why 9 over 8 tss?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Longspurs

Re: why 9 over 8 tss?

Post by Longspurs »

TSS # 9s do not weigh as much as a lead #5 not even remotely
10gaugemag

Post by 10gaugemag »

Tagged.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Longspurs wrote: May 14th, 2018, 8:29 pm TSS # 9s do not weigh as much as a lead #5 not even remotely
You are correct. With 174 lead 5's in an ounce, lead 5's are more than twice as heavy. TSS9's are better in penetration than lead 5's, some say 4's, at ranges over 50 yards. Gil
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

This was my first year with tss. I went to tss so I could shoot my 20 like I can my 12. I can reload my 12ga 3.5" with lead to kill past 50. That is a stretch with the 20 with hevi 13. Even with long beards. With the tss in the 20 it is easy. I shot a bird at 55 yards (that is where I found the first feather). Tss just patterns better and can kill way further than I care to shoot. I thought the bird was at 45. If I was shooting anything else I suspect I would have been sick. I am sold on this tss shot.

With all the money you spend on the rest of the hunt, the round you fire will be the least of it all. I can load lead for less than $2 a round or tss for $6 a round. I can take the punishment of the 12 3.5" but now I can load the 410 with tss 9 and have the kids kill at the same. Wanna guess what I am hunting with now?

Taking the kids out this week, wish them luck!

Jerry Jr.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

I can see where it is a huge advantage in the 20 gauge but im just thinking if you are going to shoot a 2 1/2 oz load why not shoot 8 or 7 shot. honestly probably still same pellet count as a 20
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

I don't mind the size of my 12 gauge I use a browning maxus. very light semi with a great feel
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

-DIRTNAP- wrote: May 15th, 2018, 4:35 am I can see where it is a huge advantage in the 20 gauge but im just thinking if you are going to shoot a 2 1/2 oz load why not shoot 8 or 7 shot. honestly probably still same pellet count as a 20
It's not a question of "why not" but rather "why should you" and the answer is there is no reason you should. In fact I can't think of any good reason to shoot 2.5 of TSS at anything that I hunt...

The beauty of TSS is that it allows us to go to smaller gauges but retain the same (or better) killing power. Using it in a large gauge gun is defeating the whole idea IMO. If you are gonna shoot a 3.5" 2.5+ oz shell just stick with what's available on the shelf at WalMart.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The question regarding shooting 2.5 oz. of TSS shouldn't be "what size shot?", but "what's in your wallet? " ;) Gil
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I would never shoot more than a 2oz load in a 12 using tss. Absolutely no need for it in my hunting for turkeys.
Now for coyotes.. if I felt the need for a 100 yard coyote shotgun then I would probably want a 2.5oz load.

When it comes to shot size, like I already said.. the 8’s have killed them in the thicker stuff where there’s a lot of saplings, briars and stuff that your eyes might not pick up when he’s strutting at 35 yards and your pulling the trigger when his head pops up.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

No need to shoot anything bigger than 9s in TSS unless req'd by law. Currently loading 1&5/8 oz 8.5s over 9s in my 12 ga til I use up all the 8.5s ( bought the 8.5s advertised as 9s, but they were oversize). Then I don't plan to load anything but 9s; 345/10 will get it done as far as I need it to.
jryser

Post by jryser »

Jamey wrote:
-DIRTNAP- wrote: May 15th, 2018, 4:35 am I can see where it is a huge advantage in the 20 gauge but im just thinking if you are going to shoot a 2 1/2 oz load why not shoot 8 or 7 shot. honestly probably still same pellet count as a 20
It's not a question of "why not" but rather "why should you" and the answer is there is no reason you should. In fact I can't think of any good reason to shoot 2.5 of TSS at anything that I hunt...

The beauty of TSS is that it allows us to go to smaller gauges but retain the same (or better) killing power. Using it in a large gauge gun is defeating the whole idea IMO. If you are gonna shoot a 3.5" 2.5+ oz shell just stick with what's available on the shelf at WalMart.
TOTALLY agree. I shoot the “regular” stuff outta my 12’s. No need for TSS with them Bc frankly, if a turkey ain’t close enough to smell his breath, I’m not interested in shooting him. I LOVE having light guns in my 20 and 28 gauges. 70-90 yard shots? Not for me. And I REALLY loved getting a turkey with my 1962 Browning Auto 5 with TSS this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

i don't want to shoot 90 yard turkeys either. I loved watching that hunt and that is a very cool gun you got there. it was just a question that had me wondering why not 8? i use to shoot hevi 13 shells and i know a lot of people liked the 7's but i shot 6's just kind of one of those things. with tss being so expensive you want to make sure you got it right the first time.
jryser

why 9 over 8 tss?

