Turkey Decoys in the timber.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Ridgeking

Turkey Decoys in the timber.

Post by Ridgeking »

So, Christmas, obviously is right around the corner. Tonight my bride asked my boy what it is that he would like for his main gift. The boy said that he wants a nice hen and jake decoy set. I don't use decoys in my hunting because I hunt in the woods and because I want the bird hunting me as he comes in and I don't want to risk having a tom hung up expecting a hen decoy to come to him as he struts 100 yards away.
I'm just curious what the consensus might be regarding using decoys in the timber? Before I talk the kid out of these things and try to talk him into a really nice slate call or something else...
It seems like a most guys use decoys these days I guess but I often wonder if that's just mostly marketing stuff. Dang it, I'm old and set in my ways.....

Thanks guys,
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey Decoys in the timber.

Post by guesswho »

I would think they would be just a effective/ineffective in timber as they would a field. Especially his choice of a hen and Jake combo. One advantage might be that the dekes might allow him to get away with a little more movement by drawing the attention to them vs a gobbler that comes in surveying the area looking for that hen he's been hearing. I don't use them myself, but if a young hunter was set on us using them I would. But I would try and persuade them into us hunting without them. If they insisted, so be it. After all it's all about them!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I don't believe a Tom that is looking to breed is going to shy away because of the trees.
I use 2 full body hens and 1 full body jake next to a large area of pine trees and those Toms seem to come right in to feel the wrath of the 20 gauge.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote: November 30th, 2017, 7:22 pm I would think they would be just a effective/ineffective in timber as they would a field. Especially his choice of a hen and Jake combo. One advantage might be that the dekes might allow him to get away with a little more movement by drawing the attention to them vs a gobbler that comes in surveying the area looking for that hen he's been hearing. I don't use them myself, but if a young hunter was set on us using them I would. But I would try and persuade them into us hunting without them. If they insisted, so be it. After all it's all about them!
Hmmm you might be looking at a seat next to gobblenut in the seniors home soon ! :lol:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: November 30th, 2017, 7:22 pm I would think they would be just a effective/ineffective in timber as they would a field. Especially his choice of a hen and Jake combo. One advantage might be that the dekes might allow him to get away with a little more movement by drawing the attention to them vs a gobbler that comes in surveying the area looking for that hen he's been hearing. I don't use them myself, but if a young hunter was set on us using them I would. But I would try and persuade them into us hunting without them. If they insisted, so be it. After all it's all about them!
There for a second I thought you were gonna ask him to be on the bondaka deke prostaff.. :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

:D
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

Definitely no decoys in the woods for me, but I rarely use decoys period.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I think decoys would work better in a field. I don't think I would use a decoy in the hardwoods if those woods were public lands.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I’ve used them in the woods in Wi. and Mi. And never had a problem. Like in any hunt, you win some, you lose some. I generally just used a hen or two. But have used a jake with them and that has worked well, also. Generally a pain in the a$$ to carry in more than less.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Ridgeking

Post by Ridgeking »

I think I've got him talked out of the decoys. I know there are guys who like them but I don't think they are going to be a benefit to him where we hunt. If he persists that he REALLY REALLY wants them... well, maybe we'll get him a nice Jake and hen. Maybe he'll show this old dog something...
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

For woods hunting, I would use one of the better foam decoys. The foam decoys are lighter, easier to tote, and the newer foam decoys have really good painting w/ feather iridescence. You really don't need the extreme detail available on some of the best decoys since you will be hunting in the woods w/ more shadows, also the foam decoys are much cheaper. Invest in a good camo bag w/ an over the shoulder strap to protect and tote the decoy. If you've never utilized a decoy, be very careful to place the decoy so that another hunter can't slip in, shoot the decoy, and shoot you as well. I've had a decoy shot and had them stalked several times on public ground which is why I don't even carry decoys on unregulated ground. The better more rigid foam decoys don't need this, but on some of the foam decoys you are best served by stuffing the head, neck, and body with plastic shopping bags to remove any of the creases and wrinkles which will make the decoy look better and easier to set up.
Last edited by decoykrvr on December 3rd, 2017, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

When hunting the mountains down in eastern Ky I usually never use the decoys. If it’s raining a lot I will find a place to set up in the bottoms and stake a Jake in place.

For here in Indiana we don’t have huge wooded areas. A 40 acre woods is not common, so I mostly run m gun. Now with late archery season I will deft use decoys.

Now for youth, I will use decoys to show them how turkeys interact with a deke. Plus it helps keep eyes off the kids movement.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I have used a 1/2 strut jake & hen from AvianX for several years in both woods & fields with success in both. I don't think it really
matters to the gob where he sees a hen & a challenger to his throne. If someone wants to use dekes in the woods, gopherit.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

HunterGKS wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 9:48 am I have used a 1/2 strut jake & hen from AvianX for several years in both woods & fields with success in both. I don't think it really
matters to the gob where he sees a hen & a challenger to his throne. If someone wants to use dekes in the woods, gopherit.
I've been "gopherit" with my DSD hen & jake for 3 seasons now and am lovin' "wherever" I put them :thumbup:
Also, as mentioned, it's the "carry" that decides if they go along :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 10:28 am
HunterGKS wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 9:48 am I have used a 1/2 strut jake & hen from AvianX for several years in both woods & fields with success in both. I don't think it really
I've been "gopherit" with my DSD hen & jake for 3 seasons now and am lovin' "wherever" I put them :thumbup:
Also, as mentioned, it's the "carry" that decides if they go along :LMAO:
Here at home, I set-up my 2 blinds a week or so ahead of the opener & leave the dekes & a camp chair in each so I don't
have to worry about carrying them. When I do have to carry, I have a military duffle bag with 2 shoulder straps so it's not
too bad.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I haven't had as much luck decoying in thick cover as in the open/fields...but maybe that's just coincidence.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I carry a foam collapsible decoy in my vest at all times but rarely use it BUT!!! I have seen times where if I would have used it in the woods it would have made the difference in killing a bird or not. I also hunt Missouri and where I hunt out there is a lot of fields and I about always use a decoy, using a deke in the woods is not going to hinder you in any way but it could mean the difference between killing a gobbler or not. Most of the time here in WV you can set up on a bird so when you first see him you can kill him but I like to watch them coming as it tends to give me a chance to settle my nerves. :D

Return to “Gobbler Talk”