunt hit me a year ago. I would love it. We've put lots of thought in this,. We have more ground to hunt we can handle. Last year we sent 38 thank you cards many being farms with multiple parcels. Land would not be a problem as I'm sure with this could pick up anything.

We've discussed lodging have multiple options in our wheelhouse that would work great.

Sponsors, I live in the most generous little town. I'm sure food would be most likely donated from area restaurants and smokehouses or reduced. I can think of a pile of businesses give 50 100$ cover lodging and other odds and ends.

Guides, I would have some very good ones. Not necessarily gncc calling champs but straight killers. I have two friends know counties like we do they'd be are Gophers showing guides around. Sal and I would tackle home front, lunches, dinners beds laundry etc

Thought of disabled hunt, but new can of worms. I really gotta look into not for profit regulations and insurance.

Think memorial day weekend. It would be fitting

Friday night be appreciation night, laandowners, sponsors invited. Thout about doing a chapter of something. But I'd like to do my thing. With wedding plannned next year may not happen but I really wanna do it.

Honestly after running lodges we got this.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Vets Hunt

Post by Turkinator »

:thumbup: :old_glory:
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

Awesome [emoji1319][emoji631]
Spurz

Post by Spurz »

I always wanted to do this as well, would love to guide a vet but willing to do whatever is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clark8907

Post by Clark8907 »

I have been military now over 12 years and guide for the hunts of honor put on by gobbler down custom calls. It is very rewarding giving back to fellow brother and sisters in arms and Leo.

We put this hunt in every year and was lucky this year to have a outfitter in Texas open his ranch to all six of the chosen vets. We sale raffle tickets that pays for gear for the selectees, airfare, license, food and drinks. It's an awesome time and something I love being a part of.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've a fellow church member that is some sort of a leader with Mighty Oaks, I believe it's a mens ministry to vets that are trying to find their way back into civilian life. There's probably more to it than that.

Anyway, I'd guess that some sort of collaboration with a similar group may make organization simpler. Regardless, it'll be cool to see how your idea develops.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Icedturkes,

As a Navy Submarine vet from back in Vietnam Era I appreciate the interest in working with vets and bringing them into the fold. I would suggest any wanting to engage vets for turkey hunts may want to approach the local American Legion and/or VFW posts. Many, especially in smaller communities may very well be extremely supportive of organizing veterans' hunts, etc. One of the other things I've gotten involved in is our town is developing plans for a Veterans Park on a property donated by a local car dealership. We are ramping up plans and donations to develop the park. We had a dedication of a Gold Star Families memorial that will be part of the park, which the sole surviving Medal of Honor recipient from Iwo Jima participated in and his foundation will provide a generous donation toward the memorial. We had two local Gold Star families participate in the dedication. Thanks to all of you that have served our country! God bless!
Don

Return to “Gobbler Talk”