guided options for Eastern turkeys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
bpettet

guided options for Eastern turkeys

Post by bpettet »

I'm going for my grand slam this year and have my plans in place except for Eastern turkey. I have family in MO and plan to do some hunting there but would like to have something with higher success odds than hunting on land where "we saw some turkey last week" kind of thing. I never have more than a few days at a time.

Any recommendations on a 2-3 day Eastern guided hunt with high success rate? I'm in TX and don't mind traveling a few states over if needed. I'm not a fancy lodging kind of guy. I just enjoy the hunting and meeting new people. I've been researching but wanted to drop a line here to see if there were options I hadn't thought of.

Thanks in advance.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: guided options for Eastern turkeys

Post by howl »

You can probably join a large acreage hunt club for the cost of a guided hunt. That'd give you the option of multiple trips if necessary. Just make sure it is a region that actually has turkeys. Numbers are down in many places these days.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

Good point. I will take that into consideration. Any suggestions on hunt clubs with Eastern turkeys? I haven't done that before. To be candid, that's one of my least fav things about TX...all the leased ground but I understand why.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Check out Dan at pennyrile outfitters in Kentucky. Lots of birds I think it's a 4 day hunt 2 birds. Nice lodging lots of great ground. I think he is around 600 bucks guided. He usually books up early so may already be full.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I'd try to find a good outfitter in Ky or Tennessee. I've hunted with Long Creek Outfitters in Hopkinsville, but it was 10 years or more ago. Clint Jackson ran the outfit and they did good for us.
I know a few in Mo but none I could recommend. Pm me and I can share who I'd not recommend.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

I hadn't heard of Pennyrile but that looks excellent. Emailed them. Might be perfect.

PM to Jstocks.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Bryan, welcome aboard. There's a wealth of turkey info here and folks aren't quite as grumpy as they are at the doublegunshop site. ;) Gil
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

Hah...thanks for the invite Gil.

I didn't see on Pennyrile's website where it specified the hunt was guided. If it is, I'm pretty interested in that hunt.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

Heard back quickly from Pennyrile...hunt is semi-guided. I thought it might be for that low price. Unfortunately, the one hunt date they had listed that worked for me is sold already. Super nice guy though.

The search continues!
fountain

Post by fountain »

Could you do a hunt swap? Texas Rio for eastern?
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

I wish I had private TX land to offer for a hunt swap. Unfortunately, no.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Dan and nancy run a great camp. I know he says semi guided but you gotta know dan he can't help himself when it comes to hunting turkeys. I Figured he would be full.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

Dan has emailed a few times tonight...super fast replies and very nice. He does have an opening for 4/26-4/29 if anyone is looking.
Trash2

Post by Trash2 »

Go hunt Sabine, there are plenty of easterns running around E. Texas
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Off the top of my head, briarcreeksportsmanclub.com in Georgia. I expect there are as good of options in more convenient locations, though.
Gamblinman

Post by Gamblinman »

Trash2 wrote: February 9th, 2018, 9:52 pm Go hunt Sabine, there are plenty of easterns running around E. Texas
Some counties have been closed due to restocking. There are some good populations in scattered areas, but its tough getting access.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

I think there were 11 counties closed in E. TX
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

I looked at the club option in GA. I don’t think that works for me but thanks for suggesting it.

Should have mentioned earlier that my main availability for this Eastern hunt would be the first 3 weeks of May.
aristico

Post by aristico »

I think your best bet for may would be in the northeast. Ive hunted Maine and New york with good success. Cant remember the outfitters names for the life of me. Im getting old.
fountain

Post by fountain »

If possible, I would just try and plan for earlier next year for somewhere in the southeast.

You could possibly go to somewhere like Pennsylvania during those times and do ok. For the most part, when may rolls around in the southeast, the seasons are closed or the birds just aren't working as well after being chased hard for 75 days
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Eastern NE has some fine hunting in May. Iowa, Mo, and Eastern Kansas too. I haven't hunted Wisconsin but their season runs well into May.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I would check out Wi they have descent tag prices and lots of turkeys plus a later season. Only draw back is you have to apply for a season and their application date may be passed. I'm not to sure on left over tags or even if they have them. I hunted public land in Iowa a few years ago but just one turkey and pricey but lots of them. Too bad the dates don't line up for Kentucky as he has a ton of land and birds to choose from. Another thought would be a member here painterchick i believe. She was doing hunts in New York not sure if she is still around though maybe gobbler would know.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to book a 3 day guided hunt in MO for 2 birds. The nice benefit is I'm also curious about their muzzleloading deer hunts so this will give me a chance to check them out.

Feel free to offer more options as I would like to hunt in some different states next year.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

GLS wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:28 pm Bryan, welcome aboard. There's a wealth of turkey info here and folks aren't quite as grumpy as they are at the doublegunshop site. ;) Gil

What !!!
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Welcome. Whereabouts in E. TX are you from? I'm in Angelina Co.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”