Cast Iron Cooking

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Cast Iron Cooking

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I've developed a love for cast iron. Anyone that knows Sal and I know cooking rivals hunting for our passion. We're both dorks, have more recipes saved in my book Facebook. From, smoking, to kamado, to black stone flat top to indoor cooking we love it. We also work well together in kitchen and know what each other excels at.

Lately have gotten into cast iron more and more. In part thanks to Douglas Updike turning me on to cast iron pizza. Which is the best homemade pizza you can make. I bought a pile of cast. (Doubles as great weapon if sal gets out of line)

Due to our cold winter's I've replaced grill for cast iron. But the real super star is the nu wave cook top. I've used cast on gas and electric but nothing heats as evenly as Nu wave not gas nor electric. Nothing heats as fast as induction cooking or brings cast to extreme temps like the NUWAVE for steaks. I can cook as good a steak indoors as over charcoal.

I know as seen on TV things get laughed at, but this things legit It will boil water faster than super burner on stove. When we go on turkey trip it goes, as it's safe in hotels.

Here is steak from New Year's Eve with Lobster

So tonight was lobter and scallops and twice baked potato.

First pizza an breadstix in cast

high res image hosting

And not cast but versatility of nu wave from turkey trip few years ago, used to haul a fryer around, not no more

get a photo url
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Cast Iron Cooking

Post by OLE RASPY »

Yep I like cast. Reading this is makin me hongrey.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Boy that steak looks good. I've decided that I prefer all of my elk and deer steaks in the cast iron skillet over the grill. I cooked six butterflied elk loin steaks last night on the cast iron and had two left over for lunch today.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Awesome!! :thumbup:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Man your killin me! Every bit of that looks delicious! We have a flat cast iron round plate we bake our pizzas on in the oven in the winter. Summer months we do it over the gas grill. Good either wY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hobbes wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 7:39 pm Boy that steak looks good. I've decided that I prefer all of my elk and deer steaks in the cast iron skillet over the grill. I cooked six butterflied elk loin steaks last night on the cast iron and had two left over for lunch today.
So jealous, elks my favorite red meat. My good friend is the best guide in our state was apart of 34 kills this year. H used to live a 1/2 mile now 2 hours.

What you up too

"Cooking elk"

Not fair

"Come up"

Screw you

Cast is amazing but that NUWAVE and it go hand and hand. Like you I have lived by a grill for twenty years. I think some things are better in cast.

Steak is Chuck eye not Chuck steak. It's taken from the cut before Ribeyes, only two on cow, used to be dirt cheap "butchers cut" now everyone has caught on and price went from 3 lb to 6 in some places. "Poor man's Ribeyes"

You put any cut of steak in front of me, ribeye, tenderloin, t bone, porterhouse, strip, sirloin I'm grabbing chuckeye every time. Tenderness of ribeye but with bolder flavor. I tend marinate in worchesterchire for an hour.
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Not to hi-jack your thread but..What's your secret for elk back straps? I have never been successful in cooking them were I felt they were edible. Loin is fine but the back straps turn out tough no matter how I cook or marinate them.

2gbl
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

DBLGBL wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 3:09 pm Not to hi-jack your thread but..What's your secret for elk back straps? I have never been successful in cooking them were I felt they were edible. Loin is fine but the back straps turn out tough no matter how I cook or marinate them.

2gbl
So much takes place during initial recovery. Than processing, how well silver skin is taken care of. Have never done anything fancy cooking wise with elk or venison. A few highpoints

Never cook elk or venison past 140, I pull at 128 hot & fast

Slice against grain, will help with tenderness tremendously both in prep and on table

I rarely marinate but seriously if it's tough get a jaccard tenderizer. 10-15 bucks at most outlets. Most get scared pushing surface bacteria in on med rare game, but I ain't scared, done it on about everything imaginable with no ill effects. Will seriously fix your problem.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

May be just what we need without knowing it. i Have been looking for a good way to sear a steak without stinking up the joint. My grill does not get hot enough.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I recommend Kent Rollins' cookbook for cast iron recipes. If nothing else, do the bread pudding and make the cream sauce with Clyde Mays.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

pedro wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 6:54 pm May be just what we need without knowing it. i Have been looking for a good way to sear a steak without stinking up the joint. My grill does not get hot enough.
I've always been a grill guy with cast grates. Than I read something that made so much sense. So much of a steaks flavor comes from carmelization or searing the outside. With grates even cast you only sear a portion of outside, hence lines, with a cast iron pan, you sear entire outside surface.

I love to grill but I seriously think I can cook as good a steak indoors as outside even if I nail both.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:46 pm
pedro wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 6:54 pm May be just what we need without knowing it. i Have been looking for a good way to sear a steak without stinking up the joint. My grill does not get hot enough.
I've always been a grill guy with cast grates. Than I read something that made so much sense. So much of a steaks flavor comes from carmelization or searing the outside. With grates even cast you only sear a portion of outside, hence lines, with a cast iron pan, you sear entire outside surface.

I love to grill but I seriously think I can cook as good a steak indoors as outside even if I nail both.
Over the last couple years I've come to the same conclusion, at least with elk and deer (I don't cook a lot of beef steaks). I like to tenderize 3/4" thick loin steaks with a meat hammer; season with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder (or just monteal); then cook as described. (I typically dont marinate.) I use a smoking hot cast iron skillet with butter (I usually smoke the house up) Sear both sides quickly and serve hot pink in the middle. As said, searing holds in juices and flavor. I like to make sure that the rest of the meal is ready to go so I'm ready to eat elk or deer hot. Elk should be served medium to rare or you'll turn it to leather.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hobbes wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 10:55 pm

Over the last couple years I've come to the same conclusion, at least with elk and deer (I don't cook a lot of beef steaks). I like to tenderize 3/4" thick loin steaks with a meat hammer; season with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder (or just monteal); then cook as described. (I typically dont marinate.) I use a smoking hot cast iron skillet with butter (I usually smoke the house up) Sear both sides quickly and serve hot pink in the middle. As said, searing holds in juices and flavor. I like to make sure that the rest of the meal is ready to go so I'm ready to eat elk or deer hot. Elk should be served medium to rare or you'll turn it to leather.
Butter makes everything better. I have that Blackstone propane flattop. Everything gets a healthy dose of butter from fajitas to Chinese to fried rice etc. Making everything ohhey gooey And it's good for you it's dairy lol.

