Gobbler Responses versus distance

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SwampDrummin

Gobbler Responses versus distance

Post by SwampDrummin »

I was sitting around thinking today about turkeys. Shocker. My mind wandered to a few times where I had gotten tough toms that I have Gotten to respond to loud yellping from a LONG way away but when I got within a couple hundred yards away.....nothing. Those particular gobblers I can usually get to respond at will or at least multiple times to the long distance talk but they all to a T lived to gobble another day.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I wish I had a call in my vest that made it seem like I was a half mile away.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Gobbler Responses versus distance

Post by Hoobilly »

Typically all gobblers who werre really long ways away (800 yards or more).have come right in to the gun after gobbling at me. If they respond and come, then they usually die. Unless some lovesick hen cuts him off, i have had that happen.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

My guess for what it's worth is your approach may have been to fast, loud, visible or a combination of any of the above. My guess is you made him nervous or he got a visual on you. And a gobble doesn't necessarily mean he's interested. His response was probably just a I hear you, you know where I'm at gobble, which is still a good thing. Slow and steady, if you think your slip-assin slow enough, cut that speed in about half. The closer I got to where I heard him the last time the less I'd call too, until I felt I found the killing spot. A killing spot is usually a mutual agreement between you and him. You just have to find where he's comfortable with his approach.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Most likely scenario is he was coming to the call and you bumped him or he was closer than you thought and you bumped him.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The farthest I've had a bird respond was over 800 yards as measured by google earth. He shock gobbled to me and I coursed him trying to get close. It was probably the best decision I made by not calling until I was assured of the set up. When I got within 200 yards, there was knee deep water between him and me and the hill was on the other side. Before water, it was too thick to call. I waited until flydown and moseyed to the hill and sat down. He was silent when he hit the ground. I did some soft clucks and within 10 minutes, VRRROOOM to my right. I cut my eyeballs to the right and there his puffed-up ass was. I wheeled and shot him as he raised his head coming out of strut just before exit, stage right. Had I called before realizing the lay of the land, I would have probably screwed up as usual.
Gil
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I'd be willing to bet that the bird(s) were coming in silent & you bumped them.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

most likely saw you. but, may have just been a courtesy gobble from a uninterested bird.
El Sicario

Return to “Gobbler Talk”