Question on this Slam thing

The official Grand Slam discussion area.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Question on this Slam thing

Post by Jaybird »

I've really never been that interested, but what the heck, I think I'm just a Merriam away from filling it. Does it matter if you shoot the 4 over a period of years or does it have to be done in the same year? What do you have to do with NWTF to get all this recoginized? The other thing I wonder about is the NWTF determination of what areas are Hybrid areas. The area I'm killing Toms in Kansas is listed as Hybrid Rio/Eastern, but they sure look 100% Rio to me.
ImageImageImage
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Questio on this Slam thing

Post by drenalinld »

They will not count a hybrid as defined by their map.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Questio on this Slam thing

Post by Jaybird »

drenalinld wrote:They will not count a hybrid as defined by their map.
'Their map". That sucks since I could put my Rios up against any shot anywhere, and they look the same. Oh well, I got 2 to go then. :D
ImageImageImage
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

So far, I've refused to let the NWTF hype have any effect on my turkey hunting. I think most of my midwestern turkeys were hybrids of some kind, but it never made any difference to me. A longbeard is a longbeard to me; only thing that matters to me is the quality of the hunt that he gives me.

And I have so far refused to drive 600 miles to FL to pay $2000 to shoot one turkey just because somebody says he is special. :)
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Hey Jay there is no time limit. You fill out their form and send it in with your 15 bucks LOL. I would check their registry on their site for the Rio's. If you see some registered from the county you shot yours I would say you are good to go. If not I would send it anyway. I did and it was accepted. I didn't really give a hoot about slams either but when I got drawn for Florida and got my Florida bird I figured hey why not. Then when I got an invite to NM for Merriam's that sealed the deal. Now that it is done I am glad I did it. Oh ya I also like fall hunting too :banghead: :D :angel4:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

timbrhuntr wrote:Hey Jay there is no time limit. You fill out their form and send it in with your 15 bucks LOL. I would check their registry on their site for the Rio's. If you see some registered from the county you shot yours I would say you are good to go. If not I would send it anyway. I did and it was accepted. I didn't really give a hoot about slams either but when I got drawn for Florida and got my Florida bird I figured hey why not. Then when I got an invite to NM for Merriam's that sealed the deal. Now that it is done I am glad I did it. Oh ya I also like fall hunting too :banghead: :D :angel4:
I felt the same way on the Osceolas, but after getting a couple with Doug guiding me, and living close to Rios and Merriams, what the Heck I might as well get it done next year or the year after at the latest. I really want to hunt Merriams bad, so that's added incentive. At the same time I really enjoy hunting the BIG Easterns and Rios that I go after every year.
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Jaybird wrote:I've really never been that interested, but what the heck, I think I'm just a Merriam away from filling it. Does it matter if you shoot the 4 over a period of years or does it have to be done in the same year? What do you have to do with NWTF to get all this recoginized? The other thing I wonder about is the NWTF determination of what areas are Hybrid areas. The area I'm killing Toms in Kansas is listed as Hybrid Rio/Eastern, but they sure look 100% Rio to me.
Although the NWTF keeps the wild turkey records and registers slams submitted, there is no requirement that anybody register their birds with that organization to have an "official" grand slam, nor is there any rule that says the slam has to be completed in one spring. If you kill one of each of the four primary U.S. subspecies, you have completed your grand slam.

As far as I am aware, the NWTF requires no "proof" in order to register a grand slam, except for filling out the forms and possibly having somebody sign as a witness. They do require you pay the fee for each bird, however ...(imagine that). In reality, the whole "grand slam" thing is in the eyes of the hunter. If you feel like you have taken one of each of the four subspecies, then as far as most of us are probably concerned, you have taken your grand slam. If everybody had to provide concrete proof that each of our four birds were pure genetically, there would most likely be a lot of slams that would not meet that test.

If a hunter really wants to feel like they have taken the closest thing to a pure grandslam, they should only hunt the center of the indigenous range of each subspecies,...and even then, there are places where the birds that live there are no longer pure-strain subspecies. If anybody feels like they have shot one of each of the four subspecies, that is all that really matters.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I know that several states have started "importing" easterns into their state. What is this going to do to the "pure breads" once they start making babies?

Does the NWTF give you anything to hang on the wall for the money?
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I didn't think I cared about the Grand Slam thing that much until I was invited to Texas Rio Hunting. We killed two Rios each and had a blast!! Then a year later we went to the SD Black Hills and killed one Merriam each. And I had the Slam. I thought that was good enough for me. But then I have done it a few more times over the last couple years. Its Fun.

But then in 09 I got talked into going down in deep Mexico to hunt Goulds. We all killed one and had a great time. So now I had all 5.

People keep saying well you need to get the Oscillated. I tell them HEYYELL NOO!!
But lately If the right trip comes up I may go. :dontknow:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:So far, I've refused to let the NWTF hype have any effect on my turkey hunting. I think most of my midwestern turkeys were hybrids of some kind, but it never made any difference to me. A longbeard is a longbeard to me; only thing that matters to me is the quality of the hunt that he gives me.

