How many of us hunt gobblers the wrong way?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: How many of us hunt gobblers the wrong way?

Post by Hoobilly »

Hognutz wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 11:28 pm Getting spanked is part of the hunt. It seldom goes the way you’d expect. The birds you think are untouchable come in on a rope and the ones you think are a slam dunk make you look like you never hunted before. Some times it goes the way it’s supposed to. You never know, until it’s over, how it’s going to shake out. Guess that’s why it’s called hunting and not shooting.
Local legend old man Red Hagenbush would always ask me: you hunting or killing today
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

if you hunt legal its for damn sure not wrong nor immoral. just some ways are more hunting and some ways are just shooting fish in a barrel. I don't think blind hunting is wrong at all either. but, I wonder what will promos thinks about it, he owns double bull blinds and Ive only seen him hunt the same way I do. except he uses dekes and carries way more stuff.
El Sicario
HarleyRiders97

Post by HarleyRiders97 »

There is no way to hunt gobblers the wrong way as long as you're out there hunting!
huntin

Post by huntin »

HarleyRiders97 wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:06 am There is no way to hunt gobblers the wrong way as long as you're out there hunting!
You got that right. Spend every minute you can in the woods. There will come a time when you won't have anything but the memories, and by then you probably won't be able to remember them. :cry:
Hunt the way that you enjoy and don't criticize others for the way they hunt (as long as it's legal). The last thing we need to do is start pitting hunters against hunters!
CMR

Post by CMR »

The “right” way? I give them every opportunity to play the game the “right” way. If they choose to aggravate me, then they are making a choice to die whatever way I see fit to kill em. This is strictly left up to the turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CMR wrote: March 6th, 2018, 2:36 pm The “right” way? I give them every opportunity to play the game the “right” way. If they choose to aggravate me, then they are making a choice to die whatever way I see fit to kill em. This is strictly left up to the turkey.

That’s actually 2 rights making a wrong.. :LMAO:

CMR

Post by CMR »

:thumbup: :salute: :lol:
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

normally I get it wrong, hunting the right way
you never know, unless you go

David
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Me and a buddy got our A$$es handed to us from daybreak till present which was around 230 pm. We were walking a top a ridge above a river on an obvious game trail. As we came around the corner . There was a big Gobbler walking right to us at around 25 yards. I mentioned ..."Are you going to shoot him?" He said "NO!" "I never shoot a Gobbler unless I call him." The Bird trotted off.
I never forgot that lesson. Dumb A$$ had to buy dinner that night or we would have gone hungry.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gobbler wrote: March 6th, 2018, 9:43 pm Me and a buddy got our A$$es handed to us from daybreak till present which was around 230 pm. We were walking a top a ridge above a river on an obvious game trail. As we came around the corner . There was a big Gobbler walking right to us at around 25 yards. I mentioned ..."Are you going to shoot him?" He said "NO!" "I never shoot a Gobbler unless I call him." The Bird trotted off.
I never forgot that lesson. Dumb A$$ had to buy dinner that night or we would have gone hungry.
:LMAO:

appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

Gobbler wrote: March 6th, 2018, 9:43 pm Me and a buddy got our A$$es handed to us from daybreak till present which was around 230 pm. We were walking a top a ridge above a river on an obvious game trail. As we came around the corner . There was a big Gobbler walking right to us at around 25 yards. I mentioned ..."Are you going to shoot him?" He said "NO!" "I never shoot a Gobbler unless I call him." The Bird trotted off.
I like your buddy :thumbup:
El Sicario
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Never look a gift gobbler in the snood,...it will sure as hell come back to haunt you. :lol: :mrgreen: :toothy7: :angel4:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GobbleNut wrote:Never look a gift gobbler in the snood,...it will sure as hell come back to haunt you. :lol: :mrgreen: :toothy7: :angel4:
Exactly!

