Basics

Techniques and calls.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Basics

Post by Turkinator »

You guys have lit a fire, I'd love to get started coyote hunting. What would you suggest as a good basic set up? I know FoxPro has a bunch of different products, what would be a good one for s.w.Ohio? Are the Southern Ohio furs sellable? I will use my Benelli sbe2 12ga, and would like to pickup a 204 barrel for my Encore.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Basics

Post by Shooter »

Yep Ray, been after em a little bit myself. Bucks this year at the farm are small and not that many. Yote shows up, it's game on.
Been taking my two fresh varmint rifles. Both with low light capabilities. 22-250, and 220 Swift. Nothing wrong with a 204, but if you want the ultimate in varmint shooting, pick one of these two. I've shot every cal know to man, and I keep coming back to these two. With a 2" high 100yd zero, this guy bit the dust with a dead on hold. 5 rows to the right in the fence line is where the shot came from. Probably can't tell how far it is, but not sure a 204 could have made it,..... least with not a hold over. :mrgreen:
This was Thanksgiving morn.
Attachments
20171124_151447.jpg
20171124_151508.jpg
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

:thumbup: that's what I'm looking for!
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Hey Tommy, what type bullet, and what grain are you shooting?
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

2Shooter wrote: November 25th, 2017, 11:46 pm Hey Tommy, what type bullet, and what grain are you shooting?
I was shootin the 250 this day. It was a Rem model 7 Predator. I usually shoot Nosler BTs, but this particular rifle seems to like Hornady Zombie Max 50s better. 37 grns of Hodgdon Benchmark pushes it @3875, and quarter inch groups.
The Swift is actually quite stouter, but much heavier. Rem 700 VSSF, 55grn Nosler BTs, 37.5grn of Benchmark, Little over 3900, and one holers.
Was shootin CFE223 out of the 250, and 4064 out of the 220, but Benchmark made both of em come alive.
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

The 204 will kill coyotes but I prefer heavier bullets for coyotes. My main two coyote rifles are a 22-250 and a 243 Win.

On average I kill more coyotes with a shotgun than I do with a rifle. On most of the ranches I hunt coyotes on over half of the property is not real good for rifle calling. But I can call coyotes on the whole ranch with a shotgun. With a shotgun it normally only takes a few minutes to find a good enough spot to call from, if you have a rifle you may wander around for quite a while and never find a decent spot to call with a rifle.

When I am calling coyotes with another person at least 95% of the time we will have a shotgun shooter and a rifle shooter. We don't worry about stopping the coyotes. If the coyotes stops the rifle shooter shoots the coyote, if the coyote wants to run right up to the call the shotgun shooter stops the coyote with his shotgun.

With the Foxpro e-callers the more you pay will give you a better caller. The HammerJack caller for $299.95 is a good caller for the money, I wouldn't go with a less expensive one. The Banshee is also $299.95 and it runs on 10 AA batteries, the HammerJack runs on 8 AA batteries. If I was going to get one of these callers it would be the Banshee because of the 10 AA batteries with more power. If you want a decoy buy the HammerJack.

The CS-24C and the Fusion are both great callers for $399.95 each and they both have great remote controls.

The Shockwave is $499.95 and has the two speakers that you can point in about any direction you want them pointed at. Being able to point the two different speakers in the directions you want them pointed really pays off in the long run. Both the Shockwave and the CS-24 C run on 10 AA batteries so they have a little more power than the e-callers that run on 4 AA or 8 AA batteries.

I have always used a Foxpro external speaker with my FoxPro e-callers so I could point the speakers where I wanted them pointed to really spread out the sound.

If I was going to buy a FoxPro e-caller right now I would buy the CS-24C along with a SP-60 Speaker or I would buy the Shockwave that has the two adjustable speakers. Both of these callers have a great remote. With these remotes you can set up your favorite sounds on a favorite list and you can make some pre-set sounds.