Post by jryser »

-DIRTNAP- wrote:i don't want to shoot 90 yard turkeys either. I loved watching that hunt and that is a very cool gun you got there. it was just a question that had me wondering why not 8? i use to shoot hevi 13 shells and i know a lot of people liked the 7's but i shot 6's just kind of one of those things. with tss being so expensive you want to make sure you got it right the first time.
Agree with you there. Indiana has a shot size rule so I’ll adhere to that, but in states without that, 9’s - for what we are looking to do - are the best all around as they sort of coincide with that middle part of the old Venn diagram for patterning, penetration, and maximum distance for the target (turkeys) we are shooting. I have to be honest I don’t need TSS at all if all I’m gonna do is crank my Beretta or my Benelli 12’s - Longbeard XR’s are perfect. But I want to absolutely maximize my smaller guns plus loading my own releases my inner geek. My main goal is quick and clean kills! And thanks for watching that hunt!! Special hunt, great friends, and yep - awesome gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Hey DIRTNAP 2.50oz #8 has 635 pellets and #9 has 905 pellets so you gain 270 pellets with 9's assuming 362/oz.
I load and shoot 9's but load 8's for a few buddies that are sold on 8's all in the 12ga. From first hand experience I don't see a huge advantage of 8's over 9's in the 12.
My buddies shoot 2.25oz I shoot 2oz and I'm going to try a 20ga next spring. I will say the 8's in a big bore are bad news kill a long way but so do the 9's so I'd rather go with 9's because of pellet count. Both 8's and 9's have performed great in thick brush and will kill a gobbler a long way in thick stuff.
So to answer your question you can load the 8's and have a killing machine but there's no real advantage over the 9's IMO.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Duplexing actually does hold the string together longer. I've proved this time and time again with various shot materials. The basic result is the numbers would be very close count wise with duplexed loads(IE 8x9 TSS or 7.5x6 hevi). It was so close with Hevi that I primarily ran 6x7s for many years. With TSS I've often loaded duplexes of say 1oz 9s under 5/8oz 8s in 20ga to get very similar 10 and 20 counts, but more efficient % overall.

I can't give you a factual explanation behind the very true result. It could possibly be that the larger shot allows less resistance on the smaller shot to the rear, but that's merely a WAG. I do know that smaller shot is dispersed at a higher rate due to lower mass/more resistance(read lower BC) and %s plainly prove this.

Keep in mind the above result wasn't from a couple shots down range with each :D It was from lots of shooting in various conditions.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

That's very interesting Reloader, I have been shooting straight 9.5's but I may have to try and duplex them with 8.5's. I am getting very good 10" numbers but my 10" to 20" is lacking, I would like to take about 100 out of the 10" and move them to the 20".
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Reloader wrote: May 17th, 2018, 12:35 pm Duplexing actually does hold the string together longer. I've proved this time and time again with various shot materials. The basic result is the numbers would be very close count wise with duplexed loads(IE 8x9 TSS or 7.5x6 hevi). It was so close with Hevi that I primarily ran 6x7s for many years. With TSS I've often loaded duplexes of say 1oz 9s under 5/8oz 8s in 20ga to get very similar 10 and 20 counts, but more efficient % overall.

I can't give you a factual explanation behind the very true result. It could possibly be that the larger shot allows less resistance on the smaller shot to the rear, but that's merely a WAG. I do know that smaller shot is dispersed at a higher rate due to lower mass/more resistance(read lower BC) and %s plainly prove this.

Keep in mind the above result wasn't from a couple shots down range with each :D It was from lots of shooting in various conditions.
Is there a possibility that the 8’s being denser heavier etc is clearing the air so to speak to bring along the 9’s further? Which would keep the pattern tighter?

crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

Like drafting in Nascar? :lol:

Funny analogy, but might actually make sense
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

crenshawco wrote: May 17th, 2018, 4:32 pm Like drafting in Nascar? :lol:

Funny analogy, but might actually make sense
Exactly :LMAO:

-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Very interesting maybe that's why nitro duplexes his loads
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I have found the same to be true of duplex loads, but IMO are not worth the trouble unless you need to get rid of some bigger shot (8.5s in my case). If you use a shot trap, it is a real PIA to separate the sizes of duplex loads. So I keep all that reclaimed mixed shot in a separate bottle to load into my short range shells for the open barrel of my O/U and for yearly testing of POI vs POA. Works fine for those purposes with no need to separate.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Spuriosity wrote: May 18th, 2018, 7:47 am I have found the same to be true of duplex loads, but IMO are not worth the trouble unless you need to get rid of some bigger shot (8.5s in my case). If you use a shot trap, it is a real PIA to separate the sizes of duplex loads. So I keep all that reclaimed mixed shot in a separate bottle to load into my short range shells for the open barrel of my O/U and for yearly testing of POI vs POA. Works fine for those purposes with no need to separate.
I ran into this last year, separating 9's from 8's. I bought a salt shaker and drilled the holes out to let the 9's pass through but catch the 8's, can't remember what # bit I used but it worked like a charm. :D
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

turkeyinstrut wrote: May 18th, 2018, 8:55 am
Spuriosity wrote: May 18th, 2018, 7:47 am I have found the same to be true of duplex loads, but IMO are not worth the trouble unless you need to get rid of some bigger shot (8.5s in my case). If you use a shot trap, it is a real PIA to separate the sizes of duplex loads. So I keep all that reclaimed mixed shot in a separate bottle to load into my short range shells for the open barrel of my O/U and for yearly testing of POI vs POA. Works fine for those purposes with no need to separate.
I ran into this last year, separating 9's from 8's. I bought a salt shaker and drilled the holes out to let the 9's pass through but catch the 8's, can't remember what # bit I used but it worked like a charm. :D
I did the same with two cookie tins, one to separate HS 7s from anything smaller, and another to separate 7s from anything larger. At that time, I was working on 2 oz 12 ga HS 6 x 7 duplex loads. But I haven't made one for separating TSS, since I have a ready use for the reclaimed mix.

Return to “Gun Talk”