Great morning

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Great morning

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Need a fall season, not only did sal and I experience a sunrise one could only create.
IMG_20171127_073949361_HDR.jpg
10257.jpeg
But we also got to hear some awesome yelping and gobbling. It was hard to get them in frame but 40 strong. A mix of gobblers, hens and poults
Heard the most beautiful keekee runs, assembly yelping, cutting. The whole language. Every bit of yelping, suction yelpers are really what they sounded like. Heard them coming forever and thought suction.
We did away with our fall season years ago and I'd agree, but we are now.over ran. Best I've seen, never thought we'd get back to late 90s numbers, but we've surpassed. Sal said other day fall season I'd never hunt fowl or pine goats again.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Great morning

Post by guesswho »

I agree. Those clear, clean, echoing yelps sound like someone proficient on a suction yelper.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Yup nothing better than hitting the fall woods with call, gun and some shells. I was able to get out just before the start of the Mi. firearms deer season and get into a good flock. Buddy got two young toms (curse him ) I decided to take a young hen. Filled our three tags in 2 days . Saw well over 70 birds and a big gobbler group with a couple real bruisers in it . :toothy7:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: November 29th, 2017, 7:16 am Yup nothing better than hitting the fall woods with call, gun and some shells. I was able to get out just before the start of the Mi. firearms deer season and get into a good flock. Buddy got two young toms (curse him ) I decided to take a young hen. Filled our three tags in 2 days . Saw well over 70 birds and a big gobbler group with a couple real bruisers in it . :toothy7:
If you still have your connection up here, you may wanna consider it, I know you liked it up here. We've blown up, it's insane how many turkeys again
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome Tom, send some of those turkeys to Georgia!!! We could use about 150,000 to get our numbers to where the DNR say they are!!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

2Shooter wrote: November 29th, 2017, 10:51 am Awesome Tom, send some of those turkeys to Georgia!!! We could use about 150,000 to get our numbers to where the DNR say they are!!!
Just wait, I never thought we'd rebound. But more than anything I believe turkeys are cyclical much like our ruffed grouse. Our grouse run a 10 year cycle and it's evident in the woods in up and down years with the amount of drumming you hear. Who's to say a turkey is different.

Alot of folks chalk up population declines to hard winter, wet spring, to many hunters, alfalatoxin in corn, predators. I just believe they're cyclical. Everyone here blames winter, but a couple years back fearing the worst after waste deep snow I had 18 gobs and 50 hens in front of me on opener and I know they were not fed throughout the winter. I think all the factors weigh in, but theirs something we don't know. Also in some mild years I'd go a few days and never hear a gobble on prime properties.

So many places hit a boom and then busted and slowly coming back.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

We have a decent fall season. I just wish we had a late fall gun season in Dec. we do have a early oct gun season, but I’m usually in deer mode
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

That's awesome Tom..I loved my Bday picture...
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

KPcalls wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:21 pm That's awesome Tom..I loved my Bday picture...
:walk:

Last night was last night of firearm. Slow night. Doe comes out and feeds in food plot at tale end of daylight, with a small pine between us. Not knowing if she'd feed in view before dark, I told sal to belly crawl her. Here she goes bobcatted her. Bang flop. I died laughing

She goes, can't believe you made me bobcat a deer
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: November 29th, 2017, 10:31 am
timbrhuntr wrote: November 29th, 2017, 7:16 am Yup nothing better than hitting the fall woods with call, gun and some shells. I was able to get out just before the start of the Mi. firearms deer season and get into a good flock. Buddy got two young toms (curse him ) I decided to take a young hen. Filled our three tags in 2 days . Saw well over 70 birds and a big gobbler group with a couple real bruisers in it . :toothy7:
If you still have your connection up here, you may wanna consider it, I know you liked it up here. We've blown up, it's insane how many turkeys again
That was definitely a great spot up in your neck of the woods. The guys father-in-law fed them at his cattle feed stations all winter. So there always seemed to be a good flock around in the spring. Unfortunately he had some marital problems and lost alot of his property.His ex told me I could still hunt but I didn't want to get into that. I haven't been up there since then. :( Good to here the numbers are rebounding !

Return to “Gobbler Talk”