Anbody Remember When

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Anbody Remember When

Post by devastator »

30 years ago we just grabbed the shotgun and the trusty winchester#4 copper plated and never shot the dang thing at cardboard??And still killed birds.Never thought i would be loading my own which i love to do!!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Anbody Remember When

Post by OLE RASPY »

Yea but not 30 years ago. Lol
Just prolly 10 year ago hell I was killin them with dove load or whatever I had layin around. 👍🏻
Now I shoot hevi shot or long beard shells and a dedicated turkey gun with choke. Oh well. Sure is fun.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I remember the Winchester paper shells. My combo was #6 in the pipe followed by #4's in case a follow up was needed. I may need to go back to that theory. They were lead, no copper plate.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

Yep any ole high brass shells would do. And, a tricked out shotgun had a vent rib with a plain mid-rib bead to aid aiming.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Did something change that I missed? :)

Actually, I don't quite have 30 years but close. Ive always shot at paper on cardboard, but used to just check to see if I had a dozen or so shot in a turkey head target at 40ish and called it good. I'm still shooting lead and using the double bead. However my eyesight is at a point that my glasses wont allow me to focus on two beads and a turkey head unless he's point blank, and I shoot Longbeards part of the time. I may have to give in and change sighting systems.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Those all red ACTIVE shells were bad news ! Wish they still made them ! :cheers:
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Haven't been hunting them but about 10 years, but the first 2 or 3 birds I killed were with left over #2 steel shot from duck season.

No I use hw and tss haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

vaturkey wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 8:54 pm Those all red ACTIVE shells were bad news ! Wish they still made them ! :cheers:
I remember them and liked them.
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

vaturkey wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 8:54 pm Those all red ACTIVE shells were bad news ! Wish they still made them ! :cheers:
A pile of birds died to those Active shells and Remington Duplex 4x6 When I first started I used rabbit loads in a 410 or 20ga bolt action savage. Now I load my own TSS!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I was fortunate to have an old timer show me the ropes with them.. we had Hastings for rem from .640- 675. Normally settled in 650-655.Wed run entire gamut of choke constriction, how I learned about over choking signs lengthening forcing cone etc.

Their was no counting, eyeball check. My first dedicated gun was a so 870 sporting a burris 2.5 post scope a 655 Hastings and active 3" 5s which killed on both ends. Longest shot I've seen was 68 paces and my bud was 6' plus. I'd die to have it back.

I may have shot hevi before anyone on this forum. Remember seeing a add from a small company in sweet home Oregon. Everyone shot ol white, but not original 2 3/4 12g stuff at 12g. I still have some. The crap was amazing, poly wad put so much buffer like shooting a musket.

We had some old 2 3/4 1187s that wouldn't cycle it and probably reason they came out with 3" old white. I remember on the ol nwtf boards it was the 200 pellet quest.

That's kinda why I mentioned the cheap shell challenge. We decide on cheap lead load, rem nitro, fed bluebox etc and have a fun competition.
Yule

Post by Yule »

Sure was fun, buying all those cans of spray paint, so I could camo my first 3" ( SKB ) pump. Not sure how I got through the woods with that 28" barrel. Hard to believe that I now hunt with a 28.... gauge.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Yep, solid plastic red hulls!! Think I still have a few empty hulls. :thumbup:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .. I remember well in 1975 with my Savage 220 12 O/U and my trusty reloaded 1 1/4oz & Herco powder & #5's in a low brass AA shell!!
Kilt' and dandy in Michigan with that same load last spring :cheers:
Last edited by soiltester on January 3rd, 2018, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

When I first started, it was off the shelf for my 2.75" chambered Ithaca M37 choked by Stan Baker. Not too long after that we started testing handloads for our 10 gauge SxS's. 1980-81 best I recall. Stan, Bill and I blew out the center of the plywood pattern board at a local skeet range comparing loads shooting lead loads from 2 1/8 to 2.5 oz. I am sitting down in the photo with one of my 2 10 ga. doubles. Please note the can to my left. I was a professional at the time. Do not do this without supervision and not while hunting or driving. As you can see, I am doing neither at the time the photo was taken. ;) My hunting partner is holding a Deluxe Ithaca Mag 10. Our hair color and waistlines have changed since this photo was taken. Gil
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

GLS wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:48 am When I first started, it was off the shelf for my 2.75" chambered Ithaca M37 choked by Stan Baker. Not too long after that we started testing handloads for our 10 gauge SxS's. 1980-81 best I recall. Stan, Bill and I blew out the center of the plywood pattern board at a local skeet range comparing loads shooting lead loads from 2 1/8 to 2.5 oz. I am sitting down in the photo with one of my 2 10 ga. doubles. Please note the can to my left. I was a professional at the time. Do not do this without supervision and not while hunting or driving. As you can see, I am doing neither at the time the photo was taken. ;) My hunting partner is holding a Deluxe Ithaca Mag 10. Our hair color and waistlines have changed since this photo was taken. Gil
Is that a Bronco? I would love to have one restored. The Bronco not the 10ga. I bought a single shot 10ga camouflage turkey model about 82-83. My shoulder still hurts.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Looks like a Blazer.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I think it's a new GMC Jimmy. He eventually bought Chevys. My daughter hijacked the 42 year-old Made in Canada Woods down jacket I'm wearing. She gets compliments in Brooklyn. "Where did that jacket come from??" Gil
Fullfan

Post by Fullfan »

Looks like a 1976-1978 blazer
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I shot my first Turkey with 12ga. trap handload. 1 1/8 oz. of pure lead!
I was wearing blue jeans.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
MAK

Post by MAK »

You guys are young'uns - 1973 - 12 ga. - 2 3/4 in Remington Wingmaster with #2 shot Remington Green hull - i believe they were labeled Magnums, but my mind is slippin..........

I still have one Activ shell - they were AWESOME
MAK
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

GLS wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:48 am When I first started, it was off the shelf for my 2.75" chambered Ithaca M37 choked by Stan Baker. Not too long after that we started testing handloads for our 10 gauge SxS's. 1980-81 best I recall. Stan, Bill and I blew out the center of the plywood pattern board at a local skeet range comparing loads shooting lead loads from 2 1/8 to 2.5 oz. I am sitting down in the photo with one of my 2 10 ga. doubles. Please note the can to my left. I was a professional at the time. Do not do this without supervision and not while hunting or driving. As you can see, I am doing neither at the time the photo was taken. ;) My hunting partner is holding a Deluxe Ithaca Mag 10. Our hair color and waistlines have changed since this photo was taken. Gil
Dang Gil I thought that was Brad Pitt!!! :D
Yule

Post by Yule »

I had a 78 Blazer that looked very similar. That rig got an amazing 4 light poles per gallon. I'm sure I have some tailgate photos, if I could only find them. Thanks for bringing back some memories, Gil!
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

MAK wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 12:56 pm You guys are young'uns - 1973 - 12 ga. - 2 3/4 in Remington Wingmaster with #2 shot Remington Green hull - i believe they were labeled Magnums, but my mind is slippin..........

I still have one Activ shell - they were AWESOME
Me too. Exactly one. Must be >30 years old.
Attachments
16AAF3D4-A339-42E6-8466-B86F6517C30E.jpeg
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Hobbes, good eyesight is a crutch! Just learn to line up the blurs. It works fine. It's funny to me because I've been legally blind without glasses since 3rd grade. Now everyone else is getting old enough to see what I've been dealing with all these years. I am amused.
Yule

Post by Yule »

IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG (65.87 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG (34.23 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Just call me, Mr. Pack Rat....

Return to “Gun Talk”