And I have so far refused to drive 600 miles to FL to pay $2000 to shoot one turkey just because somebody says he is special. :)
We are on the same page here.. T

he Map is flawed IMO.. I believe it says there is not one pure merriam in NE except the far NW corner.. It also says most of SD is pure merriam, I have killed alot of hybrids in the areas they indicate as pure merriam..

I am one away from my slam, the golden bird.. If and when I do do it, they are not going to see a dime from me to register my slam or slams..
pullit wrote:I know that several states have started "importing" easterns into their state. What is this going to do to the "pure breads" once they start making babies?

Does the NWTF give you anything to hang on the wall for the money?
This is going on and is complete B.S. IMO.. Lets face it the vast majority of turkey hunters reside E of the Mississippi river and live in Eastern turkey country.. When folks are willing to make the long trek west to kill turkeys they do not want to be hunting easterns.. THey want to hunt something new..

Where we hunt in SD a few years back we had a flock come in.. One hen was straight up Eastern.. Upon telling the landowner he told me I should have shot her and tossed her in the river.. Since we have seen that hybrids are more prevelent and I actually will shoot the Easterns that come in over the whiter birds.. Especially in Merriam country, I think Easterns are more aggressive and more likely to assert dominance thus do the bulk of the breeding...

If Easterns are continually stocked in areas I think it is going to have a huge effect on turkey hunting tourism and will hurt, guides, outfitters, hotels etc in popular areas known to have other sub species.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

pullit wrote:Does the NWTF give you anything to hang on the wall for the money?
You get a nice pin and a certificate. Looks pretty cool. I won't do it again but I am glad I did register the first and get the pins etc.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

timbrhuntr wrote:
pullit wrote:Does the NWTF give you anything to hang on the wall for the money?
You get a nice pin and a certificate. Looks pretty cool. I won't do it again but I am glad I did register the first and get the pins etc.
That's cool. I'm always looking for stuff to put up in a man cave.
ImageImageImage
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

GN mentioned no proof needed. A few things to mention..depends on size of bird..over 22 lbs required certified scale ticket or something..length of beard over 12" a couple nwtf member signatures. Multiple beards require photos. Registered turkeys also need license and tag numbers from whatever state or reservation. I register out of state birds and only 1 from home state va that had a 12-9/16" beard. It's all in what you want. Records arent as important as memories but one helps the other in some cases I reckon.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

thats why a personal slam is way better than having to jump through hoops and pay a fee to get it through National Wild Twatlip Factory
barry

Post by barry »

I hit a grand slam years ago when I played ball! :toothy7:
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

For those that don't see the need of documenting a turkey species slam or traveling to hunt because of the expense, you create your own personal goals..try to kill birds in different counties or something. I figured one of Yall would have started a tick slam by now..
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I'm one Gould away from a 3rd World Slam and have a few Grand Slams behind me. I haven't registered any of them with the Federation.

For me, the Slams are more about the beautiful places you get to see and the friends you make along the way. We live in a beautiful country and the Slams give you a fine excuse to go see it. Be it the plains of the Dakotas, the mountain birds of the Rockies, the senderos of Texas or the swamps of Florida they are all remarkable.

I don't need the NWTF to validate my accomplishment, the memories and friends are worth more than the piece of paper and a pin.

To each their own, if you want to register them more power to you.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Hey register some of your slams on this web site PLEASE!! I set up a Grand Slam forum and a Grand Slam gallery.
GN will recognize your slams.

Also, Lets make up some slams. You guys are creative. What would be some ideas. How bout the DIXIE SLAM or NEW ENGLAND SLAM or WESTERN SLAM. ETC.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I might go for the Redneck Slam.

1. Kill one from drivers side of vehicle while drinking a beer with the left hand.

2. Kill one off the roost (either after dark or before day light, both will count towards the slam).

3. Kill a Royal Palm out of a farmers pen and claim it to be wild and have it mounted to show all my buddy's.

4. Kill one with a rifle (can be incorporated with any of the above to get double credit)

It is possible to complete this slam with one shot. Kill farmers Royal Palm with a rifle of his roost while drinking beer and driving.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Ronnie, does it have to be season???
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

It don't have to be done in one season, hell it don't even have to be during turkey season.
Double Naught Spy!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Then I need to register one.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Thinking of a catfish slam catching from different waterways or maybe a roadkill possum slam where designated routes must be used.... vehicle optional. The squirrel slam made up of however many counties you can access has been a hot topic too...its whatever we come up with. Whistle pig slam, Crow slam, snapping turtle slam the options are endless. Ive probably got a hundred dozen mosquito slams already.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I got me one. A single season call slam.

1 with nothing but a pot

1 with nothing but a box

1 with nothing but a mouth call

1 with nothing but a trumpet
Double Naught Spy!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation