Mexico safety!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HarleyRiders97

Mexico safety!

Post by HarleyRiders97 »

Headed to Mexico in April for my Gould's hunt. Do you think it's safe to be in Mexico as an American?
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Mexico safety!

Post by HunterGKS »

HarleyRiders97 wrote: February 8th, 2018, 5:56 pm Headed to Mexico in April for my Gould's hunt. Do you think it's safe to be in Mexico as an American?
I'm not sure it's safe to be in Mexico as a Mexican. And no, I'm not joking.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I’m headed there myself in April. I’ve been told it’s fine.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

With 23,101 murder investigations opened in the year up to December, 2017 is the deadliest year since records began in 1997.

Hope you guys stay safe.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I was told by a Mexican where I work that it’s fine as long as your not going to big city’s or whatever and walking around at night and stuff. And plus the guide I’m going with says it’s fine he’s never had a problem. I guess we will see. I’m going. Lol.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

HunterGKS wrote: February 8th, 2018, 6:23 pm With 23,101 murder investigations opened in the year up to December, 2017 is the deadliest year since records began in 1997.

Hope you guys stay safe.
Yea I think it’s probaly different when your going with a outfitter. Hell I’ve never heard of a American having troubles going there with outfitter killing turkeys. But it’s always a first. Lol
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

HarleyRiders97 wrote: February 8th, 2018, 5:56 pm Headed to Mexico in April for my Gould's hunt. Do you think it's safe to be in Mexico as an American?
OLE RASPY wrote: February 8th, 2018, 6:24 pm I was told by a Mexican where I work that it’s fine as long as your not going to big city’s or whatever and walking around at night and stuff. And plus the guide I’m going with says it’s fine he’s never had a problem. I guess we will see. I’m going. Lol.
If I was going, I'd contact the Mossberg Mauler and see if I could borrow one of his masks. I think they love their luchadors.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Also talked to another guy 2 weeks ago (American plain as day big white beard lol) that insulate our pipes at work and he just got back from a mule deer/fishing trip in Mexico with a outfitter and he had a blast. Don’t remember outfitter name. Killed a big mule deer. Anyway I asked him same thing he said you go there lookin for trouble you will have trouble. He said your guide will take care of ya if he’s a reputable guide. And I’m pretty sure I’m going with a reputable guide. Rio Sonora outfitters Brad Fulk.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

guesswho wrote: February 8th, 2018, 6:33 pm
OLE RASPY wrote: February 8th, 2018, 6:24 pm I was told by a Mexican where I work that it’s fine as long as your not going to big city’s or whatever and walking around at night and stuff. And plus the guide I’m going with says it’s fine he’s never had a problem. I guess we will see. I’m going. Lol.
If I was going, I'd contact the Mossberg Mauler and see if I could borrow one of his masks. I think they love their luchadors.
😂😂
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

I'm going in May so I get to see if y'all make it back safe before I actually step on the plane :)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: February 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm I’m pretty sure I’m going with a reputable guide.
Is his name El Chapo by any chance??
Dog Scared.jpg
Dog Scared.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 10486 times
George

fountain

Post by fountain »

I went last may to Chihuahua with El Halcon. It was a fairly quick and whirlwind type ride out of town away from the airport. They told us they wanted to get us out of that part quickly as that was a bad part of town. We then went on into a bigger city that was all good. They had a Lowes, a nice,but grocery store and other common looking places. It was a good part of town. We never felt unsafe on the trip. Manuel and his sons have all of that under control down there and have some very high pull and are very well respected people.
It was about a 2 hr ride to where the lodge was. It was about 1.5 hr rides each way to hunt.
****one VERY IMPORTANT THING....if you have any type of motion sickness or tink you may have any motion sickness...take zofran or something like phenergan. The roads into the mountains are very rough and will toss you around a bit. My wife got sick the first morning....as well as my guide. When i saw him get sick..and he lives there...I knew we were in for some wild rides.
Overall it was a great trip and safety wasn't an issue. We weren't worried, even when we saw the military vehicles riding through with the. 50 cals on the top of numbers with people behind them. It was all good.
If you are bringing your bird back, it would be best in your checked luggage . If you fly with them, be prepared for a little extra time getting them back in at the usda and be prepared for some questioning at any airport you go through. It would really be best to leave them in your checked luggage. Leaving Chihuahua, with our birds in our carry on, I got worried we were fixing to have them taken. The language barrier is difficult.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Been down there several times, with and without an outfitter. The danger issue is mostly blown way out of proportion to the actual reality. Just respect the people and the culture and you should have no problems. Just like in the good ol' U.S.A., 99% of the people are good folks,...and most of the other 1% are in places you will never come close to.
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

Our crew went to El Durangueno last May and had the time of our lives. Go forth and enjoy yourself. It is one hell of a good time. Pavos y cervesas
slayerrd

Post by slayerrd »

I went in 2016 and we had no trouble. I will be going back in the near future.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Our outfitter picks us up at the El Paso airport and we cross over the boarder at a crossing west of there. This is the 3rd year and 4th trip to the hunting areas in the mountains, about 5 hrs away!! :thumbup:
Getting your visa at the boarder is the most contact we have with anyone other than our outfitters family!! ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Are you guys taking your own guns or using guns provided by the outfitter? I've heard it can be a hassle to get a gun into the country, but have never tried it. It's enough of a hassle flying with one in the USA.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: February 10th, 2018, 9:57 am Are you guys taking your own guns or using guns provided by the outfitter? I've heard it can be a hassle to get a gun into the country, but have never tried it. It's enough of a hassle flying with one in the USA.
we are using there’s.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HarleyRiders97

Post by HarleyRiders97 »

soiltester wrote: February 10th, 2018, 7:12 am Our outfitter picks us up at the El Paso airport and we cross over the boarder at a crossing west of there. This is the 3rd year and 4th trip to the hunting areas in the mountains, about 5 hrs away!! :thumbup:
Getting your visa at the boarder is the most contact we have with anyone other than our outfitters family!! ;)
sounds like the outfitter I am going with. Headed west into New Mexico to enter there then south about 5 hours to camp....how was the hunting?
HarleyRiders97

Post by HarleyRiders97 »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: February 10th, 2018, 9:57 am Are you guys taking your own guns or using guns provided by the outfitter? I've heard it can be a hassle to get a gun into the country, but have never tried it. It's enough of a hassle flying with one in the USA.
using their guns, don't want any extra stoppage or hassle at the border crossing
HarleyRiders97

Post by HarleyRiders97 »

fountain wrote: February 8th, 2018, 9:25 pm I went last may to Chihuahua with El Halcon. It was a fairly quick and whirlwind type ride out of town away from the airport. They told us they wanted to get us out of that part quickly as that was a bad part of town. We then went on into a bigger city that was all good. They had a Lowes, a nice,but grocery store and other common looking places. It was a good part of town. We never felt unsafe on the trip. Manuel and his sons have all of that under control down there and have some very high pull and are very well respected people.
It was about a 2 hr ride to where the lodge was. It was about 1.5 hr rides each way to hunt.
****one VERY IMPORTANT THING....if you have any type of motion sickness or tink you may have any motion sickness...take zofran or something like phenergan. The roads into the mountains are very rough and will toss you around a bit. My wife got sick the first morning....as well as my guide. When i saw him get sick..and he lives there...I knew we were in for some wild rides.
Overall it was a great trip and safety wasn't an issue. We weren't worried, even when we saw the military vehicles riding through with the. 50 cals on the top of numbers with people behind them. It was all good.
If you are bringing your bird back, it would be best in your checked luggage . If you fly with them, be prepared for a little extra time getting them back in at the usda and be prepared for some questioning at any airport you go through. It would really be best to leave them in your checked luggage. Leaving Chihuahua, with our birds in our carry on, I got worried we were fixing to have them taken. The language barrier is difficult.
We are hunting in Chihuahua but not with El Halcon. How was the hunting?
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

HarleyRiders97 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:32 pm
soiltester wrote: February 10th, 2018, 7:12 am Our outfitter picks us up at the El Paso airport and we cross over the boarder at a crossing west of there. This is the 3rd year and 4th trip to the hunting areas in the mountains, about 5 hrs away!! :thumbup:
sounds like the outfitter I am going with. Headed west into New Mexico to enter there then south about 5 hours to camp....how was the hunting?
Hawkins family Outfitters & more turkeys than you can shoot ..wait & pick a nice tom if you only want 1 trophy, and enjoy watching the others :thumbup:
I've taken 3 on each of the last 2 trips and looking at 1, but may take 2 this trip?? ;)
Allen's sons, Allen, Rudy and Jorge help out getting us around in the mountains and set up. Jorge has his hunting own area and camp also.

On a side comment:
I'd never go back to Jorge at Campeche for a peacock(oscellated) as his auto's are all full of junk and have never been taken apart and jam consistently!! :banghead:
1 shot auto's :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gobbler Talk”