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

GobbleNut wrote: March 8th, 2018, 1:57 pm Never look a gift gobbler in the snood,...it will sure as hell come back to haunt you. :lol: :mrgreen: :toothy7: :angel4:
When I first started hunting turkeys there was no season in my area so I went to Michigan . I didn't get a permit to bring a firearm with me so I hunted with a bow. I had no blind or decoys. The second day hunting at about noon I was driving to a spot when I saw a tom walking along a hydro cut just inside the woods. It was on the property I could hunt so I decided to park and circle around. I got set up near the edge of the cut in the woods on the side I had permission. About 10 minutes later I could see a tom coming my way. I was kneeling and as he just got past me I drew my bow and put the pin on his vitals. He stopped and began to peck at the ground. I thought man this is too easy so I let down and watched him walk away. I spend the next 6 days chasing turkeys and never got a shot. :violent1: :banghead:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

timbrhuntr wrote: March 8th, 2018, 4:04 pm
GobbleNut wrote: March 8th, 2018, 1:57 pm Never look a gift gobbler in the snood,...it will sure as hell come back to haunt you. :lol: :mrgreen: :toothy7: :angel4:
When I first started hunting turkeys there was no season in my area so I went to Michigan . I didn't get a permit to bring a firearm with me so I hunted with a bow. I had no blind or decoys. The second day hunting at about noon I was driving to a spot when I saw a tom walking along a hydro cut just inside the woods. It was on the property I could hunt so I decided to park and circle around. I got set up near the edge of the cut in the woods on the side I had permission. About 10 minutes later I could see a tom coming my way. I was kneeling and as he just got past me I drew my bow and put the pin on his vitals. He stopped and began to peck at the ground. I thought man this is too easy so I let down and watched him walk away. I spend the next 6 days chasing turkeys and never got a shot. :violent1: :banghead:
somethings are better left unsaid.. :LMAO:
I feel your pain but I never let no gobbler go

Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I was under the impression that turkeys are like rattlesnakes and there's not a wrong way to kill one.

In fact I dream at night of a 22 mag.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Gooserbat wrote: March 9th, 2018, 12:27 am I was under the impression that turkeys are like rattlesnakes and there's not a wrong way to kill one.

In fact I dream at night of a 22 mag.
...while sitting under the roost tree.... :mrgreen:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I saw a guy in Texas kill a rattlesnake by bashing its head in with a rock. All I can say is I hope I never have to kill a turkey that way ! Which reminds me of another story. I have a redneck buddy and he and his neighbors love to shoot their ar15s in the back 40. Well when he heard I was going to try turkey hunting he said I got to tell you a story about those dumb birds. I was at home one afternoon when a buddy called and said get over here right away and bring a bat. He rushed to his buddies place and when he got there he could hear a loud commotion coming from the garage. He ran in and saw his buddy swinging away with a louisville slugger and there was blood and crap everywhere. He began to see several dead turkeys on the garage floor and his buddy was finishing off the last one. He asked him what the heck happened. His bud told him that his wife had been refilling the bird feeder and spilled a trail of seed from the yard into the garage. He was looking out the window and saw several turkeys pecking at the seed and walking into the garage. When several were inside the garage he closed the door ! He then went out to see if he could kill them and called for help. He didn't want to shoot up his garage so he grabbed the bat and started swinging !! :banghead: Like you say I guess there is no wrong way to kill them but some are messier than others !
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

hoobilly wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 10:44 am I do.. apparently

Sometimes I use decoys. Sometimes a blind. Use TSS and occasionally hevi7 duckloads and have tried the Longbeards

Hardly use a box call cause I ain’t good at it.

Cadence sucks with a mouth and or a slate. So
I resort to bushwhacking as needed. I’ll even crawl in a muddy field in a downpour to get close to a gobbler.

Who else does what it takes to kill a gobbler the way he wants to die?

yeap,,,turkey gonna die somehow,,,,I like the challenge of figuring out what of many methods it takes to kill his butt!!
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

The wrong way is is usually a subject discussed with Mr Green Jeans. He's such a kill joy.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gooserbat wrote: March 14th, 2018, 9:00 am The wrong way is is usually a subject discussed with Mr Green Jeans. He's such a kill joy.
:LMAO:

norINhunter

Post by norINhunter »

I fanned one last year but I had chased this sob for a week straight he wouldn't break from his hens. I thought I'd give it a whirl one evening after work, he was out in the field again with a hen jake yelped a couple of times his head spun and he came a running but he hit the breaks hard about 50 but I was ready and shanked him with some tss. Long and skinny of it is as long as its legal I'll try something. For all I care it's just another tool to have.
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

norINhunter wrote: March 14th, 2018, 9:31 pm I fanned one last year but I had chased this sob for a week straight he wouldn't break from his hens. I thought I'd give it a whirl one evening after work, he was out in the field again with a hen jake yelped a couple of times his head spun and he came a running but he hit the breaks hard about 50 but I was ready and shanked him with some tss. Long and skinny of it is as long as its legal I'll try something. For all I care it's just another tool to have.
Exactly!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”