20 gauge brass shells

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

20 gauge brass shells

Post by howl »

RMC is up for sale! If ya want them, better get them now.

I went ahead and placed an order for a box of 3" 20 gauge cases and a load kit. They answered the phone. So, maybe I'll get them. If they do show up, the first order of business is an ultralight load fit to reproduce .410 recoil and performance with T10s.

Will report back if any progress is made!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 20 gauge brass shells

Post by howl »

First step was to determine if blackpowder might be a path to go for low recoil loads. Eh, a standard 7/8oz load works out to almost 50 grains Triple 7. So, while I assumed bp would be a path to softer shooting, smokeless seems to be more likely route.

Too bad. Pretty sure the boy would dig a big plume of smoke.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

howl wrote: January 17th, 2018, 8:47 pm First step was to determine if blackpowder might be a path to go for low recoil loads. Eh, a standard 7/8oz load works out to almost 50 grains Triple 7. So, while I assumed bp would be a path to softer shooting, smokeless seems to be more likely route.

Too bad. Pretty sure the boy would dig a big plume of smoke.
I have to get my rear in gear and build a trap so I can reclaim my investment. And get to shooting my Tominator. Hoping to have 70-80 grains of trip7 with tss.

Brass 20ga would be cool. But a youngster may not grasp the coolness of doing that
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Well, I don't have an brass hulls, yet. I waited a little too late to order as usual. All I got in so far is a pound of T10s. This may end up being a 2019 project.2

I'm with ya on the trap. I was supposed to pick up kiddie pool and some PVC and rubber runner over the Summer.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Apparently that 2-3 month wait they advertise does not hold. Now I gotta order components! Strongly considering getting a chrono to see how fast 40gr BP will push 7/8oz.

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

RMC makes a pretty product. The reloading kit is a bargain. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The brass 3" is a bit long to carry any usual way, so I got a choke tube box. Next installment should be pattern of light load. Standard load might happen if I get my hands on the powder for it.
Attachments
IMG_20180216_101446115.jpg
IMG_20180216_101455482.jpg
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

First try with 7/8oz T10s was not a success. Paper turkey died, but I wouldn't count on it.

Probably should have ordered more than one pound of T10s for this. Gonna take some trial to get there if it works at all.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Backed off powder, added cork inside inner wad, used Yildiz factory full. This meets the goal of replicating .410, but not a more open pattern. I might as well try another with modified.
IMG_20180304_152008165.jpg
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

More results. Full choke with outer wad slit four times instead of two as before.
IMG_20180304_180117176.jpg
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

2 slits, improved modified choke. Not an impressive pattern, but wide and I don't think a turkey could make it through. That's it for the boy's load. Next post will be after I get some Lil Gun and get the full house loads going.
IMG_20180304_180015272.jpg
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

This is a Yildiz 20 gauge O/U shooting T9s. Shot BIG 20 Stubby NC and Big 20 XL. It was easy to eliminate the Stubby for further consideration here. I wouldn't shoot it in brass again. The wad for the XL is too difficult to get in the hull before you fireform it to your chamber. I wrassled them in. That wad goes in easily after the first firing.

Patterns with Big 20 XL:

I didn't count pellets in this one shot with SumToy 562-5 because it's too tight.

This is with Yildiz factory full. The big circle is the area in which the turkey cutout could not go without catching pellets.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

When I handloaded 10 gauge years ago, my experience with 2 slits dividing the wad in half was that the wad had a tendency to flip with the gas seal leading the way like a badminton shuttlecock with half the load or more still inside the wad. I'd avoid a two slit wad. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I'm open to suggestions!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Got a wild hair and shot a 7/8oz 4 slit load with a grain less through the SumToy 562-5. Four slits means four in the outer wad. The inner wad comes with two slits. I figured if it was too tight I could try adding slits. 10" count was around 130, but nice and even around it. Recoil was light. This was about the same as the factory full with a grain more powder, but more even. I might try an extended extra full to open it up a hair, but that has nothing to do with brass shells.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

1 5/8oz did not stay put in the bottom shell when the top shell was fired. The OSC came forward an 1/8" or so and was at an angle.

When I loaded, I left the hulls dirty to make loading the wad easier since its such a tight seal. I'm hoping the issue is just that the cement that goes over the OSC is not getting a good bond on the dirty hull.

I will run the hulls through an ultrasonic cleaner and shoot the last trial I had in mind. I have been ensuring hulls are dry before loading by firing a primer. Perhaps that step should be skipped when loading for a twice barrel.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I wish I still had my old tumbler that I used for pistol and rifle brass. It would do a better job than the ultrasonic cleaner I use. I use a bore brush on the inside as well as the ultrasonic device. Are you using the recommended Duco cement? Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Yep, Duco. The ultrasonic with cola solution worked great on the .410. I think I posted results on here about it.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Ultrasonic with cola solution did not get the gunk out on the 20ga like it did on the .410. Acetone and a bore brush did. It could be the heavier hulls limit vibration inside the hull, but that's just a guess.

I put a brass hull load in the bottom barrel and fired a few turkey loads out of the top barrel. The OSC did not move.

Return to “Small Bore”