Longbeards

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Longbeards

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I decided to shoot a few longbeards yesterday, just for fun. I saw similar patterns at 40 that I’ve seen posted all over FB and the internet, no big deal. Awesome lead patterns, no doubt. I decided to shoot it at 20 one time, and geez. I knew they’d be super tight at 10 or 15, but I shot a softball at 20. For you fellas that shoot em, at what point do you say, I gotta body shoot him? I’d probably take a low neck shot at 20 and feel decent about it, but any closer and I’d hafta drop down to the wind butt. Just curious. They make me kinda nervous. I guess I’ll stick with the 28 ;)
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Longbeards

Post by OLE RASPY »

I shootem and yea at 20 it’s tight. I believe my closest was 15 yards. I just aimed like you said lower on neck. But at 40 they are DRT to. I switched from hevi 13 to these a few years back. I still have some hevi and they pattern good to but I like them longboard xr’s 6 shot. Trying them in my 20 this time.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
batsonbe

Post by batsonbe »

I was lucky and never let them come in any closer than 30 yards or never had one sneak in on me, if i had to guess yardage the two years i shot longbeards. If I had to i would be tempted to aim about two inches below the waddles if he was in tighter than 20yrds. In my area its so hard to get a bird to commit and work to the call I definitely wouldnt want all my hardwork to not pay off. Im lucky enough to be able to hunt probably 15-20 times in our 1.5 month long season.
TN-TurkeyTickler

Post by TN-TurkeyTickler »

Well I only killed two birds last year, both were around 10 yards. I was shooting #5s through my Indian Creek. Each time I had to swing and shoot. Ended up disintegrating the beards on each bird. Pretty disappointing.
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

I have a scope on my each of my turkey slayers and I aim at the base of the neck regardless of the yardage. I find that aiming at the base of neck gives more wiggle room to be off target and have a dead bird. In addition, it is usually lights out with minimal wing flop.
MAK

Post by MAK »

I wouldn’t want to shoot them without some type of site on the gun

They sure are tight close - miss my Winchester supremes - tried xx loads and was dissatisfied with results in my guns

I don’t handload so I’m limited to store bought
MAK
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I shot one at 5 yds last year. aimed for the eye and completely took the top half of his head off.
El Sicario
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I’d definitely have to run sights or an optic if I shot em. Impressive, but so tight, up close.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Return to “Gun Talk”