What's the Best Spurs You Ever Killed

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What's the Best Spurs You Ever Killed

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I was read'n SpurHntr's post on here from back in June where him and his buddy killed a couple of NICE Wisconsin gobblers, one had 1.5" spurs and the other was 1.75". My question is what is the best spurs you ever killed?
hobbes

Re: What's the Best Spurs You Ever Killed

Post by hobbes »

Ive not kept track of most of my spurs, especially since hinting mostly Merriam's now. Best spurs I've taken came off a lightweight tom in IL. My brother and I doubled on a pair of toms that came in with several hens in a drizzling rain. The whole lot marched in like they'd been waiting on us all morning. Both birds were strutting. My brother shot the bird that appeared to be the dominant bird. His was heavier but mine had longer spurs. Seems like his were 1 3/8 or 1 7/16 (been a while). Mine had one really sharp 1 5/8" spur and one that had the point chipped off and was closer to 1 4/8" or 1 9/16".

I consider myself fortunate if a bird around here has a 1" spur.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

hobbes wrote: November 21st, 2017, 11:54 am Ive not kept track of most of my spurs, especially since hinting mostly Merriam's now. Best spurs I've taken came off a lightweight tom in IL. My brother and I doubled on a pair of toms that came in with several hens in a drizzling rain. The whole lot marched in like they'd been waiting on us all morning. Both birds were strutting. My brother shot the bird that appeared to be the dominant bird. His was heavier but mine had longer spurs. Seems like his were 1 3/8 or 1 7/16 (been a while). Mine had one really sharp 1 5/8" spur and one that had the point chipped off and was closer to 1 4/8" or 1 9/16".

I consider myself fortunate if a bird around here has a 1" spur.
I have hunted Missouri every spring for about the last 20 years and have taken a bunch of birds out there and I think it would be safe to say that the birds that I have killed out there with over 1" spurs I could probably count on one hand. I have taken 5 birds in MO that had multiple beards (2 triple bearded and 3 double bearded) but good spurs just seem hard to come by out there, for me anyway.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

My longest spurs were on one of my largest birds. Plus he had a really long beard as well.
His spurs were 1 3/8" and 1 1/4". He weighted 21 lbs. 11 oz. with 11 1/2" beard. I took him
On April 15 2017.
Mike
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

1 inch and the other was 15/16 inch, these Merriams don't seem to get a real long spur, none that I have ever seen anyway
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

1 3/4" twice. A Osceola and a Eastern.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Hard to say, since I don't measure anything. I'll say it's always the ones on the one I'm hunting at the time.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Got a hand full 1 5/8 seems to be my threshold...
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: November 21st, 2017, 3:34 pm Got a hand full 1 5/8 seems to be my threshold...
I'm hear'n ya, my cutoff must be 1.5" as I just can't seem to get past that. :banghead:
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

My best was 1.5" on both spurs and my first hand loaded TSS bird so that made it even better.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

1.325”
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I've posted this before on here I've killed an been apart of a number of 1.25 birds they always seem to have wide Spurs. 1.5 plus always seem skinny Spurs. Honestly think it's genetic makeup. Honestly think them birds at 1.25 are every bit as old as the 1.5+ my 2 pennies.

We can debate deer genetics for days, why not turkey.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

The bird in my avatar is my biggest at 1.75" and 1.5" .
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

1 bird with 1.5", 1 bird with 1-7/16", couple with 1-3/8", couple 1.25"
Proverbs 3:5-6
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

My longest spurred bird came from SE Kansas with 1 9/16 spurs. A couple of my buddies have taken birds from the same area with 1.5 or better spurs. I’ve also taken a few birds with 1 3/8 spurs in N MS and KY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Longest spurs I've ever seen on a bird I killed was 1-7/16" off a Texas rio.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

hookedspur wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 3:09 am The bird in my avatar is my biggest at 1.75" and 1.5" .
Dems nice, I use to say if I ever killed one with 1.5" spurs I would get it mounted. I killed my 7th bird this spring with 1.5" spurs and have yet to get one mounted, but I swear if I ever kill one with 2" spurs I WILL get it mounted, probably.........maybe.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Easy - 2008, Hardee County Fl, Osceola, 1.625 & 1.50 spurs, 11.875" beard. This bird currently stands at #119 on the Florida Turkey Registry. Just in the right place at the right time. This bird came to a full strut decoy, shied away twice, slipped back within range and got popped. Image

BTW - adding pics now a pain in the butt :lol:
Last edited by joey46 on November 22nd, 2017, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

joey46 wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 11:13 am Easy - 2008, Hardee County Fl, Osceola, 1.625 & 1.50 spurs, 11.875" beard. This bird currently stands at #119 on the Florida Turkey Registry. Just in the right place at the right time. This bird came to a full strut decoy, shied away twice, slipped back within range and got popped. Probably add a picture soon.
I just can't seem to get over that 1.5" hump and you are exactly right it's just luck 99% of the time when you do kill one with really nice spurs because you don't know what kind of spurs is on them when you squeeze the trigger. back in 1992 (I think) me and a buddy of mine was out before season filming birds and we were driving out a gravel road headed back home when I looked down in the woods and there was a longbeard walking about 20 yards over the bank so I grabbed the camcorder and started filming him, my buddy wanted to drive out the road and call him up and I said "NO....I am going to hunt that bird" when we got back home we stuck the tape in the VCR and you could clearly see the spurs on that bird, I killed him Friday the first week of season and his spurs were 1.5", hooked and sharp. I was very fortunate that year as I killed five birds and they all had 1.25" spurs or better but most of the time it's just the luck of the draw.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: November 21st, 2017, 3:34 pm Got a hand full 1 5/8 seems to be my threshold...
I’m with you. That too seems to be my ceiling and only then by pushing the cuticle and measuring generously. And, those were either sick or hard of hearing. I know that because they came to my calling.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

1.75" is best matching set I have. Have numerous 1.5" where one of the sides were broke off
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

1.5" can't get over that hump!!!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

:violent1: 1 7/16". I can't get to that 1.5" hump!
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Just a smidget over 1 1/2" . Public land gobbler as well.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”