The outlawing of male turkey decoys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

Would you support the outlawing of male turkey decoys?

1) Yes, I would support male turkey decoys being outlawed
20%
2) No, I would not support the outlawing of male turkey decoys
20%
3) I would rather male turkey decoys be outlawed than the limit in my state be cut
7%
4) I would support fanning/reaping only being outlawed
18%
5) I don't want any new laws
35%

Total votes: 426

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: The outlawing of male turkey decoys

Post by Grumpy »

Wow, there sure is more liberal democrats on here than I ever thought there would be.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I wonder how much more sleep I would have gotten in the spring had they outlawed male turkey hunters. Gil
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

:LMAO:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Well, maybe there ought to be a law protecting anyone who accidentally shoots one of these fools.
tail-chaser-max-field-no-background.jpg
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

howl wrote: February 18th, 2018, 12:27 pm Well, maybe there ought to be a law protecting anyone who accidentally shoots one of these fools.

tail-chaser-max-field-no-background.jpg

There should be a law protecting turkeys from these FOOL's
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The difference there is I suggested a law preserving freedom, while outlawing reaping suppresses freedom.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I am not defending the use of a product like that,....I don't like them. But my perspective is that we should outlaw any turkey hunter that could not take a half-second glance at that product and see that it is not a real, live turkey. Anybody that would make the "mistake" of shooting at that is just as likely to shoot a you or I sitting as the base of a tree calling somewhere.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's just the usual wanting to throw someone in a cage because they don't conform to your personal view. Most people that go turkey hunting have not got the experience you have looking at gobblers in the wild. That thing coming through some grass in mixed lighting is going to take more than a half second to identify. At 80 yards, I myself would have to stare at it a while. I've seen a lot of turkeys in the wild, but I can't see clearly past maybe 30 yards.

I put the freedom of the one who was tricked ahead of the one making themselves a target. More to the point, if people are shot when doing so without prosecution, the reaping will end. A natural solution to a social problem will have been achieved without anyone losing liberty or suffering predatory taxation.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I don’t understand why people want to start these debates. Who in the hell cares. I hunt turkeys. I’d say the majority of the people need to get over yourself AND HUNT TURKEYS. THATS ALL. Pretty easy.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

howl wrote: February 18th, 2018, 6:29 pm That's just the usual wanting to throw someone in a cage because they don't conform to your personal view. Most people that go turkey hunting have not got the experience you have looking at gobblers in the wild. That thing coming through some grass in mixed lighting is going to take more than a half second to identify. At 80 yards, I myself would have to stare at it a while. I've seen a lot of turkeys in the wild, but I can't see clearly past maybe 30 yards.
I'm not "throwing someone in a cage" by expecting anybody that hunts to understand that they are expected to abide by the fundamental rule to positively identify their target before shooting at it, whether that identification process takes half a second or an hour,...or whether they have been hunting for one week or seventy years.
howl wrote: February 18th, 2018, 6:29 pm I put the freedom of the one who was tricked ahead of the one making themselves a target. More to the point, if people are shot when doing so without prosecution, the reaping will end. A natural solution to a social problem will have been achieved without anyone losing liberty or suffering predatory taxation.
So, does that "freedom" extend to the guy that shoots at a hunter calling? ...And if not, why not? Both situations involve shooters that have not positively identified their target,...again, a fundamental rule of hunting safety. No debate intended...Just trying to understand from what basis you are applying your logic....
If I am getting the gist of it, what you are saying is that it is okay for a hunter to get fooled by his eyes and shoot somebody, but perhaps that same courtesy does not apply to someone who gets fooled by his ears?...
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I’m with Gobblenut on this one...
And Raspy!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

There is no identifying a target by sound, because you can't aim a gun with your ears. The distinction is clear and easy. The natural reason the distinction exists is that if it didn't you'd be open to being shot in self defense by anyone you approached too closely. We don't do that anywhere at any time. We could not work together to mutual benefit if we did.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

As a general rule, I don't get involved in threads of this type as they always turn into pissing contests, but I decided to add my 2 cents worth.

If somebody wants to use decoys & it's legal, what business is it of anyone elses. If you legally want to use decoys, go for it. If you don't like dekes, don't use them.

The same can be said for TSS. I don't care if anyone else uses TSS & won't rag on anyone that does except to ask how you can use 8s & 9s in states that have a size limit of 7 1/2. I am perfectly happy with what I shoot & will probably never shoot TSS but if that's what floats your boat, go for it.