And your right any wild red meat steaks cooked passed medium is dog food. I do like Salisbury venison steak however, but that's different...

Even beef, sal gets pissed. We go out for supper.
Yes mam the ribeye

How would you like that cooked

Oh to about 128-130

Draw drop on waitress

Hobbes you really need to look for a jaccard at Walmart they're 10 bucks, it is an amazing tool.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I'll have to see if they carry them at our local Wal-Mart or Target and give one a try.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Got a rusted, pitted cast iron skillet? Here's one man's method of resurfacing one to a smooth, slick surface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLV7fd0-fQ&t=305s
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Recently bought a immersion circulator. Works very well and the meat is perfect cooked at desired temps. Hence the reason for needing a good sear. The IC is an awesome tool to use. Beef short ribs come out amazing. Thick steaks, 2", shine with sous vide. No fail creme brûlée. What temp do you sear at with the nuwave? I saw the sear button, just wondering what worked for you.
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

shouldn't have read this thread before breakfast,,,now I'm STARVING!

great photos -

I'm gonna have to check out that nuwave,,,I travel a lot and that could be helpful
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

WoodMoose wrote: January 7th, 2018, 8:35 am shouldn't have read this thread before breakfast,,,now I'm STARVING!

great photos -

I'm gonna have to check out that nuwave,,,I travel a lot and that could be helpful
I see no reason how a hotel could disapprove, not a fire hazard at all. Bet people wonder what the smell is when deep frying or cooking jambalaya.

Plus it saves money and alot the places we hunt are remote with limited options and dinners are typically closed by time we get done roosting
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I agree with the induction cooktop great for travelling but make sure you have the proper metal pans or it won't work !
My ex-moose hunting partner was old school he only drank perked coffee and cooked with cast iron pans ! When I got married my wife wanted the new fancy cookware so I somehow lost all my cast iron but have been replacing it over the past few years ! Man this post reminds me of searing moose steaks from a fresh kill on an open wood fire way back in the bush back in the day ! :(
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 12:36 am
hobbes wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 7:39 pm Boy that steak looks good. I've decided that I prefer all of my elk and deer steaks in the cast iron skillet over the grill. I cooked six butterflied elk loin steaks last night on the cast iron and had two left over for lunch today.
So jealous, elks my favorite red meat. My good friend is the best guide in our state was apart of 34 kills this year. H used to live a 1/2 mile now 2 hours.

What you up too

"Cooking elk"

Not fair

"Come up"

Screw you
I keep hearing that elk is the best wild game meat but have never tried it ! If its better than moose it must real fine table fare !
I have read some of your buddies elk posts on the Michigan page pretty neat ! I would love to go elk hunting I have a possible DIY spot in Montana but I'll be in a wheel chair before I would get a tag LOL
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: January 7th, 2018, 9:36 am I agree with the induction cooktop great for travelling but make sure you have the proper metal pans or it won't work !
My ex-moose hunting partner was old school he only drank perked coffee and cooked with cast iron pans ! When I got married my wife wanted the new fancy cookware so I somehow lost all my cast iron but have been replacing it over the past few years ! Man this post reminds me of searing moose steaks from a fresh kill on an open wood fire way back in the bush back in the day ! :(
Yeah your right look for this symbol on box
inductionsign.jpg
inductionsign.jpg (9.28 KiB) Viewed 13221 times
Cooking on cast is awesome almost bought Dutch oven yesterday. Everyone one on my kamado forums are doing smoked chili on them. Smoking hamburger in upper rack with Dutch oven on bottom rack allowing drippings to fall into rest of chile.

How is moose? Elk is my favorite red meat but hardly get to eat it. Excited next weekend going to one of my best friends whom lived around the corner and recently moved. He said I have elk were bringing seafood and I'm excited. Gonna feast

His fiancee sal and I love to cook together and was sad to see them move. But elk guiding is his passion and they are a couple hours from here
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

to me, elk is good meat,,,but moose is better,,,,,the sheep (bighorns or thin horns) are the best but don't expect I'll ever get to hunt them again (unless I get real lucky in either the draws or the lottery,,,,,,,,,,)
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I had some Barbary sheep I believe it was once at Gobblenuts camp can't say i complained much about the taste when I was going for seconds ! I still love a nice moose steak but like you I say about sheep my last moose hunt was a number of years ago before our government decided they care more about transgenders than our wildlife so won't probably be hunting them again anytime soon. I would love to try some of that elk though !
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 7th, 2018, 10:48 am Cooking on cast is awesome almost bought Dutch oven yesterday. Everyone one on my kamado forums are doing smoked chili on them. Smoking hamburger in upper rack with Dutch oven on bottom rack allowing drippings to fall into rest of chile.
Those cast iron Dutch ovens are awesome for baking bread too. Get the oven heated to 500F with the dutch oven in it, and bake the bread for the first twenty minutes with the lid on, second fifteen to twenty off. The lid keeps the moisture in and makes for a great crust and the hot iron surrounding the loaf gives a nice even bake. Country style sourdough loaf.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Now that looks crazy good. Your killin me here!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Camp Dinner”