Oklahoma clothing

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Oklahoma clothing

Post by howl »

Do y'all that hunt out there wear different clothing? I generally hunt in lightweight stuff. Worst I get is briars. The country out there looks like it will have some cacti, etc.
Last edited by howl on January 28th, 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: OK clothing

Post by Grumpy »

Out here there is no cactus in the mountains around here, I have never seen any in any mountains I;ve been in but then again maybe some ranges have cactus. Not much low areas with cactus that has turkeys, there is a few places along a couple different rivers in the farm land around here but the turkeys don't do good along these rivers as there is nothing but bare branched Cottonwood trees to roost in and that gives the birds zero protection when it is 30-40 below zero with a howling wind, the turkeys freeze to death. These clowns planting turkeys just can't seem to figure it out that the birds need pine tree groves to get in to get out of the cold and wind and cattle operations to hang around during the snow months so they have access to a food source. Montana never had wild turkeys because of the winters and until they were introduced from Co. and Neb. in the 1950's and it took forever for them to take hold. Some places seem to do better than others but these river bottoms they keep stalking in this farm area around here is a waste of time and money. They do fine for a couple of mild winters then we get one like this year with crusted snow and 30 below zero for a week or so and the turkeys drop dead like flies.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
fountain

Re: OK clothing

Post by fountain »

Typically wear rather thin/light stuff here in S Ga. Gets rather hot down here. We will have some cold mornings here and there. I will throw on a pullover or whatever is needed for the cold. The thing worse than the cold, is the skeeters....thank GOD for whoever who invented the thermacell
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Oklahoma clothing

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Not sure if I completely understand your question. Sal and I've hunted 15 States, we dress to weather, regardless of terrain.

Okie can be bad worst is Texas, we left Texas and stopped. Seriously I looked like me and Freddy Krueger went 10 rounds. I had purple lacerations all over my back, knees and belly from thorn trees. They also got these stupid sand Spurs, do not walk out without shoes. Not sure I've screamed $+)!$#@ louder. Prickly pear ain't that bad just avoid it.

But in all honesty if your not gonna wear riot gear, wear your normal stuff.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

OK weather can vary a lot. Be prepared for a cold snap, especially the first couple weeks of season. I"ve hunted and killed birds on days where the wind was gusting 50mph. Seen frost, seen rain and sweated like a suana...all in NW OK turkey seasons. Some wind is guaranteed. A lot of wind is a definite possibility.
As far as the terrain and plant life, nothing real nasty at all. No cactus and not much in the way of briars like here in E. TX.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

Weather is a bigger factor. We Okies say if you don't like the weather today wait till tomorrow. In the past two weeks I've seen -3 to low 70s in January.

Turkey Season I've seen low 90s and mid 20s. Just be prepared to layer.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
E72

Post by E72 »

If your'e going west , Id watch putting your hand in the dirt or crawling around for that matter. Sand spurs will stick ya every time! :hmph: Pants with the knee pads would be nice. Like mentioned , layer for temps. Can be some cool mornings but real hot when the sun is out and high. We saw some fire ants too ,so watch where you sit. ;) SE Oklahoma duck camp I caught a Scorpion crawling around in the cabin bedroom . :shock: :lol: Lots of fun critters in Okie. :D Have fun, Good luck !
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Thanks.

Sounds like the Sandhills of SC where I grew up running barefoot. Except the wind. Be kinda fun to get to call loudly for a change, though.
ww

Post by ww »

How about snakes in Oklahoma? Should snake boots be worn?
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

As an Okie I'll say this. The weather can change daily. The potential for snakes is always present and I would worry if the wind didn't blow as that's a sign of an apocalypse.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

I hunt the Black Kettle nearly every season. Rugged terrain. Lots of sand burs, stinging nettle, some cactus, and lots of thorn trees in bottoms.
I wear heavy carrhart camo pants with thermal underwear in am. It's usually chilly. Warms up fast. Usually have a jacket, leather gloves, hat & toboggan.
I wear good leather boots with snake leggings, and knee pads for the occasional crawl. Hensce the leather gloves.
Carry warm weather and cold weather gear!!!
Hope this helps
K9Doc
hootn

Post by hootn »

2012 in black kettle, camping at skip out lake the first night it got down to 28 degrees 2 to 3 days later it was over 100 in the afternoons.

scott
Gamblinman

Post by Gamblinman »

Be prepared for about anything. I've killed gobblers on opening day in a snowstorm, and in 90°heat. I wear 2 light layers so I can remove as needed. Windproof clothing is a real plus.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Thanks. If I go it'll be late April during the week.

I was trying to figure how it got cold or snowed in turkey season at that latitude, but then I saw it is over 2000' elevation. That's like being on top of a mountain in the SE.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”