Old SxS

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Old SxS

Post by howl »

Anyone hunt sometimes with an older double? I handled a Parker at the Cabela's in Augusta yesterday. Nice! I don't know that I'd put any real effort into hunting gobblers with one, but it'd be fun to have one to play around with on targets or crows, etc.

Thing is, how do you find out about what is what to know what to look for? A further complication is I'd need a neutral stock. Too many of the doubles I've handled and liked had stocks twisted up for righties.
MAK

Re: Old SxS

Post by MAK »

Got a couple old single shots, i swear i'm going take to the woods, but it's hard to leave one of the Rem short barreled sp's at home.

Maybe this year will be the year.
MAK
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

MAK wrote: January 11th, 2018, 11:46 am Got a couple old single shots, i swear i'm going take to the woods, but it's hard to leave one of the Rem short barreled sp's at home.

Maybe this year will be the year.

I switched over from pump and auto over to single-shots a half dozen seasons ago and I don't regret the decision. A single-shot on turkeys is no different than using a Ruger No. 1 on big game. Over the past 41 seasons there have been occasions needing a second shot, but I now put complete confidence in a single-shot. Gil
firedup

Post by firedup »

Old doubles, or any old gun, can be tricky. Chamber length can be shorter than 2 3/4" so you have to buy special shells or reload. Barrel integrity is a major concern on any old gun. Damascus barrels are considered by most to be non shootable. Saying that there are many (including me) who have old Dammy guns and we do shoot them but at low pressures and lite loads. For a starter gun stick with steel barrels that have been nitro proofed and are designed for modern powders. A lot of these older guns are blackpowder cartridge types. Shoot light non magnum loads and by all means, HAVE THE GUN CHECKED BY A COMPETENT GUNSMITH before you "pull the trigger" and invest the cash. Some of these old shooters are an investment in $$$. They are fun to shoot and mess around with. Adds a real different experience to the hunt. And they certainly will kill turkeys. Maybe not at TSS yards tho..... :wink: 2 really good links to learn more.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb ... p?ubb=cfrm

2017 fall turkey. 1894(ish) English double gun. Damascus barrels. Black powder cartridges. This one is in really good shape. BUT...25 yards is about the range. :D
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

firedup wrote: January 11th, 2018, 7:52 pm Old doubles, or any old gun, can be tricky. Chamber length can be shorter than 2 3/4" so you have to buy special shells or reload. Barrel integrity is a major concern on any old gun. Damascus barrels are considered by most to be non shootable. Saying that there are many (including me) who have old Dammy guns and we do shoot them but at low pressures and lite loads. For a starter gun stick with steel barrels that have been nitro proofed and are designed for modern powders. A lot of these older guns are blackpowder cartridge types. Shoot light non magnum loads and by all means, HAVE THE GUN CHECKED BY A COMPETENT GUNSMITH before you "pull the trigger" and invest the cash. Some of these old shooters are an investment in $$$. They are fun to shoot and mess around with. Adds a real different experience to the hunt. And they certainly will kill turkeys. Maybe not at TSS yards tho..... :wink: 2 really good links to learn more.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb ... p?ubb=cfrm

2017 fall turkey. 1894(ish) English double gun. Damascus barrels. Black powder cartridges. This one is in really good shape. BUT...25 yards is about the range. :D
Good advice. That's a great pic and a pretty gun. Who made that old girl?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That is stylin'! I been digging around those sites for awhile. It's almost too much information to process.
firedup

Post by firedup »

History is a little fuzzy. All the proofs and markings indicate Birmingham, England. Confident of that. Proof and marks date to mid 1890's. Gun is marked R. Richards. Old records show there was a Roland Richards making guns in his own shop under his own name in Birmingham around 1860. I WISH it was a Wesley Richards but.....Its a nice old gun and a blast to mess around with. Proud to give it a home!
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

It looks to be in fine shape with a nicely picked piece of wood for the stock. I like the sculpting of the hammers. Once a year my buddy and I join up with a vintagers group at Whittington here in New Mexico for a couple of days of shooting some fine old and not so old shotguns. Sure is fun.

Return to “Gun Talk”