What pot call do I need to buy right now

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SwampDrummin

What pot call do I need to buy right now

Post by SwampDrummin »

Money burning a hole in my pocket. Tell me who makes what and why I need to buy it right now.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What pot call do I need to buy right now

Post by turkeyinstrut »

David Halloran Crystal Mistress, listen to one on Youtube......Nuff said.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

No joke..

Lausman Turkey Voodoo and you will thank me
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

That's a tall order. Kaiser ,Halloran, Tackett, Lightsout, Joe Slaton, AJ Calls. I either own one or two or have heard them in use and they are well built and sound great. Full of turkeys. I'm sure there are many more great call makers out there.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Blackstone also makes some awesome pot calls that are very reasonably priced, here is a link to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Blackstone-Cus ... 093751833/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you want something a little different, Mike Yingling's 3" copper call is nice. It comes with a great carbon fibre striker. Gil
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Halloran, Sinclair but man there are many. I have killed a pile of birds with a Blodgett double trouble from 03, I really only use the slate side and it's really an amazing call, though I think it has more to do with my confidence in it!
BIGGUS

Post by BIGGUS »

It's never gonna make you the coolest kid in camp, but I kill more turkeys with my Woodhaven Crystal Vision than any other I own.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

There's alot of good ones nowadays. I'll throw our name in the hat Hook's banshee all sal run guiding. Outside tube call I only ran our Redeemer with laminate peg.
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

Eddie Wynne persimmon slate.
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

David Hollaran Crystal Mistress best sound call I ever ran an I've got 60 to 70 pot calls from cheap to high dollar for some reason it's just pure turkey. The pot that will always be in my vest.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Darin Dawkins make a killer pot.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 4th, 2018, 12:49 pm There's alot of good ones nowadays. I'll throw our name in the hat Hook's banshee all sal run guiding. Outside tube call I only ran our Redeemer with laminate peg.
That Banshee is a excellent sounding call. Small enough to have it with you at all times.

Nephew sold his Banshee to his uncle. I’m trying to buy it from him. Still kicking myself for not getting one in Mashville. Is the Redeemer the slate version of the Banshee?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

ol bob wrote: June 4th, 2018, 1:57 pm Darin Dawkins make a killer pot.
That he does. Every bird I killed that came to a call this year was with a Dawkins crystal or aluminum pot call.
misfire

Post by misfire »

What about a frying pan copper?
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I BET YOUR SORRY YOU ASKED..............POT CALLS ARE LIKE BUTTHOLES, EVERYBODY HAS ONE AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT!!!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I have used HS STRUT "Black Widow" glass call for years and it works every year like magic dust.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
fountain

Post by fountain »

All depends on how much money you got burning....Clint Corder, Paul Platz, Pat Strawser all make some very fine pot calls. Hanks is another one. I have several Hanks calls now and love them all. There is a long list of great pot makers out there that all make very, very nice calls
Another lesser known call is the persimmon popper made by Karl Lausman. It's a super sweet and smooth running call.
All of David Hallorans calls are good too. His latest aluminum is very nice as well as the metal mouth 2.
O yea....another super call maker and even better guy is Brad Roberts. Brad makes some very popular calls and they sound great. He is also a very good guy as well

As you see...there are plenty of options for you to mull over and very easily spend your dollars
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote: June 4th, 2018, 2:31 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 4th, 2018, 12:49 pm There's alot of good ones nowadays. I'll throw our name in the hat Hook's banshee all sal run guiding. Outside tube call I only ran our Redeemer with laminate peg.
That Banshee is a excellent sounding call. Small enough to have it with you at all times.

Nephew sold his Banshee to his uncle. I’m trying to buy it from him. Still kicking myself for not getting one in Mashville. Is the Redeemer the slate version of the Banshee?
It's a great lil call, honestly I like the smaller ones better. Redeemer is the growing deer crystal.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

CamoMan4025 wrote: June 4th, 2018, 6:23 pm I BET YOUR SORRY YOU ASKED..............POT CALLS ARE LIKE BUTTHOLES, EVERYBODY HAS ONE AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT!!!
You know what I was just thinking something along those lines. Gonna have to try the crystal mistress for the early shouts. Figure I can sneak 2 by the wife so there’s some deciding to do.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

fountain wrote: June 4th, 2018, 9:18 pm All depends on how much money you got burning...
Which depends on how much the wife puts down on the credit card. She hit it pretty good last month but she was crafty enough to squeeze it all in when my turkey traveling expenses were peaking. Now it’s much more of a cat and mouse game.....
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

There’s something to those old line factory calls, but IMO other than a few stand out lucky batch calls, the major reason some of them turn into stomp-down perennial killers is that the individual caller gets to know the individual call intimately. Particularly in the beginning of ones entry to the sport. As far as picking another one off the shelf, it’s hard to get any two to run the same, at least for me.

I would love to get back the power crystal I lost that I learned to hunt with. I could sing with that call- blind fold me, ear muff me, give me a waterlogged striker - it didn’t matter. I knew every note it would put out the day before I made it. After I lost it, experimented, lost several replacements, repeat, etc., I decided it was time to ante up and get a call that allowed me to focus more on what I was saying rather than how I was going to get the call to say what.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Grumpy wrote: June 4th, 2018, 7:27 pm I have used HS STRUT "Black Widow" glass call for years and it works every year like magic dust.
I sold the aluminum version of that call to a fella. He was tickled to get it. Said it was the killing-est call he ever had, so he wanted to have a few. I could never get it to sound like a turkey. Just goes to show the importance of finding what works for you.
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

pot calls are an addiction, i have many & build them also. But I rarely use them in the woods. Mike
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

turkeyinstrut wrote: June 4th, 2018, 10:18 am Blackstone also makes some awesome pot calls that are very reasonably priced, here is a link to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Blackstone-Cus ... 093751833/
I used a Blackstone green slate and a Halloran twisted sister on almost every hunt this season.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”