no pride in some hunters

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
willie

no pride in some hunters

Post by willie »

i have 5 gobblers that roost within 100-400 yards of my house every spring.my wife and myself watch and listen to them most every morning.i have videoed these turkeys for 4 years just to see how big they would get.i have called them up within 50 yards of yard at times (after 1st time they get slick).i have given them a free pass and my tenant who lives within 1/4 mile of me was told not to shoot them.i got 200 acres but across the dead end road from me is another land owner.once in awhile the turkeys will wonder over in his field.well he has a 19 year old son that yesterday put corn out in field next to edge of field and put ground blind there to draw the turkeys there for opening day (his father came by and told me as if to be bragging his son going to get one of those big gobblers).i know its illegal but its my neighbor and i have to live here.the kicker is his older brother is a GAME WARDEN in our county! :shock: he live about 7 miles from here.now tell me this doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: no pride in some hunters

Post by appalachianassassin »

thats the problem with trying to protect something that dosent belong to you. myself, I would talk to the people personally and probably not be very nice.
El Sicario
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Why in the world would you not hunt them? We own a bit of land (not quite as much as you) and live in the middle of it. All the hunters I know would love to have this. We have friends that drive over an hour to hunt on our property. I am not saying to go kill everything. I also go to other farms for a change up. I do tend to watch more than I shoot so I can watch my friends and their kids do some shooting, but I still do some shooting myself.

As for the kid ILLEGALLY baiting, contact your warden. Not sure what the law is there but here you can not hunt within 300 yards of an area for 30 days after the bait has been removed. Not saying they will try to get him but there is a good chance he won't be hunting in that area. Down side is next year they might put some food plots in and get the birds to stay in their back 40.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Jerry Jr.
tauntohawk

Post by tauntohawk »

I would just tell him hey I don't care what you do legally to hunt these birds but I dont want bait anywhere near me.

Sometimes you have to remind kids that cutting corners only hurts themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Either make an anonymous call to the DNR, but as you said, you do have to live by them thus anonymous, or, if you have a stereo,
place a speaker in a window & crank up something like: We're Not Gonna Take It or Bang a Gong or School's Out
at the appropriate times to spook the birds.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Neighbor or not, I'd turn them in...without hesitation.
Ultimate Predator
jryser

Post by jryser »

At least try a conversation with the neighbor. If that goes south take you out and involve the law. THEN - since you don’t appear to be hunting them yourself, I would suggest baiting if you will over at your place and just keep them fed full-time. They won’t want to go anywhere else. If that’s what your intention is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coconut

Post by coconut »

Legal to hunt over bait in Texas and they have lots of turkeys
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Im not a fan of baiting, even where it's legal, especially not where it's illegal. However, it sounds like you're as worried about him killing one of 'your' gobblers as you are how he plans to do it.
Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter »

I would not hesitate to call the DNR and report them, neighbors or not, that's why there are game laws, to protect the ethical. The 19yr olds behavior must be stopped now.
Harrington's Hunting & Outdoor Products LLC

Preserving Hunting Memories for a Lifetime

View my products at:
http://www.Etsy.com - HarringtonOutdoor's

http://www.Ebay.com - Gobblergetter

NWTF Member
NRA Member
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

If baiting is illegal there, I'd turn them in, neighbors or not. It probably won't make the Game Warden brother look very good to have his brother get busted for such.

Jim
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Your neighbor is not a hunter but a poacher! You need better neighbors. If he were to call them to his property that would be fine by me but luring them with corn is unethical in my book. I don't care if it were legal I wouldn't hunt turkeys over bait. Talk to them and tell them if they hunt over bait you will call the authorities. Then it will be up to them.

God Bless, Louis
MountNMan

Post by MountNMan »

I agree . As stated already, If you dont hunt the turkeys, then fill your field up with plenty of shelled corn. It's legal to feed them, you just cant hunt over it. I would definitely turn the neighbor in for hunting over bait. Call the " TIP " line and explain that his brother is the county game warden, and if he is called to act on the situation, it will probably be brushed under the rug. Maybe they will inform the county sheriff instead.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I ain’t leaving my turkeys for someone else to kill. It’s nice and cool to let them grow some. But don’t get upset when someone else kills them legally or otherwise. 4 year old gobblers gonna sport some spurs!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

hobbes wrote: April 12th, 2018, 4:25 pm Im not a fan of baiting, even where it's legal, especially not where it's illegal. However, it sounds like you're as worried about him killing one of 'your' gobblers as you are how he plans to do it.
This... In spades..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I'd recommend checking with your DNR before putting out corn or any other type feed as it could be illegal in your state even if you don't hunt over it.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

maybe you should offer to take the kid hunting instead of the alternative. turning people in will get your house burned down in my neighborhood.
El Sicario

Return to “Gobbler Talk”