The way I look at it is the pre-set sounds should be set up for emergency sounds. My #1 pre-set sound is Coyote Pup Screams on full blast volume, this sound works great at stopping coyotes that are running off after you just killed one of it's buddies. If you use FoxBang Coyote Pup Screams is a great sound for FoxBang. My #2 pre-set is Pup Distress 3 on full volume, my #3 pre-set is Vole Squeaks on volume 20 and it is fpr coaxing in coyotes in closer that have hung up at 300 to 500 yards away. My #4 pre-set is Male Coyote Challenge 4 on full volume so I can instantly challenge back any coyotes that have just challenged me.
Foxpro Field Staff
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Shooter wrote: November 26th, 2017, 11:52 am
2Shooter wrote: November 25th, 2017, 11:46 pm Hey Tommy, what type bullet, and what grain are you shooting?
I was shootin the 250 this day. It was a Rem model 7 Predator. I usually shoot Nosler BTs, but this particular rifle seems to like Hornady Zombie Max 50s better. 37 grns of Hodgdon Benchmark pushes it @3875, and quarter inch groups.
The Swift is actually quite stouter, but much heavier. Rem 700 VSSF, 55grn Nosler BTs, 37.5grn of Benchmark, Little over 3900, and one holers.
Was shootin CFE223 out of the 250, and 4064 out of the 220, but Benchmark made both of em come alive.
Yep, that Benchmark powder is a awesome powder, and also good in any Temp!!! Made my Rem R-15 .223 come alive also 1/2" groups. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I loved hunting with a Colt Hbar for coyotes.. killed many with the Colt over the years. sold it when the prices went nutso and have yet to grab another. Wanting to build one and as of yet, not got around to it.

I wish Joseph Wirth and Rob ******* would get on here and give some tips and advice on killing more yotes.

Last I read on facebook from Joseph, he killed 33 coyotes in a week. Hes on the MFK (made for killing) prostaff using mouthcalls and a icotek e-caller. He has a Ar with a Pulsar nightvision scope that is out of this wrold bad to the bone. He shot one coyote at over 400 yards with the Pulsar Ar15
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

derbyacresbob wrote: November 26th, 2017, 2:38 pm The 204 will kill coyotes but I prefer heavier bullets for coyotes. My main two coyote rifles are a 22-250 and a 243 Win.

On average I kill more coyotes with a shotgun than I do with a rifle. On most of the ranches I hunt coyotes on over half of the property is not real good for rifle calling. But I can call coyotes on the whole ranch with a shotgun. With a shotgun it normally only takes a few minutes to find a good enough spot to call from, if you have a rifle you may wander around for quite a while and never find a decent spot to call with a rifle.

When I am calling coyotes with another person at least 95% of the time we will have a shotgun shooter and a rifle shooter. We don't worry about stopping the coyotes. If the coyotes stops the rifle shooter shoots the coyote, if the coyote wants to run right up to the call the shotgun shooter stops the coyote with his shotgun.

With the Foxpro e-callers the more you pay will give you a better caller. The HammerJack caller for $299.95 is a good caller for the money, I wouldn't go with a less expensive one. The Banshee is also $299.95 and it runs on 10 AA batteries, the HammerJack runs on 8 AA batteries. If I was going to get one of these callers it would be the Banshee because of the 10 AA batteries with more power. If you want a decoy buy the HammerJack.

The CS-24C and the Fusion are both great callers for $399.95 each and they both have great remote controls.

The Shockwave is $499.95 and has the two speakers that you can point in about any direction you want them pointed at. Being able to point the two different speakers in the directions you want them pointed really pays off in the long run. Both the Shockwave and the CS-24 C run on 10 AA batteries so they have a little more power than the e-callers that run on 4 AA or 8 AA batteries.

I have always used a Foxpro external speaker with my FoxPro e-callers so I could point the speakers where I wanted them pointed to really spread out the sound.

If I was going to buy a FoxPro e-caller right now I would buy the CS-24C along with a SP-60 Speaker or I would buy the Shockwave that has the two adjustable speakers. Both of these callers have a great remote. With these remotes you can set up your favorite sounds on a favorite list and you can make some pre-set sounds.

The way I look at it is the pre-set sounds should be set up for emergency sounds. My #1 pre-set sound is Coyote Pup Screams on full blast volume, this sound works great at stopping coyotes that are running off after you just killed one of it's buddies. If you use FoxBang Coyote Pup Screams is a great sound for FoxBang. My #2 pre-set is Pup Distress 3 on full volume, my #3 pre-set is Vole Squeaks on volume 20 and it is fpr coaxing in coyotes in closer that have hung up at 300 to 500 yards away. My #4 pre-set is Male Coyote Challenge 4 on full volume so I can instantly challenge back any coyotes that have just challenged me.
Are you hunting day or night? And, do you concentrate more on coyote vocals rather than rabbit distress ect?
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

All of my coyote calling is during the daytime. It is illegal to hunt at night in the area I live and hunt in.

I use rabbit, rodent and bird distress more than I use coyote vocals but I do use coyote vocal sounds more than I use to. When coyotes challenge me I have been having pretty good success calling those coyotes in.

Most of the time I do play Pup Distress 3 on full volume at the end of my stands for 3 to 4 minutes.
Foxpro Field Staff

Return to “Predator Calling”