Reaping is something I find dangerous & will never do nor will I attach a decoy to my barrel for the same reason. If someone else wants to do either, it's your business so go for it.

Basically, if a method or tools are legal, while others may not agree with the method or use of certain tools, it's not their business & haranguing people that do is out of line.

So endith the sermon of the day. lol
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Well said, George! Thank you..
If it’s legal, it’s legal. If you don’t like, don’t do it. I don’t give a hoot if a guy uses decoys, a blind, tss, bow and arrow or a slingshot. Camo or if he’s buck naked with nothing on but eye shadow. It’s his turkey and how he hunts them is his business. Not mine.
Reaping
It pretty much boils down to KNOW YOUR TARGET! If you see a fan coming at you that’s getting closer and closer, and you can’t see his head, it’s either a reaper or a gobbler walking backwards.. :dontknow:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Hognutz wrote: February 19th, 2018, 3:19 pm
Reaping
It pretty much boils down to KNOW YOUR TARGET! If you see a fan coming at you that’s getting closer and closer, and you can’t see his head, it’s either a reaper or a gobbler walking backwards.. :dontknow:
:LMAO:
Taking that theory one step further, if you see a gobbler coming toward you that looks like it's got a big camouflage wart on its ass, perhaps you should take a second look before pulling the trigger. :thumbright: :toothy7: :D
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

You haven't seen the effectiveness of a strutter until it's paired with 4-5 feeding dsds on a cornpile in ks and your clients shooting a 204. It's pure death!!!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

The convention was full of gun mount reaper fans. Some of them you could control the fan by squeezing a grip that made fan go up and down.

TSS sold out in one hour at federal and apex booths both mornings. YEE HAWW :mrgreen:

I bought a pull behind cart to carry all the turkey hunting gimmicks. Will post pics soon. :toothy7:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Gobbler wrote: February 19th, 2018, 6:41 pm The convention was full of gun mount reaper fans. Some of them you could control the fan by squeezing a grip that made fan go up and down.

TSS sold out in one hour at federal and apex booths both mornings. YEE HAWW :mrgreen:

I bought a pull behind cart to carry all the turkey hunting gimmicks. Will post pics soon. :toothy7:
😂😂
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

ww wrote: February 16th, 2018, 12:56 pm If they outlaw the gobbler decoy or all decoys for that matter, it's great with me....But they need to make TSS illegal also. How can you justify banning decoys when you have a load that will kill 80 plus yards in the gun???

Looks like you might not be here very long !
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Gobbler wrote: February 19th, 2018, 6:41 pm The convention was full of gun mount reaper fans. Some of them you could control the fan by squeezing a grip that made fan go up and down.
Who is going to be the first to paint their face in a tailfeather pattern with a surrounding corona of tailfeathers sorta like Little Miss/Master Sunflower? That way the vision would be clear not having to look through an actual fan and free up hands to manipulate strings connected to the mini-flock of hens or text a buddy or google what to do next or Facebook this chapter in a soon to be over lifetime. Gil
Roy

Post by Roy »

i think we can all agree that outlawing decoys would cause a huge decrease in kills
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Roy

Post by Roy »

The states that are decreasing limits could outlaw decoys and problem solved
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I haven't relied on a decoy in decades. As much as I don't like their usage, they seem to be the entry tools of new and young hunters into the sport. New blood into the sport gives a voice to those who will stand up against the anti-hunting segment of our society. While I would hope that the new blood wouldn't rely on them forever and discover the thrill and skill of calling without relying on fans or decoys, better to have them in the fold than to never hunt turkeys if turkey hunting is to be preserved as a way of life. Gil
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I have not been to Nashville for the show in 6 years, but went this week because I had to pick up a mount from Cally. If you were there, the white headed Gould's strutting for the bearded hen was my piece. Cally is amazing, but that is another thread.

I was utterly disgusted at the number of reaping devices and videos of yum yums crawling around behind them. Everything is now about stopping the flop and dirt naps and thunderchickens and all other amounts of nauseating BS.

I will never go back there, and I will continue to lean up against trees, yelp birds up, and shoot them with a shotgun. I am not here to tell people what should make them happy, but damn this sport has a group of folks who are headed in a much different direction than I
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

trkykilr, I agree with you on that reaper stuff. I am shocked how many are going that way.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”